Razor Progression

Interesting thread. How do you find the Fatboy compares to the Feather Lipsy?

I think my alu tech does such a good all round job for me that I've just bought another - this time an older, unused fat handle which I think I'll prefer.

I was considering going for something different like a One piece TTO but thought I'd stick to what suits me for the time being. Re the Fatboy, is there any point in it (apart from looks) unless you have heavy growth that requires the adjustability?

A little over month in to all of this and I am barely qualified to comment on the relative merits of an adjustable over non-adjustable. All I can say is this:

I love the Feather Portable – it's light (though not 'light' – it's just lighter than to what I have been "used to"), and it kind of makes you focus on letting the blade do all of the work. This is a good thing, I reckon – especially as I'm a noob.

The Fat Boy is heavier (obv), but it's also super-smooth. I love it from a historic, design and shaving perspective – it just works for me, tbh. I have a real "problem" with the hair on my neck, so being able to adjust the blade does seem to help a great deal.

Similarly, I also love the EJ DE89L – it was where I started.

I can get great shaves from all three, but that's a combination of improving technique as much as it is the relative merits of the razors and blades. I'm also finding that lathering is now much easier (I had problems with hard soaps, but I had a "eureka" moment). I guess that I love the fact that each razor feels and delivers something slightly different. I enjoy mixing up the variables so that it never feels the same, something that I think is important.

I am now at the stage where I am beginning to bed down my shave den – I have got a good stash of blades, three razors and a good selection of smellies… As I have said, the weak link at the moment is my brush, so that's the next thing.

Once that's sorted, I might just treat myself to another razor (or two) *Tries not to think about open comb razors* :D

Lipsy

"I have a real "problem" with the hair on my neck, so being able to adjust the blade does seem to help a great deal."

Interesting. I have a similar 'problem' patch of growth that is aggravated all too easily. Thanks for the reply.

my razor progression has gone like this

Merkur 23c
Merkur 11c
Gillette flare tip rocket
Focus shavette
Merkur futur
Joseph Rodgers & Sons straight razor
R H & Sons straight razor
Fritz Bratch Dovo straight razor

creams I've tried Trumpers limes, palmolive and Proraso.
Soaps I've tried are plamolive, Arko and wilkinson sword
pre shave products proraso anti irritation cream, trumpers skin food and truefitt & hill pre shave oil
After shave and cologne osma alum block, proraso a/s, trufitt & hill trafalgar a/s, trufitt & hill west indian limes cologne and boots bay rum

Thats about it. the 23c was the first DE I'd ever used and I cut my face up and had lots of irritation my be due to lack of experance I bet I could use it now with out cutting my self. The 11c was instantly kinder to my face with no irritation and only a few nicks, The Gillette flare tip rocket opened my eyes to how good DE razors can be effortless to use and very comfortable. The Focus shavette was taken up to learn how to use straights and it showed me how close I can shave without irritation which is very close indeed. Also the shavette gave me a better feel for shaving and devlope a lighter touch to the point that if I'm holding an open blade to my face with no real problem then a futur will be a walk in the park after reading all the storys of a futur on 6 cutting peoples faces off I decided to give it a go and first use set it on 6 easy. My straights have come back from restoration but I'm still learn to use them believe it or not they are safer to use then a shavette.

Back
Top Bottom