Proraso or is it just me?

chrisbell said:
Hi Speedy, how are you lathering the Proraso? It might be worth your while reading Antdad's soap lathering tutorial in the Shaving Help section of the forum - his technique certainly helped me when I first used a soap.

i dont usually get too great lather

i allways overload the brush

i seem to get about 3-4 passes worth of foam from brush after hardly any time loading

You need to pick up fairly dry "paste" onto the brush from the cake of soap, that way you can get lots of soap into the brush by swirling and pumping the brush for between 30 seconds and a minute without getting loads of frothy suds.

chrisbell said:
You need to pick up fairly dry "paste" onto the brush from the cake of soap, that way you can get lots of soap into the brush by swirling and pumping the brush for between 30 seconds and a minute without getting loads of frothy suds.

thanks for that, worked a treat

grabed brush (didnt pre soak)

swirled in tabac for 30 secs-1min

then added a drop of water and did face lather and it worked a lot better (really good lather, not thick but it was very slick)

shanky887614 said:

i seem to get about 3-4 passes worth of foam from brush after hardly any time loading

I don't really get what you are saying here, do you think you load too much soap to get a good lather? if so just add water.

Boab said:
shanky887614 said:

I don't really get what you are saying here, do you think you load too much soap to get a good lather? if so just add water.

i just use way too much soap:icon_mrgreen:

i think i load it up way too much and probably have enough for 6-8 passes. never do more than 3

While it just might be a soap you don't get on with, it's essentially the same as the cream in a firmer form, so it should behave as well as that does.

If your brush is too wet on loading, you'll just foam it up and never get enough off. What's left in the brush to lather up won't be much chop either.

The technique that work well with soft soaps might help (which is pretty much the same as I use for any soap). A damp, as opposed to wet brush and loading up well. A good indication it's getting loaded nicely is when you get a soft, creamy consistency working off into the brush. It should lather like a rabid dog on crystal meth after that.

If you still don't like it after some goes at that, try another product.

SpeedyBabylon5 said:
Had to give the Proraso soap a try after all the good things i read about it, Got the soap in the green tub not the cream. Tried it several times with a badger and a 404 but each time i can never seem to get a comfortable shave. I have tried to bowl lather and face lather but neither seems to suit me. I love MWF and TOBS but cant seem to get a similar shave with the Proraso. All part of my learning process and so many more soaps/creams to try. Is it usual for something that works so well for many not to work for the small minority?

seems to work great for me every single time...Proraso is among my favourite soaps!

For a creamy soap it really seems to prefer a good stiff brush.

Still, its a cracking soap. All that menthol and a decent cuppa is enough to kick me into life in the morning and that is saying something.

I'm with Boab, no-one says you have to get on with a soap.

If you don't like, you don't like. There are many more soaps and creams that you will click with straight away.

PS: (Whisper it). I don't like Proraso anything. I don't like the smell or the menthol-y feel. There is no nailed-on certain shave soap, no matter how many fans it has.

Enjoy whatever you try.

Hiya,

Back about five years ago, a large store chain (Target) took on the Proraso line in some select retail outlets. Had both the red and green soap and cream versions. plus the canned stuff. Tried it back then and just didn't get it. Oh yeah, the stores also had that huge silver handle boar Proraso brush. Heh, matter of fact, I still have the thing somewhere in the arsenal.

Used the green proraso tub once again maybe three months ago....I still don't get it. Of course, not liking menthol doesn't help, but the performance was very average for me. Still, I was glad to try it once again to reaffirm my opinion.

Martin

Moved on to Valobra! now this is a soap I can work with. Lathers wonderfully and is almost as good a shave as MWF.
I am still learning and I feel I sometimes run my lathers to thick and they seem to dry out before the end of the shave. Is this normal or should I use a thiner more watery lather for slickness?

Nick

Boab said:
It's just you :D

I am one of the few people who hates Tabac, I find the smell bad and the lather gave me an itchy neck for hours after I used it. If you tried the proraso a few times and it doesn't work then move on to something else. You don't have to persevere with something which doesn't work even if everyone else really enjoys using it.

This ^^^

SpeedyBabylon5 said:
Moved on to Valobra! now this is a soap I can work with. Lathers wonderfully and is almost as good a shave as MWF.
I am still learning and I feel I sometimes run my lathers to thick and they seem to dry out before the end of the shave. Is this normal or should I use a thiner more watery lather for slickness?

Nick

I tried Valobra menthol for the first time this week and thought it was nothing special. not bad, but wouldn't buy it again... Also, if there is actually menthol in it, I'll be a monkeys uncle.

Lather wise, it's just a matter of find what's best for you. Watch the Mantic59 videos for a guide, then just go at it. Practice makes perfect and all that.

I normally chop a bit off and lather it in the scuttle.

I get a decent lather from it, and like the menthol feel but it certainly isn't one of my best soaps and I doubt I'd buy it again to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom