Rare Gillette (Maybe Prototype ?)

Dug this one out of my collection, I got in about 8 or 9 years ago, it was in a box similar to the Red/Blue Tip Superspeed, however the box was completely transparent, it was smashed up a bit so didn't keep it (regret it now)

It has high mirror polished doors (Aluminium ?)
And it has as you can see a moulded cream plastic cover that can't be removed over the Knurling (well I presume it's knurled underneath as I can't see anything) it is stamped Gillette under the head but doesn't show where it was made but has a Brit Pat and number stamped inside the doors

I got this at kempton antique fair from a house clearance in isleworth which is not far from Gillette's old building which is why I'm thinking it could be a one off, test, prototype of just someone playing around ??

any ideas ?

Steve107A6F47-B048-47B2-A609-76E6A65426B1.jpeg4D4E64B1-93DE-441D-969B-869AF4CF7ED2.jpeg00EC69B9-76C9-4AF4-AA12-1EB57D495E9B.jpegCC88132D-3F7A-4951-AA07-F0652B3232E1.jpegA35FD2E2-39A5-4FDA-B666-5030666E6F14.jpeg7840E145-DB63-439D-8E26-5B26BAF4F0C9.jpeg176B957D-3626-4E8A-BC37-DC82D36AD15D.jpeg0D7413EF-942A-4841-821E-224C34BA2799.jpeg74011725-DCF4-4857-B0F0-FEA269ED946C.jpeg

As for the handle, I don't remember seeing any patents on my Gillette patent listing / index.
Here the collection of Gillette patents I researched.

They are organized chronologically by type.

Last edited:
To my eyes, the bit that stands out the most as "not quite right"" is the metal piece above the resin part of the handle. It just doesn't look "Gillette" and I'm not sure how to express that ...

Undoubtedly, it's a really nice razor and very well done. Moreover, that it is from the area where Gillette were manufactured does leave us with questions.

I know from collecting literally scores of absolutely unique, in one respect or another, 1912s that there were prototypes that were put together that were never repeated. Someone in the R&D department putting together something, happened to chat to one of the shop floor guys who poked his head in to see if they were going for a pint after work, took a liking, was told the by the R&D guy he was just messing around, handed the razor ... and it left the factory.

The handle itself put me immediately in mind of the Astra - the Russian 'Slim Twist' clone, but actually having one in my collection, it's not actually the same handle. I do recognise it though. I'm scouring my "sold" pictures to see if I had another clone with that handle. Again, my story above could well be along those lines: Russian clone was being inspected in the factory and someone found a happy coincidence that it fitted together neatly with bits in the parts bin.

Either way, congratulations! It's a smashing looking razor and quite the enigma.

To my eyes, the bit that stands out the most as "not quite right"" is the metal piece above the resin part of the handle. It just doesn't look "Gillette" and I'm not sure how to express that ...

Yes, that part looks as if turned on a lathe by the striations. However, we don't know what eqpmt. the R&D lab had/used then for projects. I thought the same thing as you at first glance as well. Let's wait on Achim's thoughts. :unsure:

as per Achim:

“Hi Steve,

interesting razor. Gillette England's development department was in Isleworth. A lot of quirky razors came from here that I would call fun razors.

Best wishes

Achim

so I'm taking it that this was more of a play around by someone at Gillette UK back in the day as were the razors that Achim sent pics of (that I posted earlier) rather than a prototype

It's a nice thing to have in my collection and a bit of Gillette history

Last edited:
@Sunburyboy93 did you ever find out anything more about this razor? I've been pointed to this thread after stumbling across the same razor (albeit not as good condition) and trying to find out about it.
IMG_20210504_205634_757.jpg20210504_203044.jpg

With more than one out there ... we know it's "a thing". Rather than a one-off, a short run?

Or some fella made a few for friends or to sell. Hard to know for sure w/o info. Gillette England was very innovative back in the day as well. I would try contacting the Gillette archivist with photos.

Undoubtedly, it's a really nice razor and very well done. Moreover, that it is from the area where Gillette were manufactured does leave us with questions.

I know from collecting literally scores of absolutely unique, in one respect or another, 1912s that there were prototypes that were put together that were never repeated. Someone in the R&D department putting together something, happened to chat to one of the shop floor guys who poked his head in to see if they were going for a pint after work, took a liking, was told the by the R&D guy he was just messing around, handed the razor ... and it left the factory.

The handle itself put me immediately in mind of the Astra - the Russian 'Slim Twist' clone, but actually having one in my collection, it's not actually the same handle. I do recognise it though. I'm scouring my "sold" pictures to see if I had another clone with that handle. Again, my story above could well be along those lines: Russian clone was being inspected in the factory and someone found a happy coincidence that it fitted together neatly with bits in the parts bin.

Either way, congratulations! It's a smashing looking razor and quite the enigma.
I agree, the top piece is odd, not like any regular Gillette piece I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom