R41 advice please

Just had another go. Far less sore this time, one minor cut, very smooth shave with reasonable comfort but I find the feel of this razor on the skin is SO disconcerting to me. I'm still not sure if I'll keep it.

Canuck said:
Just had another go. Far less sore this time, one minor cut, very smooth shave with reasonable comfort but I find the feel of this razor on the skin is SO disconcerting to me. I'm still not sure if I'll keep it.

I feel greater trepidation when i use my Merkur Vision on a wider more open setting.Which angle do you guys prefer to use shallow or deep?

Canuck said:
Very shallow seemed to work better tonight.

I cut myself to bits using the razor like that i'm completely the other way,I use a much steep sharper angle but not enough to scrape. Feels more comfortable to me but you got to go the way that's best for yourself as you know what suits one is no good for the other we are all different.

Third shave - and the last I will report on.
I am become a born again newbie - this razor sends us all back to school.
I am become pilgrim and the R102 is my master.
I must clear my mind of all extraneous matter and learn angle, blade control and breathing techniques, as well as developing muscle memory all over again.
All that I learned before was irrelevant - this was before Master R102 came into my life.
It is not the razor that must change, but I.

OMMMM

i had my 3rd shave with the r41 last night, and to be honest it hasnt been as dangerous as i feared. ive had 2 really good shaves with it, and one not so good, and the not so good shave was more down to me being in a hurry and and my letting my lather dry out a little. even then it wasnt a disastrous shave, just a little sore around the neck. as long as im careful and take my time i get a really good shave. however, its definitely a weekend shaver rather than an everyday one.

I had to jump on the bandwagon, mine arrived from Connaught over the w/e. I heard this razor should be treated like a straight/SE, so I used a glycerin soap pre-wash & thick Nanny's lather. Yep, this razor gives a very close shave, similar to my Micromatic but somehow easier to use. The shave/noise it makes reminded me of my Progress wound out, very satisfying indeed.

Caveat - I used all the skills I learned straight shaving (prep/skin stretching) when using this razor. Don't rush it, or have some steri-strips to hand.

Duffer said:
I had to jump on the bandwagon, mine arrived from Connaught over the w/e. I heard this razor should be treated like a straight/SE, so I used a glycerin soap pre-wash & thick Nanny's lather. Yep, this razor gives a very close shave, similar to my Micromatic but somehow easier to use. The shave/noise it makes reminded me of my Progress wound out, very satisfying indeed.

Caveat - I used all the skills I learned straight shaving (prep/skin stretching) when using this razor. Don't rush it, or have some steri-strips to hand.

I think that the problem with this razor is that it takes far too much concentration and time and that is why i swapped mine, too many rough as shaves when i did not really have the time and that's what is definitely needed with this razor plenty of time.

RobTheWire said:
Duffer said:

I think that the problem with this razor is that it takes far too much concentration and time and that is why i swapped mine, too many rough as shaves when i did not really have the time and that's what is definitely needed with this razor plenty of time.

I am always surprised about the comments on this razor. To me it is just another razor, bit more aggressive than most, but less than my favorites. Fairly well built, and a smooth shaver. Nothing wrong with it, but not one of my favorites as I found it a tad too mild ;-)

Wil said:
I am always surprised about the comments on this razor. To me it is just another razor, bit more aggressive than most, but less than my favorites. Fairly well built, and a smooth shaver. Nothing wrong with it, but not one of my favorites as I found it a tad too mild ;-)

Well all i can say is you must sprout barbed wire out of your rhino skin if you say that this razor is mild, what razors are more aggressive in your opinion then.

I can only think Wil is on a wind up, I can get how people like the R41, (it's beautiful), I can get how people admire it, enjoy it, live with it even, but it's not remotely mild in anyone's book, both the blade gap and the amount of exposed leading edge are massive.
I'm also interested to know what he considers aggressive. Since shaving with an R41 I'm now considering a slant to be pretty mild so I'm trying to picture something more extreme.

I briefly owned an R41, and I found that the flatter the blade was to my face (almost parallell), the more comfortable the shave.

I got rid of mine pretty sharpish, but I must admit that I feel that I didn't really give the razor a proper trial, but it did take me almost as long to shave with the R41 as it did with a Feather AC!!

Ian

Canuck said:
I can only think Wil is on a wind up, I can get how people like the R41, (it's beautiful), I can get how people admire it, enjoy it, live with it even, but it's not remotely mild in anyone's book, both the blade gap and the amount of exposed leading edge are massive.
I'm also interested to know what he considers aggressive. Since shaving with an R41 I'm now considering a slant to be pretty mild so I'm trying to picture something more extreme.
I am serious, tho i do like to joke ;-). So far i have not encounterd an aggressive razor.even my favorites i consider mild. Since you want to know:
DE. Fatip and English NEW
SE. English Ever Ready 1912
Injector. Feather AC SS and Kai Captain

Hope to get a shave ready straight from one of the members here (traded it with Dipesh for a foldable AC SS). As soon as i have it (and it proves to be shave ready) i will report on that.

So far i have not encounterd an aggressive razor.even my favorites i consider mild.

I'm not sure I get that... it's a bit like driving a lot of different cars from Fords to Ferraris but not considering any of them to be at all fast. Surely there has to be a frame of reference, in other words one of them IS fast, by comparison at least.

Maybe I'm just not understanding this concept of all razors being mild, if so, don't mind me. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom