Quality DE Razors

Following a holiday in Turkey and many visits to get my face/head shaved (cheeky Charies in Altinkum) I am hooked and have already spent a small fortune. I can see how additive this is and already have 3 DE razors, but what I do not want to get into is many cheapish razors that never see the light of day. So my question is what 'quality' razors should I be looking at? I have seen the Feather razors and they look very tempting but at a price (I might have to wait for Xmas)

Andy

Andybaldybilly said:
Following a holiday in Turkey and many visits to get my face/head shaved (cheeky Charies in Altinkum) I am hooked and have already spent a small fortune. I can see how additive this is and already have 3 DE razors, but what I do not want to get into is many cheapish razors that never see the light of day. So my question is what 'quality' razors should I be looking at? I have seen the Feather razors and they look very tempting but at a price (I might have to wait for Xmas)

Andy

Andy, why not let us know what you already have, its likely you already possess a "quality" razor as the good ones are not always the expensive ones!

Depends what you call quality really, are we talking about the £30 sort of mark upwards, or purely the silly money sort of end like the Merkur Vision and Feather DE?

I think the Merkur 34C HD is really hard to beat, it's the Mercedes of the razor world. I don't understand how the Feather is 70 pounds more than a Merkur, I'm never quite sure where that extra 70 quid is going.

Gingerpose said:
Andy, why not let us know what you already have, its likely you already possess a "quality" razor as the good ones are not always the expensive ones!

And also there is no guarantee as to what is the best fit for you.

Of all the razors I've shaved with so far (about 8 in total ranging from £3 to over £100) my 'go to' razor is a Gillette New OC that cost £15.

My £45 Merkur Futur, sits on a shelf, generally gathering dust. Meanwhile, my gillettes (all 1940's and 50's), which range from 2 quid to 20, are all in regular use. My most used razor is a £4 superspeed.
Quality? Kind of depends on which is more important, the look of the razor or its results

I'd agree with the gents above me. What razors have you already got? What sort of beard growth do you have - light or heavy? Do you like an aggressive razor or a mild razor? You might well find that a cheaper razor suits your needs better than an expensive one.

I don't know which forum, or who wrote it, but once someone answered to a similar question, that he thought everyone should at least have a go at the following to figure out what they liked:

-contemporary guard bar DE
-contemporary open comb DE
-Vintage guard bar DE
-Vintage open comb
-slant
-SE of some sort

I have tried one of all sorts, except a contemporary open comb. My go to razor at the moment is a Merkur 37C slant.

I would say choose a reasonably well build razor of a type you have not tried yet. If you do not like it, and its a reasonable razor, you will be able to load it off at the BST section.

/Max

As said previously, cost may well be a factor in putting together a collection, however it doesn't always bear a direct correlation to performance. The Cobra SE I bought 3rd hand now costs (I believe) somewhere north of £100, however it certainly isn't proportionally superior to the £7 Ever Ready SE I use most days. For me, anything beyond the £40 mark would have to struggle to justify the price diff in terms of performance. But, that's just me ymmv.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Like to toss my hat into the ring for the Old Head R41 Muhle . If you're looking for non vintage, I don't think that you can do better for the price now. Well made, good brand, and a reck of a 'shaver'.

Andybaldybilly said:
All, OK thanks for the feedback, point taken. My main weapon of choice is the Merkur 34C HD, yes it is a great shave but like all hobbies I do, I like to collect :)

If you want to collect, you could probably find yourself spending a fair bit of money quite quickly, particularly if you go after "collector grade" vintage razors, but if your just interested in "shaver grade" then I'd say pick up a few vintage Gillettes (cheaply) and see how they fit you.

Yellow Jim said:
Andybaldybilly said:
All, OK thanks for the feedback, point taken. My main weapon of choice is the Merkur 34C HD, yes it is a great shave but like all hobbies I do, I like to collect :)

If you want to collect, you could probably find yourself spending a fair bit of money quite quickly, particularly if you go after "collector grade" vintage razors, but if your just interested in "shaver grade" then I'd say pick up a few vintage Gillettes (cheaply) and see how they fit you.

I am assuming ebay is the best place to buy?

If you like a gamble then there are bargains on the bay of evil, if you prefer to be given an honest description of the genuine article I'd unhesitatingly recommend one of the guys who regularly trade on this forum. It's nice to know that you wont get ripped off and that many others on here have previously dealt with whomever you buy from.

I wont give a list of them as I don't want to play favourites, however the main 2 or 3 appear regularly in aquisitions & the BST sections. Drop one of them a pm & see what they'd suggest, you wont regret it............... I certainly haven't !

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

I have several vintage Gillettes,all the usuals,Fatboys,Superspeeds and even a Toggle but the one i most often use is my short handled black adjustable,which,as it happens was a freebie from a fellow member.

Dave.

Back
Top Bottom