Roo strop gauging interest

OSP

Hi gents.

I want a roo strop.

I want to make one. This will involve importing some roo leather.

Needless to say, it will be expensive, and I will need to recover some of my costs.

So question is: if i get a few roo skins, and make some strops, would anyone be up for chipping in?

Not sure how many strops i can get out of them or what price they'd be, but i'm gauging interest.

Any takers?

I was watching some roo tails recently, there were 6 for around £56 + about £26 P+P, so around £80 for half a dozen. Apparently the tails are best for strops as theres no epidermis(or something) in that part of the hide, pelt or whatever you call a roos 3 piece. They were arond 600mm long, and it looked as tho you could get a decent length 3" strop out of each, maybe more if you varied the width of strop. wasn't sure if it would need a backing of some sort as its not particularly thick, around 1.5 - 2.0mm if memory serves. I've had to put all my razor refurbs and related things on hold due to work and family commitments, but hope to get back to it in the not too distant future. Hope this info is of some use to you!

Thanks. 2 whole skins, a+ grade, delivered will come to £180. never heard about tails being best, just as long as you don't use scarred or stretchy bits. funnily enough the skin is 0.8mm thick, but very strong!

Do you fancy getting involved? take a look at my other strop thread to see what my home made strops look like

I bought a roo strop a few years ago from an Australian fella making them over SRP (Username: Legion)
Roo makes for a seriously good strop and there's nothing better for a travel strop.
Mines at work, but I will post a picture tomorrow and show you how compact and versatile it is.
As has been said, it is extremely strong leather and starts of with quite a slow 'suedie' draw. After a couple of months of regular use it slickens to a medium 'buttery' draw.

I use this strop more than any other strop including my Neil Miller strops.

Although I have no need for another, I urge anyone that is serious about straight shaving to consider getting in on this.
James, good luck and consider offering travel strops similar to mine (you will see it when I post the pictures)

Great stuff!

I bought a roo strop a few years ago from an Australian fella making them over SRP (Username: Legion)
Roo makes for a seriously good strop and there's nothing better for a travel strop.
Mines at work, but I will post a picture tomorrow and show you how compact and versatile it is.
As has been said, it is extremely strong leather and starts of with quite a slow 'suedie' draw. After a couple of months of regular use it slickens to a medium 'buttery' draw.

I use this strop more than any other strop including my Neil Miller strops.

Although I have no need for another, I urge anyone that is serious about straight shaving to consider getting in on this.
James, good luck and consider offering travel strops similar to mine (you will see it when I post the pictures)

Great stuff!
I have seen legion's strops. they look great.

It is possible that i can do some custom options - colour, different leather for the ends, turned wooden handle, different widths, etc. i even have some denim in blue and black, as well as some light flax linen. ooooh the possibilities!

will attach a pic of the strop i made myself recently to give you an idea so you you know i'm proficient. handle is bocote and leather is some kind of horse. works great, although I've covered it in crox

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 48
  • image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    967.7 KB · Views: 47
Thanks. 2 whole skins, a+ grade, delivered will come to £180. never heard about tails being best, just as long as you don't use scarred or stretchy bits. funnily enough the skin is 0.8mm thick, but very strong!

Do you fancy getting involved? take a look at my other strop thread to see what my home made strops look like

Thanks for the offer, but part of my enjoyment of this experience is doing as much as I can myself. My homemade strop was shown on your previous thread about preferred leather. So when my other commitments calm down a bit, I'll have a go myself. I put the post up with the stainless rod and shackles, but good luck, and I'll watch your progress with interest:cool:

Thanks for the offer, but part of my enjoyment of this experience is doing as much as I can myself. My homemade strop was shown on your previous thread about preferred leather. So when my other commitments calm down a bit, I'll have a go myself. I put the post up with the stainless rod and shackles, but good luck, and I'll watch your progress with interest:cool:
I get that pal. Have fun!

Well I'm hoping around the £40 mark. But if someone wants a wooden handle for example, or a 3 inch one, it may have to be a little more. I'll have to come
Up with something a little more solid.

It will also depend on how many scars the hide has. It may turn out I can only get a couple of strips out of each skin.

We will see I guess

My personal preference is for a 3 inch strop (saves fannying around with x-strokes) with a (technical phrase here) metal swiveling-hook thing at one end that I can put into the hook I've attached to the doorframe.

To pull it taut at the other end I'm perfectly happy to hold onto the leather tab rather than a handle of some description.

Hopes that makes sense!

My personal preference is for a 3 inch strop (saves fannying around with x-strokes) with a (technical phrase here) metal swiveling-hook thing at one end that I can put into the hook I've attached to the doorframe.

To pull it taut at the other end I'm perfectly happy to hold onto the leather tab rather than a handle of some description.

Hopes that makes sense!
I'm the same. Hate fancying around with x strokes.

I can do that no problem.

Back
Top Bottom