Razor suggestion

I had not DE shaved for the last 4 months and have been happily using single blade disposables. Up until a week or so ago when I ran out of disposable razors and went back to DE. My old Merkur Futur now seems a bit heavy and aggressive. So i have been using a WS Classic, which is as about as close to a single blade disposable as you can get IMO. I also own a Gillette tech which ticks the mild box, but is a bit titchy for me.

Are there any metal (last a lifetime) razors out there which are mild shavers like the Tech or WS Classic, but have the long handle and heft of a Futur? Maybe not as heavy as the Futur, but in that ballpark. Or should I just get over my Catholic guilt about being disloyal to DE and buy a maxi pack of Bics?

I have in the past owned a Merkur 34C HD, but did not like the short handle and wasn't particularly fond of the shaves.

Thanks.

Nowt wrong with Bics, my oad.

£1.99 for 24 in B&M bargains makes them cheaper than many DE blades and just as useable.

joe mcclaine said:
Nowt wrong with Bics, my oad.

Yep, nowt wrong with the Bics, and I'll continue to use them or equivalent while away at work, which is >50% of the time. I just shaved my way through a 5 pack of Gillette Blue 2s, but the familiar plook like spots returned to my neck after a while. More than one blade is a waste on my face.

That's why I like the WS Classic, as it's light and as safe as a cart. but it's not a razor that I will pass on to my children when I'm gone!

The Feather AS is a little too rich for me I'm afraid, and the frequency that they appear on the BST forum raises a question mark over this razor in my mind.

It's metal, it's mild, it's fairly heavy and has a long handle and I use mine practically every day:

http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/CSR||@cTraditional%20safety%20&%20double%20edge%20razors@bEdwin%20Jagger|15|user||22|

The basic Edwin jagger one for about £16 on amazon. EJ89 I think it is, is what I've used since beginning with de shaving. Great shaves and no nick unless I left the blade in too long. Not sure it'll last a lifetime, but for the price its a bargain.

Managed to bag a feather as-d1 and this is definitely a razor that will last a lifetime. The shave is better than the EJ, but not 10 times better. I'll be holding onto mine though.

As already mentioned, the Gillette "Blue Star" TTO razors, although originally marketed as for ladies are unisex & do crop up for sale on occasion. They're light and reasonably long handled. The E.J. & Muhle 89 heads are about as long a handle as I believe you're likely to get easily. It's also a very nice head for shaving, leaning towards the mild end of the spectrum.

'Failing that, as Vinny (not Joe) says, nowt wrong with the good old BICs.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Was gonna suggest the EJ89, long handle and heft and not too pricey.

Merkur 33C has the handle but maybe not the heft and the 39C has the handle and the heft but from what I've heard is more aggressive than the EJ and it is more expensive too.

IMO if you have grown used to bics then stick with them or stick with the Wilky classic if you wanna stay DE

If not the Feather AS-D1 (which is really lovely), how about the Merkur 38C barber pole?
Merkur 38C

The same handle and heft as the 39C slant, but with the "normal" HD head on it. Looks mighty fine, and should give a nice, predictable shave.

Back
Top Bottom