R41 advice please

After a single R41 shave I converted it to an R89 and it will stay that way until I have a lot more experience! It wasn't a totally aggressive shave - just a bit bloodier than I'd like - kept beheading my wrinkles and bumps between the teeth.

press said:
I'm dreading mine dropping through the letterbox in the morning so many negative comments about this razor in general. Also Shaving Shack aren't helping discontinuing their sales for some reason or other.

I know what you mean. I've had 2 shaves with this razor and it definately commands attention and respect. It's nothing to be feared, though, just a skill that needs to be mastered. The results are very, very good. This is the first razor I have had a satisfactory 2 pass shave with. (Thank God!, I think it could have been quite messy if I went with a third pass!)

Yes I noticed Shaving Shack had discontinued this razor. Is that because the razor itself is now discontinued, or simply that the Shaving Shack no longer stock it?

Jules

I love this razor. I bought it with a spare 89R head that I use for intermediate passes and touch ups under the nose and on the chin.

I think one really has to adjust its technique : The angle is clearly different and the way the razor has to be moved on the face is different. Something one has to find by himself so don't give up too soon. I have found that stretching the skin like it is often advised when shaving with a straight helps.

It feels less comfortable than a milder razors on the face but post shave wise it is incredibly good.

i had my first shave with the r41 last night and had a wonderful shave. id read quite a few posts on here and on other sites and kept telling myself its only a razor. i was a little nervous about it but in the end instinct took over and allowed me to shave with it. i loved it :)

I think Muhle must have brainwashed you all into thinking this is how good it should be.
The only good thing about this razor is how nice it looks in its box and thats the best place for it.

press said:
I think Muhle must have brainwashed you all into thinking this is how good it should be.
The only good thing about this razor is how nice it looks in its box and thats the best place for it.
Yes, I bought this razor for its looks too. Had some nice shaves with it and held on with the sore after the shaves thinking - it's just the "getting used to it" phase. No it ain't, my baby face is just to baby for this razor... I admire its beauty but unfortunately it's a "no please" for me...

I shall be having my first shave with it tomorrow. Surely it can't be any more aggressive than the Joris (which will be getting flogged on EBay during the next free listing day) or Canadian Old.

Even though completely inexperienced and with utter naivete, my shave with R41 was going fine until I got cocky and over-confident and th[/align]en it went downhill rapidly. With care and respect, I'm sure you will do fine.

I still have my R41 head, pending the day I know how to work with a tad more agggression. The slant is still to come. as well.

Had my first shave with my new R102 this evening.
When I saw the blade gap :icon_eek: I knew I would have to be careful - this not a razor to be treated in a cavalier fashion.
Shave done, face sore and a minor weeper on the very base of my neck - this is going to be a long learning curve.
But what a shave - I always thought BBS was a myth - not any more!

(all the same - where can one buy separate Muhle heads?)

SirPrize said:
Had my first shave with my new R102 this evening.
When I saw the blade gap :icon_eek: I knew I would have to be careful - this not a razor to be treated in a cavalier fashion.
Shave done, face sore and a minor weeper on the very base of my neck - this is going to be a long learning curve.
But what a shave - I always thought BBS was a myth - not any more!

(all the same - where can one buy separate Muhle heads?)

I've sent you a link by pm Anthony for a razor head .A complete razor from amazon works out as cheap.

Dipesh said:
With all due respect to Geofatboy, I could never shave like him. I also think he holds his razor in quite a different way to what I would call the norm, he cradles it which i think leads to his really steep angle. My skin is quite tough but an angle as steep as his and the R41 would kill me.
He's got some seriously tough skin!

Echo that - he must have the hide of a Rhino.
I could never shave at such a steep angle. :huh:

Used mine just now.

Not as bad as I feared. It's certainly not worse than my most aggressive razors (the Joris and the Old).

However I agree it is very aggressive. That feel of the blade touching your face is always interesting! I spent quite a while crafting up a storm of lather (MWF and Simpson Emperor).

Did two WTG and one ATG pass. Have ended up with a few weepers but no irritation and a BBS shave.

Not a daily shaver, but one I will use at weekends probably.

I liked Geofatboy's video, tell the truth I like a lot of his videos, I'm not bothered that they're basically adverts for the razor in question (and his retail business), he describes things well and he's fun to watch.

He probably gave me a note of confidence in that video which evaporated after the first shave with this razor. But I'm having another go tomorrow, I'm not letting it beat me yet. Still no cuts, (only mild tenderness) and a decent result in terms of smoothness so I'm calling it a score draw at the mo.

Second shave.
Three minor weepers, but not nearly as sore.
I have found that it is best to keep the handle almost perpendicular to the face - odd thing to do but now I seem to be getting a shave rather than a scrape!

Well Chaps another six shaves in with the R41 and it seems I will have to eat a big chunk of humble pie.After trying a few different angles and plenty of perserverance I found a angle thats feels completely alien during the shave but works a treat.Atg a little bit more dodgey than Wtg but the end result with a Shark stainless blade very smooth with little irritation.
The only downside I see are blades are blunting rapidly. Two shaves are pushing it with my short experience with this. Shark and Gillette Yellow used also one shave with a Gillette Swede, will see how that holds out in the morning. Gut feeling is this will want throwing as well, may well be ok in a different razor for extra shaves I'll see.
Glad this thing started to behave,the photos on my pc meant for ebay will be deleted shortly.
Give it another chance that's all i say.
Chris

Back
Top Bottom