Proraso soaps. Any good?

My very uneducated guess would be ... menthol. Companies seem to put menthol in for 'sensitive skin' ones - perhaps to 'desensitivise' the skin?

I'm fine with menthol. I can't remember the name of the chemical but someone mentioned Palmolive Sensitive had something the regular one didn't. It is something that seems to appear in a few creams and those all seem to make my face burn.

I'm fine with menthol. I can't remember the name of the chemical but someone mentioned Palmolive Sensitive had something the regular one didn't. It is something that seems to appear in a few creams and those all seem to make my face burn.
Ah, so it's something else. I'm now curious what are the other chemicals that are supposed to soothe or desensitivise skin...

This is the Proraso White.

proraso-white-ingredients-500x427.jpg

Now I'm wondering whether one isn't an earlier formulation.
I ordered mine 4 September 2020.
Haven't actually used it yet, because for the last 5-9 months, I've mostly been using up the soap samples I have (and mostly one or two other soaps before that). :oops:

Last edited:
I
Now I'm wondering whether one isn't an earlier formulation.
I ordered mine 4 September 2020.
Haven't actually used it yet, because for the last 5-9 months, I've mostly been using up the soap samples I have (and mostly one or two other soaps before that). :oops:
I have a tube of white, I used it today. It has menthol, and the box says NEW.
IMG_20230629_195418.jpg
IMG_20230629_194952.jpg

I’ve just checked my Proraso white soap and creams and none of them have menthol in them. These were all bought within the last year or two so am assuming are the latest formula. I know the new formula has been around for a few years now. It does seem odd that they would create a sensitive cream / soap and then put menthol in it! The illustration here from the cream that I have….

Attachments

• B6C6DBCE-482C-4B44-9CE3-E167E245988D.jpeg
    B6C6DBCE-482C-4B44-9CE3-E167E245988D.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 3
I’ve just checked my Proraso white soap and creams and none of them have menthol in them. These were all bought within the last year or two so am assuming are the latest formula. I know the new formula has been around for a few years now. It does seem odd that they would create a sensitive cream / soap and then put menthol in it! The illustration here from the cream that I have….
Interesting. I don't like the green because of the menthol, but not noticed it in the white that I have. It must be a matter of strength.

Sorry to go on a tangent, but a bunch of products marketed 'sensitive' that I came across have menthol in them (not necessarily a lot though):
- Lea Classic cream, 'for sensitive skin', has loads of menthol
- Gillette Skin Ultra Sensitive Cream
- Speick Men After Shave Balm sensitive
I also used Proraso White soap quite a bit, and it never felt 'menthol-y' at all. It's the 'new' formulation, so who knows. (I don't have the box anymore.)

The white is aimed at sensitive skin, and contains oatmeal, and nothing that would give you a reaction.
The blue is marketed as Protective.
Red contains Shea butter, and is recommended for those with tough bristles that need extra softening before a shave.
The Green is supposed to be the Proraso flagship. For normal skin. I don't like the menthol.

Unlike some other creams/soaps, it isn't all the same bland cream with different perfumes.
The idea is to chose one that suits your skin.
The red is the one that used to have the oatmeal, back when I started shaving, before it got turned into a sandalwood soap/shaving cream. I haven't seen a tube of that in ages.

Does the current formulation leave white residue all over the brush, razor, and sink like the older formula?

Back
Top Bottom