Recommendations for a soap

Gents, if I could have the benefit of your collective experiences...

So far, I've been using either Palmolive or RSC creams. I fancy trying something more upmarket, a hard soap for a change, but have no idea what to start with. I'd welcome your suggestions.

TIA.

Cue 9 different choices at least. :lol:

I love Truefitt and Hill's hard soap, been using it for just over a month now... there's a review (done only last weekend) on the soaps review section. I also use L'Occitane Cade, lovely lather, very good for the skin, but for me it's maybe not so interesting scent wise. They're both about £8 if you buy the soap only.

The aluminium bowl for the cade is a frighteningly expensive optional extra by the way. The hand turned wooden bowl for the T+H is more affordable.

Why a hard soap? three of the best are Nannys,henks and mama bears..tried loads and there my only 3 i would recommend highly but thats just my opinion ;)

I've not got a vast amount of experience with hard soaps but this is what I've found so far.

I didn't think much of TOBS sandalwood, loved the scent but couldn't get a decent lather which may have been down to my lack of experience at the time.

Tabac and Cade soaps produce great lather. MWF the same, although it's a bit trickier to lather in my opinion.

Also you can't really go wrong with shaving sticks, La Toja, Arko and Palmolive are all very good.

How do Steve,

When you say more up market, are you meaning soaps priced above their performance relative to mid priced soaps. Or are you getting the itch to start spending and accumulating. :)

slash said:
Why a hard soap? three of the best are Nannys,henks and mama bears..tried loads and there my only 3 i would recommend highly but thats just my opinion ;)

Why a hard soap? Purely for the experience, really. I think I might give both the T&H and MWF a try for now.

- D.R. Harris, you can't go wrong here, excellent soap.
- The Art of Shaving, especially the Sandalwood version. Lovely lather.
- Czech & Speake, made by the same people in Italy who make the AoS soaps (that is Valobra). That is, of course, if you like the two C&S scents.
- Santa Maria Novella, a kind of pretty hard shave cream similar to Proraso, very good stuff albeit expensive.
- Martin de Candre, reportedly a terrific soap but pretty expensive as well.
- Pre de Provence, very very nice but can probably get it only in the U.S. despite the fact it is a French soap.
- Shave sticks, as James well said: La Toja and Irisch Moos / Tabac are my recommendations here.

RB73 said:
How do Steve,

When you say more up market, are you meaning soaps priced above their performance relative to mid priced soaps. Or are you getting the itch to start spending and accumulating. :)

:D

I do indeed have the itch, but I want to feel that I'm getting some value for money. I don't want to go mad, but there's no harm in pushing the boat out a bit is there?

If you haven't yet tried a glycerine soap why not push the boat out & give one of the Mama Bear soaps from Traditional Shaving Co a go. They start from under £10 and you owe it to yourself to indulge.
Otherwise I'm another who likes the MWF and hasn't has any probs with it, although it is liable to dry up if not used for a couple of days.

JohnnyO. :geek:

I think someone should invent a 9 cube sampler soap box..should look like this but with cubes of small soaps for sample.... :cool:

Attachments

• cube3.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom