Reccomend a moisturiser/aftershave balm???

Hey guys.

Interested in what you guys use as your aftershave balm of choice.

I want a really good product to calm and moisturise the skin....

Before I started traditional shaving this week, I basically used to slap on any old crap. Now that I'm going to be sticking with this, Id like something proper to calm my boat after de-bearding it.

Stu.

Nivea Rehydration balm is a good start, around a fiver a bottle. Readily available at Supermarkets, easily absorbs with good moisturising properties.

My posh stuff is Truefitt & Hill 1805 just for the weekend:)

I used to use a lot of moisturiser when I used cartridges but I use very little now, for some reason my skin stopped needing it. Maybe real shaving soap and creams dry the skin less, I dunno. I use an aftershave splash now which I never used to, maybe that helps, seems to tone the skin. (Most mornings it's Ogalalla bay rum by the way).

Anyway after all that guff, on the odd occasion that I feel a bit of a dry forehead coming on I just keep it simple, a quick rub of Vaseline dry skin lotion.

noobstu said:
Hey guys.

Interested in what you guys use as your aftershave balm of choice.

I want a really good product to calm and moisturise the skin....

Before I started traditional shaving this week, I basically used to slap on any old crap. Now that I'm going to be sticking with this, Id like something proper to calm my boat after de-bearding it.

Stu.

Pop back into Boots and buy some http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-aftershave-balm-freshwood_985664/ basic and very good for the price, doesn't smell too bad.

When you get in to this big time you find a whole new world of balms.

My current favourites are, Myrsol emulsion from Juan at http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/catalog/the-pleasure-of-shaving/myrsol/515-myrsol-emulsion-preafter-180ml.html not uk based but Juan is the man. Think he also has a TSR discount still.

And Lucky Tiger Skin Tonic http://www.vitacost.com/Lucky-Tiger-After-Shave-and-Face-Tonic again not uk based but I have used them before, (just make sure your order is under £15 or you'll pay, vat, duty and post office charges.

sjedwardz said:
Thanks for the heads up on lucky tiger, keep meaning to try it.

As to the myrsol, which would you recommend?

I like the one in the link, but it is the only one I have tried in the range. It has a menthol hit to it, and has a nice consistency and pleasant scent. Juan offers both glass and plastic bottles. The glass has less in and weighs more for postage, but looks great.

As always, a lot of really helpful responses.

I'll give them all a look over and make a decision. I guess I'm gonna need a good moisturiser, as Im gonna be test driving a whole selection of blades that Northam Saint is very kindly PIF'ing to me.

Ima be shaving thrice a day just for the lols.

XD

It's not very masculine but get a witch hazel based cleanser aand some cotton wool wipes, if you need another product after that fine.

I tend to get good results by keeping ingredients as simple as possible - a baby-friendly moisturiser used sparingly, then a light coat of purified olive oil from the chemist. The bonus is that olive oil is pure, and also really cheap compare to some other brands.

I haven't tried it but Professor Blighty on here does a universal shaving balsam (ebay or pm him) and yellow unction (not on ebay?) Heard nothing but good about these

Ed6 said:
then a light coat of purified olive oil from the chemist. The bonus is that olive oil is pure, and also really cheap compare to some other brands.

I used to use olive oil on my baby girl's cradle cap, it worked wonders. And she smelled delicious!

I think the Romans and the ancient Greeks used to "bathe" in olive oil, they rubbed it on and then scraped off the oil and dead skin with a sharp edged stone. I bet they never had any skin problems.

(Wish I had written this...)
“Oil dissolves oil. One of the most basic principals of chemistry is that “like dissolves like.” The best way to desolve a non-polar solvent like sebum/oil, is by using another non-polar solvent similar in composition: other oils. By using the right oils, you can cleanse your pores of dirt and bacteria naturally, gently and effectively, while replacing the dirty oil with beneficial ones extracted from natural botanicals, vegetables and fruit that heal, protect and nourish your skin. When done properly and consistently, the oil can clear the skin from issues like oily skin, dry skin, sensitive skin, blackheads, whiteheads and other problems caused by mild to moderate acne–while leaving your skin healthy, balanced and properly moisturized.”

Alway... Wash, Tone, Moisturize!

No hesitation in recommending Professor Blighty's products. I use a touch of Blueberry balsaam after a shave & then a couple of minutes later a well shaken witch hazel based Blueberry aftershave. Skin has never been better. (That's coming from someone who's visited skin clinics & dermatologists for over 40 years).

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

GFT Skin Food... Limes or coral, both do the trick for me. Use one or the other every day of the week. Limes is a great scent. Coral, well you'll either love or hate it. Very strong, but the scent does fade to nothing very quickly.

i use a few things all of which ive found to work quite well:

TOBS Jermyn Street Moisturiser (100ml pot) is a lovely soft, pleasant smelling moisturiser, that contains aloe vera, and as a result I find it quite cooling, calming and its a good moisturiser to boot!!

Bluebeards Revenge Aftershave Balm : superb stuff, very cooling, very calming, but not great for moisturisation. It tends to dry out pretty quickly. So you'll want to back it up with a moisturiser of some kind.

Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood AS balm : ALso very good, i was concerned that its strength of smell and slight alcohol content would be a bad thing, but its incredibly calming, and leaves my skin feeling refreshed, smooth and pain free after a shave. Its on the expensive side, but worth looking into (along with any other T&H balms)

Clinique Post shave soother : also pricey for its side (very small bottle for about £15) but its very soothing, goes on much like bluebeards revenge, in that its quite a thin liquid, and doesnt moisturise well. But its very calming.

Back
Top Bottom