Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Simpson, The Hive
Razor: Erik Anton Berg, Eskilstuna/Sweden
Soap: Dr Harris Marlborough
AS: Floid, Itlaian blue
Edt: Penhaligon's Castile
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean indeed :D

This big (7/8) swede's all business, two days stubble was history in no time. Yesterday was the shortest day of this year, now it has turned and it's becoming lighter for every day (I don't like the winter ;)) and my Christmas holiday started too :D
0081024x645.jpg

Prep L'Occitane Cedarwood Soap
Razor Vintage Orion Kikuboshi 13/16
Strop Kanayama Cordovan #8000
Brush Simpsons Chubby 1 in Super
Cream GFT Coconut Oil
Alum & Witch Hazel
Una Brennan Neroli Moisturiser
Penhaligon's Castile Edt

A fantastic super smooth two pass shave from the Orion Kikuboshi, I really love my Japanese razors.

fotoflexer_photo-5.jpg

Mikael said:
Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Simpson, The Hive
Razor: Erik Anton Berg, Eskilstuna/Sweden
Soap: Dr Harris Marlborough
AS: Floid, Itlaian blue
Edt: Penhaligon's Castile
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean indeed :D

This big (7/8) swede's all business, two days stubble was history in no time. Yesterday was the shortest day of this year, now it has turned and it's becoming lighter for every day (I don't like the winter ;)) and my Christmas holiday started too :D
0081024x645.jpg

What a delightful photograph, very festive. I also like the TSR snow flakes dancing across the screen, with your dark blue background. Excellent.

I too have "The Hive" but not the 2 band Manchurian, Mark @ Vulfix made me a custom 3 band super. This one joins my rotation of ToGo brushes.

Charles U.K

Prius111 said:
What a delightful photograph, very festive. I also like the TSR snow flakes dancing across the screen, with your dark blue background. Excellent.

I too have "The Hive" but not the 2 band Manchurian, Mark @ Vulfix made me a custom 3 band super. This one joins my rotation of ToGo brushes.

Charles U.K

Thank you, most kind of you!

I really like this brush, I do think it's a "reg" two band in Simpson super though, not Manchurian. Never the less a good brush, but to be honest, for my taste, I think this kind of knot/brush would be best in a Simpson three band super (so, in my mind Mark made a wise move for you :D).

Christmas work piss up hangover shave.
5 pints of unfamiliar real ales
One Glenfiddich double
Two Jagermeisters
Custom double quarter pounder with bacon but no cheese
When home, 3 pints of water before bed and during the night.

Cella
E J boar
Weber handle with New head
Bleue Extra - shave 2
Scent from Heaven Aramis style moisturising balm

Very nice indeed

Greetings

Saturday 22nd December 2012
Prep: Shower
Razor: Ever Ready Streamline
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated
Brush: Semogue 830 Boar
Soap: Cella
Aftershave: Dove Sensitive Balm

Another much improved shave with the Streamline and zero tenderness, I'm nearly there!

Regards
Dick

Saturday:

Valet Autostrop
Gem SS blade (despined and trimmed,1)
Palmolive Classic Lather Cream
Omega boar brush
Speick Aftershave Balm

First shave (2 passes plus touchup) with the Valet; surprisingly mild performance having anticipated an Ever Ready 1912 experience. How long will blade last I wonder?

Prep: Shower
Pre-shave: Proraso Green
Soap: Boots Shave Stick
Razor: Merkur Progress (mark-3)
Blade: 7 o'clock Green
Brush: New Forest 2213
Aftershave: Alum block, Tabac Aftershave Balm, Body Shop Activist Edt

Saw the shave stick in Boots yesterday and thought I'd give it a go. Very impressed at how well it performs as a soap, excellent coverage and lubrication.
I'm trying 7 o'clocks in the Progress and found it gives an easy shave. I think setting the razor to mark-3 is as far as I want to go with this blade, the allum block stung a little all over my face afterwards, so I think that is my limit.
Also first time using Tabac ASB, seems to feel very smooth afterwards although stings a little on application. I have a stinking cold so can't judge the smell but the Mrs. says she likes it.
Result: Feeling much better and squeaky-clean now and would use this combination again.

Palmolive stick
Vulfix Bodger
EJDE89L, Supermax Blue Diamond (titanium)
RSC balm

Had to work harder than I like to to get the smoothness I like. Seems to be the way with Supermax blades on the 2nd shave. I certainly wouldn't try a 3rd shave with them. They do give a very good 1st shave though, good blade given the price.

Norfolkdick said:
Another much improved shave with the Streamline and zero tenderness, I'm nearly there!

It's interesting to see the parallels with you getting used to the Streamline and I getting used to the OCMM. I believe that you have an OCMM too and get great shaves from it, I have a Streamline and get great shaves from it. It's good to see that both our shaves with new or unfamiliar razors are getting better. The last few shaves I've had with an OCMM have been fantastic, they were a bit rough at first. It seems it's the same with you and the Streamline.

Today's shave:

Proraso Sandalwood cream
Omega Silvertip
Gem OCMM
Gem blade
Witch Hazel
T&H Trafalgar AS

As mentioned above, fantastic shave. Bowl lathered the Proraso and I think I got enough lather for the whole street! Great stuff.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

rebranded Simpsons best
1958 Executive/Personna74 (NOS)
RL Safari SS (NOS)
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
RL 'Safari' EdT (old juice)

What can I say about this blade....quite a bit actually. Was set to replace it today but still no need. I'm not the kinda guy who tries to push the most shaves from every blade.....why bother if the performance isn't there.

Anyway, paired with this razor (dialed in juuuust right), I've got 13 really pleasant shaves with just the one blade as of this morning. Normally I toss a blade after 3-4 shaves. Pretty crazy.

BBS results,

Martin

oversaturn said:
Saturday, 22.xii.2012

Predopobarba Proraso
Vulfix "The Grosvenor" bristle & badger
The Body Shop w/ sesame oil
Edwin Jagger DE89 Barley
Croma Diamant
Thayer's Witch Hazel Lemon
La Toja ASB

P1060840_zps56a3592c.jpg

Where do you get your Thayers from? And is it, in your experience, superior to the Care brand one available in Superdrug? Thanks..

I wasn't going to shave today, but the postie delivered my new Neep custom brush so I just had to...

Prep: Muji Glycerin Travel Soap
Pre: Proraso White
Brush: Neep Custom Dreadnought Tortoiseshell
Razor: Merkur 38 Barber Pole
Blade: Rapira
Soap: Dr Dittmar Spezial
Result: Superb brush, very pleased and I know it will get better and better. Mr Neep is a talented craftsman, indeed, and all the praise he receives within this forum is richly deserved in my opinion. Shave was good, still not quite there with the hard soaps, but definitely improving and I could certainly tell that this is a nice soap indeed. I only did a 2 pass shave and not BBS, but face feels lovely and soft. All in all a nice experience. Next shave now will be Christmas Eve using my new Feather All Stainless with a feather blade. Better get that lather thick and creamy!

SATURDAY MORNING

Feather AS-D1
Astra Platinum (1)
Neep Kenya Soapstone brush
De Vergulde Hand stick - face lathered
Witch hazel
Wilkinson Sword balm

As I'm off work I'm determined to try and figure out the Feather. It's too nice a razor to just give up on.

So, this morning I tried it with one shim and the radio off so I could hear it cutting and try and get the angle right.

This is what I did:

Pass 1 - WTG
Pass 2 - Decided 'sod it' and went ATG
Pass 3 - Another ATG and at this point my neck, moustache and chin were acceptable but my cheeks weren't so:
Pass 4 - Another ATG

The end result was the right side of a DFS. Not as good as I've been achieving with my normal routine and the Aristo #58 but definitely acceptable.

I think the razor is so mild I could probably do three ATG passes straight away and skip the WTG pass.

I'll probably try that tomorrow. One thing I can say is (unbelievably) I had zero irritation after the above.

Saturday 12-22-12. MUSIC: Lou Reed_LP Sally Can't Dance (1974).

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xa2uWG0zCs[/video]

Afeitado_2012-12-222-1.jpg

Soap from Aleppo - Rodney Neep Soapstone extra silvertip - Feather all stainless - Astra green #3 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving soap Col. Conk Almond - Alum block - Thayers Original - ASB Institut de Karité - ASL Myrsol Antesol.

Back
Top Bottom