Razor Progression

Chaps,

I was wondering what you guys thought about razor progression. Having started with pretty standard kit (EJ 89L) and bought a Feather Portable, where next?

I appreciate that it's all subjective, but I am sure that – as a newbie myself – other chaps new to all of this would appreciate your thoughts on other 'must-have' razors. I know that, after a couple of months, I'm keen to bulk up in the brush and razor department, but the myriad options are beguiling and the more I read, the more confused I get… Vintage, new, fat, slim, adjustable. The last thing that I want to do is "just" buy something, only to find out that it is no better (heaven forbid, WORSE) than what I have. Arguably, it's all part of the journey, so perhaps it's a tad cheeky to ask for thoughts. I just think that it would be useful, is all.

Thanks in advance for your time/thoughts.

Lipsy

It is quite possible that curiosity will lead you to try few more razors. This is how I started and progressed, anyway.

Point is though, that the critical difference can only be made once you get into (or at least try) vintage razors.

From what is available out there now (meaning about contemporary models), you can more or less get what you want.
You want a Merkur HD, for example? A slant, perhaps? A Feather Stainless? Sure, just visit a vendor's website and with one click you've got them in your door in 1-2 days.

With vintage razors it's a bit different. There's this degree of craftsmanship, the slightly different way they shave, the shaver / excellent / mint condition in which you may be able to find them, boxed or unboxed, and so forth. You can therefore have an opinion on all these variables only if you try one such razor - and you actually should, if of course you are really passionate about this hobby. You should, because it will be part of your 'education' on this and because it will give you a real sense of how these 'old' tools actually shave.

Some others prefer to shave with SE razors, for example, and the feedback they give back to the forum is very positive. You may then also like to try an SE as well. And so forth.

After all that, and few months (or more) gone by, you'll see that your ability in knowing much better what you really like and need will have improved considerably. If, parallel to that, you will have developed your technique further as well, that's even better.

So 'where next' is totally subjective. The journey can be pretty long, but equally easy going and thrilling at times. :)

Because individual items are sometimes not too expensive, we all get tempted to try lots of things in our search for the holy grail. I tried over a dozen razors before settling on a rotation of three. I suspect if I had stuck to my first Merkur 38C I would be quite happy. But some things are irresistible. I could never have ignored at least trying a couple of vintage razors since the whole point of this is to enjoy "traditional" shaving rather than sticking to the tools of the masses. At least that's the way I see it.

I'm guessing that you'll probably find that you build up a "core" group of faves, then will just pick up others as the opportunity arises. Probably as good a way as any is to just keep an eye open for a type or design which you haven't tried before. So, if you've never given a single edge or an injector a try just wait until you see a likely candidate on the forum & give it a go. Pass on the ones you don't get on with & you'll very soon have your stable assembled, even though there may always be something else on the horizon.

JohnnyO. ;)

Yeah, I'd go the vintage road if I were you.. (I did) You can get some good ones on BST/eBay.
You don't immediately go for boxed mint ones, buy something cheap, give a try, if you like it, you can get a "cleaner" example.

I've got a few "shaver grade" models I don't get along with, so no point in looking for a mint one.
I got a HD500 "shaver grade" that I love, so I'm keeping an eye out for a mint one, or getting mine replated.

I agree with Fido on the "traditional shaving" = Vintage razors, I do own 2 recent ones (Futur & 34C), but I don't get the same joy out of using them.
(and will probably flog them)

Cheers,

Max

Some interesting points raised, which I thank you all for.

The thing is, I must admit that I am struggling with the concept of this being a “hobby”, but – in actual fact – it covers all the bases.

I started on this whole thing partly out of boredom with shaving (I hated cartridge shaving to the point where I would happily walk around unshaven for days and days, to the point where I would have to trim the growth before a Fusion could even deal with the growth. Moreover, and in a weird kind of way, the birth of my second son in mid-August made me start thinking about how I wanted to conduct myself and what I wanted my boys to see when they looked at their old man. I guess that I wanted to start doing a few things “properly” in the hope that they might learn something from me (that probably sounds a bit odd, but there you go).

However, what I have found is that the “me-time”, combined with the whole AD thing has been one of the best things that I've got myself involved in. Really enjoyed it thus far, which is complimented to a degree by this forum.

What worries me, however, is where and if this is going to end. I already have a pretty good idea of my wants (Fido's good work, some sort of proper lathering “thing”, a stash of blades, and a few more razors…). Worrying, really. :lol:

From what people are saying thus far, I am getting the strong sense that it's all about the journey. Far be it from me to argue. :D

Lipsy

Yes it's a journey, but if you're smart, it won't cost you a lot if you don't want it too.
You can get something today of eBay or BST, if you decide that you don't like it, flog it on.
Not everyone likes the same ones, so unless you pay way over the odds, you can probably sell them on for the price you paid (exl.postage)

Max

Lipsy said:
However, what I have found is that the “me-time”, combined with the whole AD thing has been one of the best things that I've got myself involved in. Really enjoyed it thus far, which is complimented to a degree by this forum.

100% agree! Where shaving used to be a right pita - it's now 20 mins I get to myself to relax enjoy my hobby.

Lipsy said:
What worries me, however, is where and if this is going to end. I already have a pretty good idea of my wants (Fido's good work, some sort of proper lathering “thing”, a stash of blades, and a few more razors…). Worrying, really. :lol:

For me at least, razor acquisition ended fairly quickly. A Superspeed and a Fatboy see me day to day, with a 39C when I fancy it. In time I'd like a 34C (as this was what I 'intended' my first razor to be!) - other than that I watch some nice vintage razors come and go, but am quite settled with mine for now. Max is correct in what he says about buying a shaver grade fairly cheaply to see how it works for you. I look at Aristocrats, and also Slim Adjustables fondly, but I'm not sure they offer any more than my current selection.

I'm currently enjoying the software; soaps and after shaves, as I feel there's more variety here than in razors (for me, right here and now), but since Fido's contribution I've also gained an interest in brushes (which I NEVER predicted!) - and am starting to think about acquiring some blades as my technique continues to improve.

I'd suggest a Fatboy - sooner or later you'll want one to see what all the fuss is about! And I love mine - it was cheap enough (£14 I think) plus another £15 to replate it, although I used it for three or more months before getting this done, once I'd decided it was a keeper. It's maybe not the best FB - it's got no box or anything, but that doesn't interest me 'cos it's MINE! :D

So yeh, it's taken me a long time to say it, but a FB is very much recommended for me!

Lipsy said:
Moreover, and in a weird kind of way, the birth of my second son in mid-August made me start thinking about how I wanted to conduct myself and what I wanted my boys to see when they looked at their old man. I guess that I wanted to start doing a few things “properly” in the hope that they might learn something from me (that probably sounds a bit odd, but there you go).

I don't think think there is anything odd about what you said there at all and ties in a bit with the thread I posted on Friday about who taught you how to shave.

You may well end up teaching them how to shave, but I am quite sure you are also teaching them an awful lot of other things as well!

I've tended to base my razor acquisitions on what other members rate highly and what appears in the SOTD.
for example ,Superspeeds are regarded as good but Rockets seem to get the 'nod' on here and elsewhere over them so I got a Rocket.Not bothered with a superspeed yet.

Fido said:
...I could never have ignored at least trying a couple of vintage razors since the whole point of this is to enjoy "traditional" shaving rather than sticking to the tools of the masses.

Hah, but do remember that back when these razors weren't vintage razors, they were the 'tools of the masses' ;-)

Back
Top Bottom