Pre-Shave/Exfoliating Soap

I use this in the shower quite a bit:

images

I like the scrubby sort of feeling. Don't know how well it acts as an actual pre-shave but it feels good.

I make an exfoliating soap - a black one. :shock: It is made with activated charcoal and I call it Goth soap ;)

Dunno about the possible benefits pre-shave, but I think it is a good idea to exfoliate anyway as it seems to keep the skin looking clearer.

I will be really interested to see what people have to say about this subject.

Artisan :)

There is quite a lot of chatter about exfoliating with shaving brush or pre shave product, to me it's one of the products that has unnecessarily crossed the gender divide. Not only is it unnecessary, you really can't exfoiliate any better than scrapping your skin with a razor's edge at least on the beard area.

Generalising hugely it's why a man's skin who shaves (well) looks in better nick than a woman of a certain similar age. So ladies start wet shaving it's good for your skin. ;)

Is it the exfoliation or the stimulation which is the beneficial factor?

The scrubby soaps I have currently are Gardeners' Scrub and Degrease - both of these would be too harsh for facial use: Degrease in particular - it was formulated for greasy, mucky hands with pumice powder for the scrub and has a conditioner included to counteract the drying effect of the high-cleansing factor, the gardeners' one has the conditioner but not quite so high cleansing factor and also has a couple of herbal macerations in the formula with herbs for the scrub (it's the "green one with bits" which beejay mentioned in another topic).

I sometimes make an oatmeal soap - this would be fine on the face and there's a few other substances whic would not be too harsh for facial use.

Coffee scrub soap is another all body one - but again probably too harsh for facial use.

Adam D said:
^^^^

I agree that shaving is a great way of exfoliating, but what about your forehead, cheeks and nose?

Just be careful. :shock:

If your skin needs a sluff in those areas fine, don't do it too often. I think you're better off using a good cleanser/toner like Thayers on a frequent basis.

About once a week I use Pinaud "Energising Face Scrub" which is a mild exfoliant. I invariably use it in the late evening when I have shaved in the morning. For my skin I reckon it would be asking for trouble to use it too soon after shaving or more frequently.

JohnnyO. :roll:

Water, soap, shave, rinse.

Owt else is a huge faff and bordering on pampering and that is a word no man should ever utter.

Ever.

I man. Strong! Like BULL!

I do use face scrubs, about twice a week and not more often (if I remember or have the time to do it, of course)

The best I've used so far is the Aramis Lab Series 'Multi-Action Face Wash', lathers very well and is adequately scrubby for me (although I don't particularly like this brand). I have some very nice soaps that do this deal as well but haven't got to try them yet.

Generally speaking, I believe that a number of other, non-shave related, products are essential for maintaining a good well-being. Our skin (face, body, hands, feet) needs exfoliation, moisturizing, and toning at appropriate intervals and depending on climatic conditions and one's skin characteristics.

N_Architect said:
Generally speaking, I believe that a number of other, non-shave related, products are essential for maintaining a good well-being. Our skin (face, body, hands, feet) needs exfoliation, moisturizing, and toning at appropriate intervals and depending on climatic conditions and one's skin characteristics.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You crack me up.

joe mcclaine said:
N_Architect said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You crack me up.

I actually agree with this, particularly when it comes to looking after your feet.

My feet normally look knackered, but I did go through a phase where I spent some extra time using L'Occitaine foot scrub and cream and it did wonders for the skin on my feet.

Ding ding!

That's it.

My stop I think.

I'll just grab my hat and coat, no . . . that's not my handbag.

Have good 'un.

Back
Top Bottom