PC/Mac recommendation please!!

Ok, so i have as an insurance settlement a voucher for £750 to spend on a machine for me, but it has to be from pcworld or currys :lol:

I use linux at the moment (or did) on my old machine. Download, browse etc.

I can pick up an acer i have seen for about £750, which is as follows:

i5 processor
4GB Ram
500GB Hard drive

Or can put more in to get a macbook for 899 with:

core 2 duo 8600
4GB Ram
250GB Hard drive

Or i can put more in and get the same spec pro for £999

The next one up i would have to save for.

What you think?

Dermot O'Logical said:

Get a Mac, yes they cost a bit more, but you can't beat them on build quality and longevity.. my macbook is 4 years old now, and it's still going strong.
The only reason I'm thinking of replacing it is because it's lacking a bit of power to edit HD video.. (amateur cinema)

I'll get a iMac next..

This coming from a guy who's been born and bred on windows since 1.0. (dad is an ex MS exec).

With Mac you'll get all the advantages of Linux (a lot of open source linux software is cross compiled for Mac), with the mainstream stuff you can get for PC.
And on top of that it's a rock solid OS.

Max

Many thanks, and seems to be a landslide!

My only question then is macbook imentioned for 899, or save up?

And why do they have last years processors and graphics cards (p8600 and 9400 geoforce)?

npinn001 said:

I'd be more tempted to get the one at 849 (on apple.com/uk), and maybe whack 4gb of memory in it.
(not from apple), unless you're into video editing/serious gaming etc.. no need for more than that.

Max

Regardless of the pc / mac debate. . .

Contact your insurance company, let them know you were after a very specific machine (you may have to find one) which PCWorld/ Dixon's do not stock.

They are then obliged to change your voucher for a proper cheque which you can bank and spend elsewhere.

BlkKnight said:
Regardless of the pc / mac debate. . .

Contact your insurance company, let them know you were after a very specific machine (you may have to find one) which PCWorld/ Dixon's do not stock.

They are then obliged to change your voucher for a proper cheque which you can bank and spend elsewhere.

Agree, especially since the macbook is 50 quid cheaper on the Apple site.

Max

Cheers.

FB, the macbook i posted for £899 comes with 4GB of ram instead of 2GB so its quite a good deal for Currys!

I will probably get the pro 13 inch me thinks

I'm surprised that DSG Retail (Dixon's Curry's PCW et al) sell anything at a good price. They are usually 20-30% above what can be found on the web.

Check for other corners cut - processor, HD,VGA etc

BlkKnight said:
I'm surprised that DSG Retail (Dixon's Curry's PCW et al) sell anything at a good price. They are usually 20-30% above what can be found on the web.

Check for other corners cut - processor, HD,VGA etc

+1

Very rarely if at all will the above offer any type of laptop at a better deal than purchasing straight from the Brand dealer.

Get a pc to the same spec's as the mac and clear your mortgage with what you save... ;)

npinn001 said:

And why do they have last years processors and graphics cards (p8600 and 9400 geoforce)?

I have a Macbook Pro (the £999.00 one) it's my 3rd Macbook so + 1 for Mac. Just put Applecare on it (get it off ebay £65.00 !!)
Reason for using the processors and graphics cards are because of the size constraints of the 13" Macbook.
If you want the i3/i5 plus separate graphics cards then your up at £1500.00+
The pro is worth the extra money just for the screen and uni body........... :cool: :cool:

Back
Top Bottom