Re-launched cologne by Penhaligons

Emily,

Thank you for joining us, and you for your comments. I think it's very healthy to have manufacturers of products on board to make contributions.

I am quite a fan of Penhaligon's products, but I have only ever bought 3 items directly from you, simply because of the expenses involved. I have bought most Penhaligon's products from individuals via forums and via ebay.

Having said that, I have absolutely no issues with the quality and presentation of your products. They're simply first class, but I'm not going to pay the full RRP for any of it if I can get it cheaper. I'm sure you understand.

Regarding the whole tallow/non-tallow thing, did it not occur to anybody at Penhaligons's to give customers the choice of both? I'm pretty sure that this would be a unique offering; tallow and non-tallow product lines both available.

Personally, I prefer my soaps to be made with tallow, which is a by product of the meat industry, whereas Palm based products are usually from plantations that have be planted where rainforests used to be.

Ian

IanM said:
Regarding the whole tallow/non-tallow thing, did it not occur to anybody at Penhaligons's to give customers the choice of both? I'm pretty sure that this would be a unique offering; tallow and non-tallow product lines both available

I will certainly pass this onto the product development team as it is obviously an area of great contention! I wish we could keep everyone happy, alas it seems not. :cry:

RB73 said:
Glad you could drop in, could I ask how you came by us and do you or any of your colleges keep an eye on ours and other related forums with regards to your employer’s products and their reviews and observations

I have google 'alerts' set up so that I can see whenever Penhaligon's is mentioned online...so I come across all kinds of passionate people and their opinions. Where I can I like to respond and get involved in the conversations...I think it's important that you know we are listening (not in a scary stalker way!) to your opinions!

RB73 said:
My eyebrows are raised at £95 when considering the rapidly growing revival of DE and Straight shaving amongst younger men and the ensuing fascination with fragrance houses and there offerings which mainly go hand in hand.
Surely more will be sold at the £70 price mark than at £95 even if smaller quantities are made with regards to their other fragrances, how much smaller can small be?

So much to reply to today!Sorry I can't respond to everyone, but am picking out the key points!

If you compare our Endymion Cologne which is £70 for 100ml, we make huge amounts more of that than we do any of our Anthology fragrances! I would encourage you to try our Eau de Cologne and other Anthology fragrances...you can get complimentary samples from any of our stores!

On another topic, I was in my home town in Somerset the other week and went to a lovely old tobacconist (I don't smoke but love the smell) and the owner was selling lots of lovely shaving goods...he said he had sold 13 cut throat razors in the last month! So that is something we are exploring at the moment. Yes, we are a fragrance house but we did start as a barber shop on Jermyn Street back in 1870, and so shaving is still close to our hearts!

RB73 said:
Hope this isn’t just a passing visit Emily, glad to see you taking an interest.

P.S don’t let them ditch the EF

English Fern will never be ditched, you have my personal promise on that one. And yes, I will be back I'm sure!

Penhaligon's Penhaligons Penhaligon's...just wandering if you would appear again Emily.

Just to finish on a note of interest my route to the Penhaligon's fragrances was actually via the shaving soap, get that right because the wet shaving community are a loyal breed.

I hate to be the Spectre at the Feast but the market will decide if it's good value or not - not the guys in the marketing department. Harrods or TKMaxx? Time will tell.

On a personal note it may indeed be a truly magnificent product (and all the other compliments being assigned to it by Penhaligons) but I cannot justify spending £95 per 100ml (or £950 per litre, retail) to frankly smell nice for an hour or two.

I genuinely hope that this doesn't appear rude Emily, that is not my intention and I do admire your participation in this discussion.

:)

Blyth Spirit said:
I hate to be the Spectre at the Feast but the market will decide if it's good value or not - not the guys in the marketing department. Harrods or TKMaxx? Time will tell.

On a personal note it may indeed be a truly magnificent product (and all the other compliments being assigned to it by Penhaligons) but I cannot justify spending £95 per 100ml (or £950 per litre, retail) to frankly smell nice for an hour or two.

I genuinely hope that this doesn't appear rude Emily, that is not my intention.

:)

No offence taken...and yes you are right that the market will decide! Since launch last week sales have far expected our expectations, we are getting a very positive reaction thus far.

I'd just like to point out that the compliments I have given about our fragrances today are based on my true feelings for the fragrances, I would never pretend to like a fragrance, even if I am loyal to the brand...I am too much of a fanatic. There are some Penhaligon's fragrances that I am not at all fond of, but then it is very rare to love all the fragrances from one house! However, when entering the forum I assumed that everyone would be a tad cynical!

hunnymonster said:
penhaligonsltd said:
I have google 'alerts' set up so that I can see whenever Penhaligon's is mentioned online...so I come across all kinds of passionate people and their opinions.

Having had a google alert set up for something equally innocuous, I hope you have the "SafeSearch" option ticked :shock:

Nothing dodgy so far! :lol:

It’s usually the core customers that take the biggest hits with regards to marketing department ideas and the sniff of liberal thinking sheep (no offence intended).

Interesting reminder to some of Penhaligons origins, and what happens to such products and services when people like you Emily, are not in said marketing departments. Maybe they should be reminded.

Enjoy the banter, good to have you aboard.

Thank you for taking the time to partake in and add to the forum Emily, I am sure a lot of people will appreciate the open dialogue.

Welcome Emily and thanks for joining,

I am new to Penhaligon's products, but I like the ones I have tired (scent wise) so far. I have been trying to get a hold of an old formula version English Fern soap for a few weeks via trading with guys in the US. One day I may buy the new version mainly for the scent but with a slight grudge. My personal preference from experience is that I enjoy using Tallow based soaps more then non tallow ones, don't get me wrong I can get a great shave with either and I know your labs have tired, tested and ensured that they are producing a product that works as well as the old ones under any measurement. The only one measurement that is elusive is how much someone enjoys using the product.

I own many soaps, some are of an almost identical list to the old formula tallow based soaps and also some new formulation soaps similar to the new version English Fern, I am not going to deny that the new products can provide a great shave I just enjoy using the Tallow ones more and the only tangible difference between Tallow and non Tallow I can actually pin down is that my skin feels better after rinsing, the rest is just preference, perhaps with some other reformulations the scent has changed slightly in line with modern tastes and this contributes to the conclusion. It could even be purely a placebo effect but in the end I just use what I enjoy most.

I got a sample of the new version from a friendly forum member and he did not tell me which it was. I enjoyed using it for a few days and only then he told me it was not the old formula, this left me thinking that I would indeed buy a new one but only if I can't get the old one, there is no doubt the new one is good, but is the old one better? I will tell you that when/if I track a bowl of it down.

I wish you and the company all the best and hope to see you around, it is nice to see the that you take an interest and it is more than just a job for you.

I have indeed been enjoying the banter! You may be pleased to know that after a meeting this morning, it looks like we will be bringing back some old Hammam products...can't give you time frame, but just thought I'd let you know!

Back
Top Bottom