Rate The Last Film You Watched

The men who stare at goats.
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1234548/

Nicked a review that mostly matches my thoughts.

A great way to spend a lazy afternoon with a couple of mates
7/10 | Doctor_Mongoose | 13 Nov 2009

I'm going to say its definitely up there in the top few films I've seen at the cinema this year. It has been criticised for lacking more biting criticism of the US government, but I think people who are saying that are missing the point.

It does have a fair bit to say about how stupid the US Military can be and how they like to blow money on obviously pointless ventures, but there is a whole other side to it.

I thought that the film was more about the human spirit and how that if you want to make a difference and want to do something you've got to really go for it no matter how stupid the aim. Obviously the idea of trying to be a psychic spy is unattainable and may sound ludicrous, but so may be the notion of trying to create world peace and help bring different people together over a united cause. The film was more about how these drifters and lost souls managed to find something that they found worthy of pursuing and really devoted themselves to it, and I think this message is more admirable than any side-criticism of the USA.

The film plays out mainly as a buddy movie with Geogre Clooney, who is doing his usual comic act very well, and Ewan McGregor as they head around Iraq not really knowing what they are looking for and getting into loads of hilarious antics along the way. I don't think I've laughed so much in the cinema this year, and the whole audience was laughing along as well.

I thought the structure was hardly groundbreaking, but done really well. Flashbacks involving Jeff Bridges and Clooney help add comic relief during some of the straighter scenes in the film and also at times are used to rack up the tension and reveal interesting insights. It is of course up to your interpretation if the flashbacks are 100% real, because they are told from the point of view of Ewan McGregor, recounting stories that were told to him by Clooney. This sorts out another common criticism that the film is extremely unrealistic, but there are some key scenes saying that Clooney might not be telling the whole truth that I feel have been overlooked.

It isn't going to be Oscar-fare or the greatest thing you'll ever see but with a good cast and a lot of laughs there isn't really going to be a much better way of spending a lazy Saturday afternoon with some popcorn and a buddy or two.

As Above, So Below

Pretty good! Claustrophobic, the spoiled rich girl thing works well and just when it all looks hopeless, they get out ... by means which you've already figured out if you've seen enough of these. Linear, but enjoyable ... enjoyed! Oh, and it's 93 minutes. 93 93/93 :D

Funny Games (1997)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119167/

Watched this version first,as I tend to prefer the originals to remakes,and I also don't mind subtitles,so what did I think?.
Well,considering it was made in 1997,it was probably quite a departure from the usual movies that would be around at the time,not exactly totally original,but it did have a few elements that I cannot remember seeing in other films of this ilk.First off,unlike the the protagonists in 'The House at the Edge of the Park',or,'Last House on the Left',the villains in this were exceptionally polite,and rather well educated,even though the leader of the two,was a total sadist (probably a politician now!),his partner in crime,is more of a 'follower',as he is often being ridiculed by his 'friend',and does what he is told,without much argument.
There,was a part of this movie I just didn't get though,something involving a remote control...I will say no more!.
All in all,not bad,a few surprises here and there,along with a few horror movie cliché's,which was expected.And the moral of this story is,if a stranger asks to borrow some eggs,tell them to **** off!.
I rate this one 7.5/10

As Above, So Below

Pretty good! Claustrophobic, the spoiled rich girl thing works well and just when it all looks hopeless, they get out ... by means which you've already figured out if you've seen enough of these. Linear, but enjoyable ... enjoyed! Oh, and it's 93 minutes. 93 93/93 :D
I also enjoyed that one.Have you seen 'The Pyramid',they both have a lot in common.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2799166/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Mikey (1992)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104870/

This movie has been banned in the UK since 1992,I imagine,due to the James Bulger case,where the two psycho brats got a good lawyer (liar) and blamed all their problems on movies like 'Rambo' and 'Child's Play'....Dear oh dear....Thank the lord, the 1980 movie 'The Godsend' ,which is by far,the creepiest,child killer movie,of all time,bar none,(and it stars Angela Pleasence,Donald's daughter)!, managed to escape under the radar!.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080802/

Because they would have certainly banned that too....

SPOILER ALERT
So,whats it all about?,well,it starts off with a 9 year old boy,living with his adopted parents and younger sister,who decides to start a little bonfire in his bedroom,when caught out by his mother,says his sister,who is about 4-5,told him to do it,which she deny's,and so he is told "wait till your father gets home"...As you do,of course!.
Well,needless to say,he drowns his sister in the swimming pool,electrocutes his mother in the bath,and smashes his dads head in with a baseball bat...
Next thing you know is,he is fooling the police,social services,into believing a madman came in to the house whilst he was at the park,and killed them all....I forgot to mention,he videotaped it all!.That's right!,this movie puts reality to one side for the duration (as most horror's do).
Next thing we know,is 'Mikey' is being fostered/adopted out to another couple,on the other side of the country,the wife's job is an apparent Aquarium designer/maintainer....Since when did goldfish go in with Convict Cichlid's ????,and if she was designing my tanks,she would of got a right kick up the...Well less of my aquarist hobby knowledge,and back on to this abysmal movie!.
Needless to say,everybody thinks he is the perfect child,until his neighbours hot daughter comes back!,she was sent off for schooling for being a bit of a 'bad girl' (rather promiscuous,to say the least),and Mikey takes an unhealthy liking to her!,well,maybe healthy,as I would of liked the attentions of a hot,ready to rock,18yr old at that age!,but anyway...
He kills the family's cat,and sets the boyfriend up for it,then when his 'advances' to the hot next door neighbour,gets rebuffed,he goes on a killing spree...
In the mean time,his teacher is running some background checks on 'ole mikey,and all is not as it seems!,so,she turns up at his house,whilst he is in the middle of his killing spree,he kills her,with a slingshot,and kills,who I can only guess,is his principal,with a longbow,then,on to his mother,who he attacks with a claw hammer....
Now at this point,it was 4am,and I was tired,so I started to drift off to sleep (who needs lullaby's with the shite I watch 'er?...LOL!),so,I can only guess the ending..(I missed the last 5 min's),and that would be,the mother dies,the father lives,and the detective from the first case,figures out 'Mikey' is a psycho,and arrests him.I would watch the bits I missed,but TBH,it was really bad,the acting,the script,the story,were utter rubbish!.

I give this movie 3/10

(and it only got that,'cause the mum was quite hot,the foster mum had a nice pair,and the neighbours 18 yr old daughter was a right go'er.so 1 point for each!)

;)

Last edited:
That last samurai
Tam cruise

Excellent, i practise traditional jujitsu and katana work
So I'm biased

The shooter
Marky whalberg

I shoot and love long range plinking so,again I'm biased

Paul

Back
Top Bottom