Proraso soaps. Any good?

Satanfriendly

Supporter
Supporter
LeJog 2022 Finisher
Can't believe I've been here for over 7 years and never tried Proraso until recently. Highly impressed by some of their balm on a cheapy from TK and just wondered what their Soaps and creams are like.

Worth a hit?

Thanks in advance

The green aftershave is supposed to be a classic, but I've not used it. Many rate it incredibly highly.

Their green shaving cream is pretty good, nice and slick. The new Super Formula formulations are better than the older formulation, which is largely off the shelves now.

Along those lines, if I would recommend one mentholated shaving cream it would be Palmolive Menthol. It's pretty much their standard one with some menthol, but for whatever reason it seems to perform better than the standard green one.

They are definitely good for the money there’s no doubt about it however i had two and gave them away in a pif.
i don’t know if it’s me being a snob or maybe i just have a lot better so didn’t use them as much.
They are similar to the Arko creams in terms of being cheap & get the job done.

Thanks your replies chaps. I shall have to give one a try in this case but I will give the menthol a miss as not my thing.

Around. There's another one I have never tried.

Proraso reformulated all their soaps and creams a couple of years ago, prior to that they were a bit meh performing (zero slickness) but were forgiven as it was the first traditional shaving software used by many. The current range is very good, on par with mid tier artisans IMO and basically good enough, I use it with carts, DE's and straights. Their aftershaves are just as good, the balms are not far behind those of ABC for 1/5 the price.

Green is eucalyptus and menthol, the original scent... It's somewhat harsh but quite refreshing on a summers day.
Red is sandalwood, an extremely authentic one at that probably due to it being derived from genuine Australian sandalwood oil.
White is apple & lime, this is their most modern scent IMO, some claim is smells identical to the soaps provided in Japanese hotels.
Blue is supposed to be a modern cologne scent, I found it so bad it was off-putting and I had to rinse it off. YMMV.

Can't believe I've been here for over 7 years and never tried Proraso until recently. Highly impressed by some of their balm on a cheapy from TK and just wondered what their Soaps and creams are like.

Worth a hit?

Thanks in advance
Their creams and soaps are great! You don’t need much of the cream to make a great lather, and the soaps lather up really well and last for ages. Would also recommend their pre shave cream, which is extremely good stuff. All of Proraso’s products punch above their weight in terms of price. The scents of their creams and soaps are where it’s worth trying a few out to see which you prefer. The green is a classic, and depends on your liking of menthol and eucalyptus. The pre shave cream is particularly strong on that score. The red is a strong sandalwood scent that is unlike any other sandalwood soap, possibly just because it is very strong. I like it, but find it a bit overpowering as a scent and prefer other sandalwood creams and soaps, but know some people love the Proraso red scent. The white has a lovely citrusy scent that is more subtle than the other scents, and the blue has a strange scent that I’ve never quite been able to put my finger on, a sort of manly anaseedy scent that I initially wasn’t keen on but kinda like. Only the red, green and red are available as soaps, and for me the white in the soap seems to work more effectively, though they’re all as I say extremely good. I would recommend trying one of each of the creams to work out which you prefer, as some you’ll like and some you won’t or won’t be so keen on. There are some newer scents they’ve brought out in the last few years - azur lime; wood and spice; and cypress and vetyver - that are more expensive, but which I haven’t tried. I have heard very positive things about them, and know a lot of people prefer those newer scents to the older more traditional ones.

I am currently alternating between Proraso green menthol tub of soap and a tub of MWF. The Proraso is good and i rate it. Had a tub of same when i first returned to DE in 2016 and worked my way thru that happily. Have used the greencream too and that is good, but rate Palmolive cream more highly.

Have tried Proraso white range and thought they were all a bit Meh!

I am impressed with the Proraso blue cream with Aloe Vera - i found it made the razor glide and my skin felt good afterwards.

I’m a fan of the red as it performs excellently and as has been said the sandalwood scent is fabulous. The red cream is also good as is the aftershave. I find I rarely need a balm these days. I’ve used the old formulation of the green soap which was on the poor side but I enjoyed the scent and eucalyptus/menthol. Didn’t like the blue cream so much. Scent wasn’t to my liking and the performance didn’t match the red. Never tried the white in any form. In my lowly opinion, a chap could shave happily for the rest of his days using anything from the current Proraso range. La Barbiera have great prices on most of their products.

I like this brand a lot, as good as more expensive creams. Just now, usethe tubed creams. I bowl lather them. At first it looks like it will be too frothy, but keep going and it turns into a smooth, glossy lather, very creamy.
Very kind my sometimes sensitive skin.

The white is aimed at sensitive skin, and contains oatmeal, and nothing that would give you a reaction.
The blue is marketed as Protective.
Red contains Shea butter, and is recommended for those with tough bristles that need extra softening before a shave.
The Green is supposed to be the Proraso flagship. For normal skin. I don't like the menthol.

Unlike some other creams/soaps, it isn't all the same bland cream with different perfumes.
The idea is to chose one that suits your skin.

The white is aimed at sensitive skin, and contains oatmeal, and nothing that would give you a reaction.
The blue is marketed as Protective.
Red contains Shea butter, and is recommended for those with tough bristles that need extra softening before a shave.
The Green is supposed to be the Proraso flagship. For normal skin. I don't like the menthol.

Unlike some other creams/soaps, it isn't all the same bland cream with different perfumes.
The idea is to chose one that suits your skin.

The White Cream made my face burn. Near enough every shaving cream I have used with the word sensitive has made my face burn, no idea why!

Back
Top Bottom