Pls help me choose a vintage gillette

I'd like a vintage tto gillette as a regular shaver but I have no idea weather to get a super speed, rocket, aristocrat, fatboy etc.

I have the unfortunate combination of iron filings for stubble and sensitive skin. Suggestions would be most welcome.

I may even be open to offers but want to look into things first.

What Mick says. Or a Rocket which is the home grown version of the same thing, and generally regarded as a bit nicer.

Assuming that you like it, and there's no reason to assume that you won't, chances are you'll treat yourself to one of the adjustable models. After that, one of the older open combs is well worth a try, but it's the fixed head razors from the 40s and 50s which are the real benchmark classics.

There's a faint chance that some benighted souls may disagree, mind you. ;)

I've got an Edwin Jagger three piece that I like a lot. However I'm a sucker for things that are well engineered and just love the look of that vintage Gillette tto mechanism. It has occured to me the gillettes may be over-hyped. However I'm hoping they're the same sort of build quality you get with vintage tools. There's a reason many workshops still use 50, 100, 150 year old tools: one seldom finds such tigh tolerances these days.

Anyway I'm rambling...

I'm the sort of person that loves well (or over-) engineered solutions to life's little challenges.

i had a superspeed... couldnt quite get on with it as well as i'd hoped.

i love my tech though... i have a late 40's UK tech, and its one of the best shavers I have.

I also suffer from very dark and stiff stubble, but sensitive and fair skin. The tech is the mildest razor ive used, and yet cuts through anything. Works well with a superthin in it.

For me it is my Gillette fatboy that I love to use. The Superspeed would be a great introduction and they are plentiful when you know where to look.

Also with an adjustable you can't help it but you could slip into the habbit of keep changing the setting and not getting a satisfying shave.

Go for the superspeed would be my advice.

Hiya,

Well, there's a bunch of razors being mentioned here, and you can probably figure out they each have their own charm. Heh, that's not even including the Slim and Aristorat types...also real crowd pleasers. I could tell you which razors work best for me, but that won't guarantee they'll perform the same for you.

So, just pick one that sorta calls to you........it's gonna be a crapshoot no matter what you decide on. Only thing I'd suggest would be to hold off trying an open comb type until your technique is well along. Other than that, you gotta start somewhere and so the vintage Gillette DE journey begins.

Hope that helps,

Martin

(threadjack ahoy!) I really like my vintage-ish slim-twist - TTO and mild. What I want is something like that but metal-handled. Suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom