Punctuation and why I keep having a go at huxley

Language is constantly evolving. I suppose that's a good thing, but I don't know if I will ever get used to the slovenliness of "ur" for "your" or "you're".

But there are rules about punctuation, and I'm up my own backside about them. I'm not a member of that "correct use of the apostrophe" society yet, but that's only because I haven't bothered to join (I might have to pay - outrageous!). I've had a couple of playful jibes at huxley because he does stream of consciousness posts that leave my eyes tired, and good feller that he is, he's taken them in the spirit they were sent (though in my head I imagine that, in real life, he looks like that caffeine-crazed guy in his avatar).

I'm rambling - and after only one bottle of beer. Permit me to ramble more.

One of the reasons I believe punctuation to be important is that I nearly got divorced over it. This was a few years ago, when texting was new and mobile phones were the size of bricks. I was at work, minding my own business, when I got a text off my wife. We hadn't been married that many years. It said this: "Wish I could see you later love you xx"

It stopped me in my tracks. As far as I was aware, she was seeing me later. We lived in the same house, and neither of us had any plans to be out that evening. So... who was this person she wished she could see later? And why, if she was my wife of only a few years, did she love that person? I spent the afternoon wrestling with it. Who was this person she thought she'd sent a text message to, and how could our marriage have gone so wrong after so little time? Why had there been no other warning signs?

It was only as I drove home, expecting a nasty confrontation, that realisation dawned. You see, mobile phones - as I've already said - were new and bulky, and my wife didn't always carry hers with her or have it switched on (man alive the batteries ran down fast in those days, eh?). A couple of days earlier I'd taken a day off work for a reason that escapes me. I remember it was a fine autumn day, and I was walking along a path that was covered in brown and golden leaves that had fallen from the trees around me. I was kicking my way through them, and I decided to send my wife - who was at work - a text message. My text message said this: "Come kick leaves with me!"

Two days later she turned her phone on, got that message, and sent me a reply. With the correct punctuation, it would have looked like this: "Wish I could, see you later, love you xx"

Well... that's her story, and she's sticking to it.

All this talk of Christmas has caused me to get the Harveys Bristol Cream out! Just the job didn't fancy beer or whisky, so was going for Port or Madeira and spotted the sherry, just the job tonight.

cheese_dave said:
Language is constantly evolving. I suppose that's a good thing, but I don't know if I will ever get used to the slovenliness of "ur" for "your" or "you're".

No need - that's why people don't live that long, so language can has more evolving.

In other news Comma costs millions always makes me smile.

In terms of punctuation, it's not a case of language, more that i don't have time, and can't be arsed. :mrgreen:

I excelled in english, many moons ago.

As for language evolving, well that's like anything in life. Those that don't adapt, find themselves being left behind.

Now enough of this diatribe, i've got to drop the kids off by the pool. :p

I'm with you all the way Cheese_dave.

My Mrs always uses bad spelling and incorrect grammar when it comes to texting. She used predictive text and I've lost count of the amount of times I've read "Im board" and in reply to "What are we having for dinner?" I get a text saying "Smart beef with smart potatoes."

I'm more of a spelling and pronunciation nazi than a grammar nazi. You do know that last year there was talk of altering the dictionary (and the school stimuli) to accept modern spellings of words. I.e. doing away with the different ways of writing "there" and also allowing and accepting spelling words as they are pronounced. Doing away with silent letters etc.

I can undertsand people wishing to use short hand for texts but come on, how much "time" are you actually saving by writing U instead of you.

P.S. I also hate those people online who TyPe LyK dIs, It DuZ mA tItZ n.

Andy

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5 year phase-in plan that would be known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, 's' will replace the soft 'c'. Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard 'c' will be dropped in favour of the 'k'. This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome 'ph' will be replased with the 'f'. This will make words like 'fotograf' 20% shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double leters which have always been a deterent to akurate speling. Also al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent 'e' in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer peopl will be reseptiv to steps such as replasing 'th'with 'z' and 'w' with 'v'. During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary 'o' be dropd from vords kontaining 'ou' and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to oza kombinations of letas.

After ziz fifz yer ve vil have a rali sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu anderstand ech oza. Ze drem of an united Urop vil finali kum tru!

Nice one HM, not seen that in a while.

I should hate to be a foreigner trying to learn English. For example:

through
enough
bough

and as for the last one:
bough
bow (as in bend at the waste/waist :lol: )
bow (as in bow and arrow)

It's gotta be a nightmare.

One of my favourites is "FISH" spelled "GHOTI". The "GH" from "enough", the "O" from "women", the "TI" from "station".

Could be worse. My mum's been speaking Polish for about 30 years, cos she d8d n married a Polish guy lol. After showing her how to use teh intertron to learn about Polish I've just started to see why see has been saying it's unfathomably complex. 7 cases, 7 genders and said to be the hardest language by some links I clicked on via Google, it must be true.

I always liked this summary of English:

The bandage was wound around the wound.

The farm was used to produce produce.

The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.

We must polish the Polish furniture.

He could lead if he would get the lead out.

The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert..

A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.

I did not object to the object.

The insurance was invalid for the invalid.

Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.

There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.

They were too close to the door to close it.

The buck does funny things when the does are present.

A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.

To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.

The wind was too strong to wind the sail.

After a number of injections my jaw got number.

Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.

I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.

How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

A few of my kung fu friends have also mentioned the futility of someone with a strong Glaswegian accent attempting to learn Eastern languages. When the meaning changes as you vary the tone all hell breaks loose.

One tip: If you attend a wedding with a lot of American people present don't let everyone know you're nipping out for a fag. I've done it so you don't have to.

Proinsias said:
One tip: If you attend a wedding with a lot of American people present don't let everyone know you're nipping out for a fag. I've done it so you don't have to.

I remember a fellow Scot describing a scent on Basenotes once. I think it was Chanel Anteus and he said "I like it even with the burnt fag smell". Well...... you can imagine........... it all took off from there.

Back
Top Bottom