Re-launched cologne by Penhaligons

As the title suggests, will have to try this and compare to other cologne offerings.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.penhaligons.co.uk/shop/fragrance/shop-by-fragrance/eau-de-cologne/eau-de-cologne-100ml-736843.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.penhaligons.co.uk/shop/fragr ... 36843.html</a><!-- m -->

Where do they get there pricing from... :x

RB73 said:
Where do they get there pricing from... :x

They're using the "if it's that expensive it must be good and not only that, I'll be admired by my friends and acquaintances for my impeccable taste" school of pricing. :roll:

Before I start I want to be totally honest and say I work for Penhaligon's. I wanted to respond to the comments about the prices of our Anthology Collection fragrances, which I have seen not only on this website, but also on others. I just wanted to give you some info as to why the fragrances are priced as they are. Hope you don't mind the intrusion!

We are a small, niche fragrance house, who manufactures in the UK. We are not one of the big brands who make tens of thousands of bottles of a new launch. We are producing very small numbers of these fragrances, and the smaller a quantity of something you produce, the higher the cost price! Our regular fragrances, which we make higher qtys of, are lower in price. That's the only difference!

We are reacting to customer demand and bringing back these 'lost' fragrances, many of which are just superb (in my opinion as a fragrance fanatic, not just an employee!) and I hope our customers can understand that sometimes we have to charge that bit extra to be able to do something well.

Thanks
Emily.

penhaligonsltd said:
We are reacting to customer demand and bringing back these 'lost' fragrances, many of which are just superb (in my opinion as a fragrance fanatic, not just an employee!) and I hope our customers can understand that sometimes we have to charge that bit extra to be able to do something well.
Thanks
Emily.

DR Harris - 100ml = shy of £20
ToOBS - 100ml = shy of £15!
These new Pen fragrances........£95!!

No offence Emily, but that isn't just charging "that bit extra", that is going the whole hog! For the record, both of the above alternatives are really nice too, so for that price, the Pens needs to almost literally apply itself to my face when i open the bottle, and also attract a stream of young ladies etc etc.

Not that i'm tight you understand.... :lol:

penhaligonsltd said:

Thanks
Emily.

Hi Emily, I think it's great that you react to customer demand and bring back the 'lost' things. How about some of the old formula shaving soap? :mrgreen:

Pete

I would like to see Penhaligon's bring back Hammam Bouquet shaving soap and the mysterious 'Black' shaving soap.

I knew I'd get loads of replies to that! I'm sorry you feel that way about the Anthology Collection prices. I maintain that they are damn good and worth the money - especially the Eau de Verveine (I would follow any man wearing that down the street - so elegant!) and Zizonia which comes out in August is genius. Even if I do say so myself.

The new shaving soaps have been reformulated in line with our policy to eliminate animal ingredients from all of our products. I know we've upset lots of our loyal customers, but we have to consider both sides of an argument and in this case decided to go tallow free. I know that our product development team worked long and hard to ensure that the new formulation lathers well and gives a good shave.

I am a HUGE fan of Hammam too (yes a girl who wears Hammam! The turkish rose really comes to the fore on my skin!) and we are getting more and more people asking for line extensions, so it is something we are considering! The 'black' shaving soap sounds very interesting...I will investigate!

Thanks to everyone for your feedback,

Emily.

How about a tallow line for the meat eating guys who are happy to continue, and a "vegetarian" line for those who would like to not use tallow. I would be seriously interested to see which line sells best, and it would put the decision squarely in the customers hands as to what product they use? To be honest, i would have thought this would be the clear winning option as you can then cater for all comers, whilst still maintaining some of the so-called moral high-ground. (Or is the Chief exec an ardent vegan/veggie? ;) )

Thank goodness my butcher still allows me to choose meat over tofu :lol:

penhaligonsltd said:
Before I start I want to be totally honest and say I work for Penhaligon's. I wanted to respond to the comments about the prices of our Anthology Collection fragrances, which I have seen not only on this website, but also on others. I just wanted to give you some info as to why the fragrances are priced as they are. Hope you don't mind the intrusion!

We are a small, niche fragrance house, who manufactures in the UK. We are not one of the big brands who make tens of thousands of bottles of a new launch. We are producing very small numbers of these fragrances, and the smaller a quantity of something you produce, the higher the cost price! Our regular fragrances, which we make higher qtys of, are lower in price. That's the only difference!

Thanks
Emily.

Hello Emily,

Glad you could drop in, could I ask how you came by us and do you or any of your colleges keep an eye on ours and other related forums with regards to your employer’s products and their reviews and observations.

As someone who has spent a fair few hundred quid and will continue too with said company’s products I think I’m only being fair in my pricing comments with regards to this one product.

Nearly every shave related company has their own cologne offering, that by and large smell not too different from each other and differ in price marginally. And most of them when priced at the 100ml size equate to roughly £70 give or take.

My eyebrows are raised at £95 when considering the rapidly growing revival of DE and Straight shaving amongst younger men and the ensuing fascination with fragrance houses and there offerings which mainly go hand in hand.
Surely more will be sold at the £70 price mark than at £95 even if smaller quantities are made with regards to their other fragrances, how much smaller can small be?

As such a small/niche fragrance house that also offers shave related products it surprises me and plenty of others that you would follow with the likes of Floris, Trumpers, Harris etc... In reformulating your shave soaps and miss the opportunity to reap there disgruntled customers and the opportunity to market as such.

Hope this isn’t just a passing visit Emily, glad to see you taking an interest. :)

P.S don’t let them ditch the EF :hungrig

Thanks for your contribution Emily, it's always good to have direct dialogue with producer's.

However consumer demand is fickle and I'd be surprised if the reformulation of your once revered shaving soap's and cream's was actually driven by that or at least not by the people who actually use them. I hope Penhaligon's take some note, the new formulation of English Fern and Blenheim shaving soap has not been well received, especially in the U.S where I expect your largest customer base exists. Please also note that Art of Shaving, another high end producer still seems happy to produce a tallow based soap although they down play it's actual use.

It is possible to make good tallow free soap but sadly I will not be renewing any of the shaving soap and creams. I was happy to pay for them but the current formulation's are just not good enough. I suspect you may attract a certain customer who insist's on their shaving soap being tallow free however I doubt that will supersede the amount of loyal customers you will lose.

Isn't tallow a bi-product anyway? I know there's a principal behind the non-use of tallow, but I'd expect that a little tallow goes a long way in a soap. I wonder how many soaps you could produce from just one cow. Anyway, this is becoming a Tallow Thread, so perhaps we'd better get back on topic. :eek: Did I actually say that? :lol:

Dear Emily,
Welcome aboard - ladies are always welcome here - it stops the place becoming too "blokey".
One thing my esteemed colleagues seem to forget it that the world does not actually revolve around wet shaving, i.e. Penhaligons is essentially a fragrance house - this is your core business and shaving products are merely a part of that business.
Kudos on coming on here and exposing yourself (as it were) to the membership - you have of course been treated with the courtesy one would expect but you had no way of knowing this would happen!
I have nothing to add concerning the products - this has already been expressed by those far more articulate than I - just to say to you excellent choice and do call again!

Back
Top Bottom