Personality online and offline

I was thinking last night whether my real life characteristics show themselves in my posts online.
I tend not to respond to new people turning up on the site introducing themselves and in real life I'm like that. I always leave others in church speak to the new people and will only get to know them later. Probably a mixture of shyness and can't be bothered. (Just being honest).
In real life I will tell people about things in my life (eg my DIY disasters) regardless of whether or not they are interested. Same online.
I always try to be polite and try not to cause offence.
I tend to be fairly quiet in real life and online I don't produce many posts.
I tend to get on with everyone and as a rule most people seem to like me, however I only have a very small number of close friends. Maybe thats the same online, I'm not sure.
How about everyone else?
I can see this thread getting out of hand. :twisted:

In real life I'm straight but online I'm gay. No idea why.

Edit: Just realised this could be construed as a slight against Kristian. Still trying not to use smilies but if I could I'd use the embarrassed one. I was in fact trying to be humorous! It's quite funny isn't it?

Getting slightly more serious, I think everyone adapts their personality (or shows particular traits) depending on the circumstances they are in. I don't go to the pub, but I think I am in a slightly laddish pub-going mode when I'm on here. I can be serious but usually choose not to be. Just as above I can go a bit far and then worry I've offended someone, but usually I haven't. I also try to be helpful where I can.

Painfully shy in person.

Very sarcastic with people I am comfortable with.

Have been told (more than once) that I'm totally unapproachable.

Very 'blokey' and do not listen to a single word any woman at work or at home says as I find them rather daft and trivial. I certainly don't have a feminine side.

I'm not coming across very well here, am I?

Ah well, there you go.

When I'm with new poeple, I spend most of the time weighing them up, so I tend to be a bit quiet. I 'm a bit of a suspicious bastard. Once I grow comfortable with them, I unleash the beast that is the inner IanM.

I would hope that my online persona and my actual personality are similar, but I'll leave that for others to decide if that's the case.

There have been rumours of a TSR 'Get Together', but I think that the stories of stroking each other's faces have put that idea firmly on the back burner.

Ian

Well I'm a gobshite on and off the forum. :lol:

Am I like my online persona? You decide!

In real life I'm a fairly confident person, reasonably PC but with a smutty boyish sense of humour and an appreciation for double entendres. I am the kind of person who can stand up in front of a crowd of people that I don't know and talk off the cuff, if ever I unintentionally upset or offend someone I am quick to apologise but unlikely to worry unduly about it afterwards. Where I feel morally justified I can be unpleasant and take enjoyment from doing so and I'm not afraid to express my opinions.

IanM said:
There have been rumours of a TSR 'Get Together', but I think that the stories of stroking each other's faces have put that idea firmly on the back burner.Ian

If it was just faces then I'd be happy to attend a 'get together', but if you could see some of the PM's I've received recently you'd be scared shitless about meeting some of the wierdos that frequent TSR. Urban Hermit alone has contacted me on several occasions trying to obtain photos and various 'samples' as he calls them.

antdad said:
I think you have a feminine side Vinny, it's very attractive.

:lol:

You f**ker Tony, I burst out laughing when I read this and now everyone in the office knows I'm skivving on the internet! :oops: :lol:

Pig Cat said:
IanM said:
There have been rumours of a TSR 'Get Together', but I think that the stories of stroking each other's faces have put that idea firmly on the back burner.Ian

If it was just faces then I'd be happy to attend a 'get together', but if you could see some of the PM's I've received recently you'd be scared shitless about meeting some of the wierdos that frequent TSR. Urban Hermit alone has contacted me on several occasions trying to obtain photos and various 'samples' as he calls them.

Ballix - caught on again! LMFAO :lol:

With me it's wysiwyg im quiet, quite self assured i don't take kindly to being pandered nor patronised, hence my being quiet. I know laddish folk extract a bit of urine and see it as a bit of banter, but im the polar opposite and can quite easily snap and take it the wrong way.

Im much better at dealing with it nowadays, im a bit aloof and can come across a bit superior though that is never my intent, im just a shy quiet lad who likes getting on with things and doesn't deal with 'emotions' if you don't like me than fair enough, im not going to lose sleep over it. ;)

So ahem yeah no difference here. :mrgreen:

But im very open minded and down to earth.

Yeah, I truly am the boring old fart who witters on endlessly about not very much. On the other hand I'm fairly harmless & wouldn't do anyone a bad turn.

JohnnyO. :geek:

changing as i get older into someone who's more laid back :cool:

but i make my mind up about someone after about 5 seconds and if i decide they're an arse i will never change my opinion, the wife says that's a fault :?

don't suffer fools, and i'm always right :lol:

i choose my company carefully ;) so i have a select few of close mates
you know, the ones you'd phone if you needed to dispose of a body

like Ian i'll hang back and suss them out first, keep your cards close to your chest

but saying that i think i can mix well in most company, but like being on my own as well

as you haven't heard from me on TSR a lot lately you won't be able to tell if this is the REAL me or the online me :oops:

and Vinny is right - women are just snakes with tits

Haven’t really given it much thought really, but now that you’ve mentioned it.

Having been diagnosed a few years ago with Dissociative identity disorder, I’m very aware that I have to keep going back over my previous posts to confirm that I agree with what I have said.

Especially when posting in the Shave of the day & the Weekly acquisitions thread with regards to my obsessive compulsive disorder, linked with my Dissociative identity disorder which then impacts with my only too recently diagnosed Pseudologia Fantastica syndrome.

Now adding all of these problems up and stack them on top of my bouts of sever Agoraphobia, leads me to use this forum as a fleeting escape to a safe place, sometimes safer than when I’m under the stairs, with the light off, breathing very quietly.

That’s until Pig Cat gets on a roll, which in turn brings on my Algolagnic tendencies that really mess with my head, depending on who i am at the time.

Probably hard to pin down really.

Not that i could use pins as i also suffer with Enetophobia, when i remember. :?

Back
Top Bottom