Pinuad Clubman

You either like it or you don't. Some guys describe the scent as "old man". That being said it's one of my favorites and reminds me of the ole barber shop where my mom sent me for a 50 cent haircut. The barber (Mr Shay) used to let me pick one of the (many) colored bottles of lotion lined up against the back wall mirror, and he'd slap some on my neck at the end of the haircut. Clubman reminds me of that event every time I use it. A better time.

I don't see how anyone can say brut smells anywhere near the clubman.

Sure both don't react well with being stored in a trunk in summer or in winter. Both "bloom" in strength a short time after application.

But that's where the similarities end.

Like Bezoar, I can't get any scent similarities really, however my nasal discrimination ends at ' I know what I like ', so there may yet be hidden nuances for me to discover in them, just not in this life.

JohnnyO. o/

I have the Clubman and the Special reserve. I prefer the old leather cent of the special reserve but I still really like the Clubman too. They remind me of the sort of scents that a barber should slap on following a good straight shave.
Old fashioned manly scents. My missus likes both too which is a bonus.

depending on what version of brut you get, it can be scented with urine or bad vanilla.
Clubman was just a big hit of generic "geranium" and rotting plants.

Gents, please.. Brut is Brut, Clubman is Clubman and they are both inexpensive, if anyone really interested in any of them just buy it and decide on your own. Whether you may like it or not it is your own affair, you may find it similar to another cologne or not.
This discussion is pointless, like the other discussion on the soaps forum about MWF, you may like it or not. You like it, whether you can lather or not then good, you can't get a good lather then bin it or pif it or chuck it and move on.

Last edited:
I'm not pointing anyone but, in my opinion 'trying to convince' part is the boring part and the thread becomes pointless and becomes something like a 7 year old children's discussion like my dad is stronger then your dad...
you may not like or like MWF, you may like or hate the smell of Arko or Tabac, you may think Tallow soap is the best..
We ask other peoples ideas according to their experiences before purchasing the product, there may be better alternatives or not. Someone may like it or hate it for some reason and that's it. No point trying to convince or persuade other peoples opinions as if you are defending yourself in the court and infront of the jury

Best thing I ever did for my Pinaud atershaves was to decant into a glass bottle. For some reason the plastic ones give off a bit of a funky aroma sometimes, especially after the level drops.

Massive fan of the original and The Veg. Currently got a bottle of Special Reserve that the jury is still out. Tried the Musk previously as well.

The Veg is probably the most polarising scent around but I love it. Both it and the original get used quite a bit in my rotation.

YMMV of course.

I do agree that plastic bottles, and glass as well seem to have a scent change as the product is used up. Its somewhat like putting your brandy into a champaigne flute versus a beer stein. the flute will keep the vapors concentrated, and the beer stein well, lets it all out fast.

The only knock I have against Clubman and many of the other Pinaud scents is that the common advice is that you have to use it let it air for several minutes before it is pleasant. That's not a great product endorsement. :)

IMO, you shouldn't have to try that hard. I've tried most of them (Pinaud) and the only one that I made a repeat purchase of was the Bay Rum. I'm not a big aftershave user however.

Back
Top Bottom