Proraso or is it just me?

Had to give the Proraso soap a try after all the good things i read about it, Got the soap in the green tub not the cream. Tried it several times with a badger and a 404 but each time i can never seem to get a comfortable shave. I have tried to bowl lather and face lather but neither seems to suit me. I love MWF and TOBS but cant seem to get a similar shave with the Proraso. All part of my learning process and so many more soaps/creams to try. Is it usual for something that works so well for many not to work for the small minority?

It's just you :D

I am one of the few people who hates Tabac, I find the smell bad and the lather gave me an itchy neck for hours after I used it. If you tried the proraso a few times and it doesn't work then move on to something else. You don't have to persevere with something which doesn't work even if everyone else really enjoys using it.

Boab said:
It's just you :D

I am one of the few people who hates Tabac, I find the smell bad and the lather gave me an itchy neck for hours after I used it. If you tried the proraso a few times and it doesn't work then move on to something else. You don't have to persevere with something which doesn't work even if everyone else really enjoys using it.

with tabac i find it dries out really quick for me, had a problem with a rash with wilkinsons

I'm a bit of a sucker for Palmolive cream but i feel a bit of a cheat using it, feel im missing out on the whole lathering/loading a brush thing! Palmolive does work well though, Is Arko cream as good?

SpeedyBabylon5 said:
I'm a bit of a sucker for Palmolive cream but i feel a bit of a cheat using it, feel im missing out on the whole lathering/loading a brush thing! Palmolive does work well though, Is Arko cream as good?

some people love it others hate it

like tabac, some people really dont like the smell

SpeedyBabylon5 said:

Never tried Arko cream, however if you want to try the soap pm me & I'll pop a sample in the post. I've never used a soap which lathers so profusely & easily in any type of water. You will almost definitely really like or really dislike the most distinctive smell. And never store it within 6" of a wet brush, my advice.

JohnnyO. \:dodgy:

Thanks for the offer but i already have the Arko stick, reminds me of my Turkish holidays. Would love my head and face shaves, luckily we have just had a Turkish barber open up near home and i can get my head shaved and ears singed!

I don't think there is such a thing that, "this brand is very good or very popular so its got to work for me" . Thats why there are so many different brands, types of soaps, creams, razors, brushes etc. But the good thing about soaps, they are cheap enough to buy and try. when i first used proraso i couldn't get a good lather perhaps i was rushing, but give it a few more try and it may work better, or it may not.

I too don't think Proraso in the green tub is all that either tbh, its on a par with Wilkinson sword blue except it feels a bit colder and i dont get that great a shave with it, i do get razor burn more with it though, i love Palmolive green and mwf.

IanM said:
The Proraso soap does take some effort to lather, but the cream virtually lathers itself!

Ian

I agree about the cream. I think it'd be harder to not get a usable lather from it.

I'd always assumed the tube and the tub were the same stuff, with just a different packaging. You learn something new everyday.

RobTheWire said:
I too don't think Proraso in the green tub is all that either tbh, its on a par with Wilkinson sword blue except it feels a bit colder and i dont get that great a shave with it, i do get razor burn more with it though, i love Palmolive green and mwf.

I dispute that - Wilkinson Blue Bowl is only fit for lubricating woodscrews (even then, a bar of hand soap is better for the job - just doesn't come in a protective case to keep the soap clean in your toolbox). Proraso soap is perfectly usable as a shaving soap. If you struggle lathering Proraso soap, you're in all sorts of trouble...

Hi Speedy, how are you lathering the Proraso? It might be worth your while reading Antdad's soap lathering tutorial in the Shaving Help section of the forum - his technique certainly helped me when I first used a soap.

Back
Top Bottom