Razor Progression

Sensor Excel > Gillette Adjustable > Gillette Superspeed > Merkur 34c > 38c > EJ DE 86/87 > Merkur Progress > Gillette Tech > Slant (Present choice) > In the future: A Straight (worth a try)

By the way, I still have the original Sensor Excel. A really good cartridge razor.

As with many of you, I came here via cartridge shaving with gloop. My first DE was a Futur, which is one of my "collection" of two razors. I had an Edwin Jagger DE87, which I have now sold.

I was completely bowled over with the looks and engineering of the All-stainless Feather, and was fortunate to pick one up from BST. For me, it lives up to the hype, and I'm very happy to keep it. So that's it. I'm not interested in Vintage. Whether this will change in time, I don't know, but I've decided that I really can't be bothered with it.

The great thing about this hobby/obsession is that you can plough your own furrow, whether this be straights, vintage or whatever. Shave with a piece of flint, if that's your thing. Experiment with a few blades - for me it's Feathers with the Feather razor, or Iridiums with the Futur (although when I've used up my stash I may need to look for something else).

Use whatever works for you. And enjoy it.

Regards

Ian

moodymick said:
Just to be contradictory - don't always believe the hype.

It's very easy to find yourself jumping on bandwagons, so keep a level head, if everyone seems to be waxing lyrical about something that you then try and find it crap. Then it was crap - for you at least. :|

Apart from Tabac, that really is the stuff. ;)

Well, I have yet to succumb to Tabac (not sure what SWMBIgnored would say about it if I started ordering Tabac/Brut/Old Spice, mind). However, I am diving into all of this – this week should find me playing with a another 'new' toy this week, and I have a few other things that I would like to 'play' with later (subject to a few horrors of a work-related nature that I face this week). :hungrig

I guess there are much worse things to get into. :D

Lipsy

Take your time, there is no rush. remember an SOS on BST to try something may be a way to ensure you only buy something you will use, rather than buying just because........

I am not being holier than thou on this matter, I've sold 3 razors over the last week, 2 of which i never even shaved with - so why did i buy in the first place???? I also bought an Aristocrat last weekend and a 37C Slant this weekend off BST, I truly cannot justify either purchase if i was being honest.

I sleep at night by telling myself 3 out - 2 in. But frankly, that's nothing short of bollocks. :|

Dermot O'Logical said:
I'm not interested in Vintage. Whether this will change in time, I don't know, but I've decided that I really can't be bothered with it.

Conversely, I'm not interested in modern :D I'm looking back further now than when I started - but so far the 1921 New is my prize piece, it looks great, shaves well - I really need to find another New that's more of a user grade, because I don't use this one nearly as much as I should.

hunnymonster said:
Dermot O'Logical said:
I'm not interested in Vintage. Whether this will change in time, I don't know, but I've decided that I really can't be bothered with it.

Conversely, I'm not interested in modern :D I'm looking back further now than when I started - but so far the 1921 New is my prize piece, it looks great, shaves well - I really need to find another New that's more of a user grade, because I don't use this one nearly as much as I should.

Fair enough, I can understand the attraction of a "Birth year" razor........... :lol:

Dermot O'Logical said:
hunnymonster said:
Dermot O'Logical said:

Fair enough, I can understand the attraction of a "Birth year" razor........... :lol:

That was a low blow, but it made me smile. :D

Lipsy

Lots of good comments here as per.

I have a mixture of new and old. Started with a Merkur HD, then a slim adjustable, followed by an EJ (the one with the black handle). Rotated with those for a while, with the EJ being my favourite.

Recently, I got a vintage OC razor, and it seems these are for me.. got another on the way. I don't need it, but just to try out another OC really!! I have my eye on another one as well, but the fund is low for this month.

Currently, I am back with the HD - its a great shaver, and my original one I started with.

I think you need to try a variey and see what works best for you. I thought OC would be too aggressive for me, and I was shocked when I got a fantastic shave from it.

PLUS, if you decide to get rid of some of your stock, then you will have folks on here which will no doubt buy them. :D

hunnymonster said:
I'm sure your SWMBO will be receptive to the idea of you buying soap & AS - it's not like you're telling her you're off to snort cocaine off hookers :roll:

That's kind of my view – she is loving the clean-shaven version of me. And besides, parenthood forced me off hookers and coke… :D

Lipsy

Well, I know have three razors:

The EJ 89L
Feather Portable
Fat Boy

I have just realised that I have only been at this a little over a month, and looking at my shave den has just made me realise just how far – and quickly – I have come. :eek:

Currently enjoying the Fat Boy very much, but I still have some ways to go. Need to up the blades a little, but that's even more of a minefield. Ordered some Astra SPs (200) and a ton of those Blue Gillette blades that have been mentioned on this 'ere forum. Might have to get some different blades, mind.

Just gotta sort out the brush situation now. Just having the one isn't looking good (I'm not counting the Erasmic)… Fido's getting some wooden handled ones, isn't he? Reckon they'd look proper-smart. :lol:

Lipsy

Just developing the "where's this going to end?" issue.

For most of my life I was content to use just one razor, standard goo and one aftershave. Until each was used up or worn out. Since I have discovered our shared delights and improved my technique, my "journey" has bought me to the point where I enjoy having several of each of the things we need for a shave. So I now have several of everything and enjoy varying the combinations and how I use them. My acquisitions have now slowed down. I'm now really enjoying using what I have more than I ever thought possible.

The journey has been enlightening and great fun and I've ended up with what I'm sure will be an enduring harmless obsession. But I have many other obsessions too! So shaving isn't a top priority - except every morning. Other things take over as each day unfolds.

Back
Top Bottom