Passaround Ideas

Hi all.
I was thinking of starting a passaround with a few types of different shaving software and hardware. When I was on this forum a few years back before there were quite a few passarounds going for a long time, and I got to try out stuff I might never had been able or willing to otherwise.
But I have a few problems which I wanted your input on:
  1. I remember a package going quiet for a few weeks and it turning out that someone (or a friend they had lent it to off-forum) had just kept it. Maybe the passaround could be limited to people who either had a high number of posts/reactions on here or had been signed up for X amount of time. But that leads to the second potential problem...
  2. If the passaround is limited to established members they will probably have tried most or all of the stuff included. It might not be worth their while to participate, particularly as I would encourage each participant to add a small amount of their own software (or hardware). Arguably people new to this malarkey would be most likely to benefit from trying to the classics we know and love but would be ruled out.
  3. Would it be best to limit it to just one country to save on postage fees and potential taxes and tariffs? There are a lot of UK members on here (probably a majority) but it's a shame members across the world might not be able to participate, particularly as they may be able to easily and cheaply contribute a wider range of interesting stuff
What do you think?

We did actually have a newbie box that got so big it became 2 separate passarounds as people were generous and added more stuff. However I have no idea what became of either of these.

It's a tricky one if people start lending forum passarounds beyond the forum. I guess the member will be liable but the whole thing is based on trust and trying to ask for a deposit would probably kill it in its tracks.

Shame in a way, because I definitely benefitted from borrowing Martin's Fatboy, I bought my Slim because I liked the FB, which I probably wouldn't have if I had not had that chance.

I remember, and benefited from , these in the past. I wouldn’t think that sharing “off forum” should even be considered.

I think it would be a great gesture to get one going. Even seasoned shavers like to try new stuff just for fun. I know do...

We did actually have a newbie box that got so big it became 2 separate passarounds as people were generous and added more stuff. However I have no idea what became of either of these.

It's a tricky one if people start lending forum passarounds beyond the forum. I guess the member will be liable but the whole thing is based on trust and trying to ask for a deposit would probably kill it in its tracks.

Shame in a way, because I definitely benefitted from borrowing Martin's Fatboy, I bought my Slim because I liked the FB, which I probably wouldn't have if I had not had that chance.
So big the postage was over a tenner when I had it :oops: If someone's buggered off with the newbie boxes that's a shame. If I recall some members went to a lot of effort to restock and upgrade them a while ago :mad:

Last edited:
So big the postage was over a tenner when I had it :oops: If someone's buggered off with the newbie boxes that's a shame. If I recall some members went to a lot of effort to restock and upgrade them a while ago :mad:
Yeah that would be crap if someone made off with the newbie boxes. They were impressive looking and a great idea.
I never used them as i had enough soap and stuff but i sent a few soaps in to stock them though.
The passaround was quite active for a while but it seems to have just disappeared now. Shame.

Thanks everyone.

It would be good to know if the passaround mentioned by Tony'schin is still active; I may even get myself on the list if so.

I'll take @dodgy up on his offer of the blades. Thanks! It may take a few weeks for the blades to arrive from the States so how about I include a few blades from your recent parcel to me in the passaround and then whatever you send on I will keep for myself?

Since my shaving inventory is compiled and up-to-date with my latest additions I will have a look through to see what I can bear to part with. To manage people's expectations it's likely to be a low value razor, one or two soap samples and a selection of unusual modern and vintage blades. I'm not sure it's really worth including easy to get blades like Astras, 7 o'clock or Feathers. I'll include a couple of the Neepsend blades for sure, and maybe a few English Wilkies if you're lucky

I don't think a deposit scheme would be practicable. Let's keep it friendly and above all easy to manage. I will ask people from the UK to get their names on a list and draw one at random in a few days.
Once I've sent it on to the first person it's up to them how, when and to whom they send it on to, but try to contribute at least one thing before moving it on and don't take the piss!

We could upload a photo every time to package is sent on, so people can see how the contents are evolving over time and to drum up interest, but ultimately that's up to each recipient.

More details to follow soon, and welcoming input in the meantime.

Thanks everyone.

It would be good to know if the passaround mentioned by Tony'schin is still active; I may even get myself on the list if so.

I'll take @dodgy up on his offer of the blades. Thanks! It may take a few weeks for the blades to arrive from the States so how about I include a few blades from your recent parcel to me in the passaround and then whatever you send on I will keep for myself?

Since my shaving inventory is compiled and up-to-date with my latest additions I will have a look through to see what I can bear to part with. To manage people's expectations it's likely to be a low value razor, one or two soap samples and a selection of unusual modern and vintage blades. I'm not sure it's really worth including easy to get blades like Astras, 7 o'clock or Feathers. I'll include a couple of the Neepsend blades for sure, and maybe a few English Wilkies if you're lucky

I don't think a deposit scheme would be practicable. Let's keep it friendly and above all easy to manage. I will ask people from the UK to get their names on a list and draw one at random in a few days.
Once I've sent it on to the first person it's up to them how, when and to whom they send it on to, but try to contribute at least one thing before moving it on and don't take the piss!

We could upload a photo every time to package is sent on, so people can see how the contents are evolving over time and to drum up interest, but ultimately that's up to each recipient.

More details to follow soon, and welcoming input in the meantime.
I think it would be a good idea to have an inventory of what is in the box and this gets confirmed by the next person receiving the box.
I donated soaps, blades and a Schick injector razor to go into the box and at some point the razor and injector blades went missing!, If an inventory had been in place then maybe the razor would not have gone missing! Just an idea.

Paul.

I think it would be a good idea to have an inventory of what is in the box and this gets confirmed by the next person receiving the box.
I donated soaps, blades and a Schick injector razor to go into the box and at some point the razor and injector blades went missing!, If an inventory had been in place then maybe the razor would not have gone missing! Just an idea.

Paul.
Yes, I think a list or a photo would be a good idea.

I will certainly do a photo before I send the package out.

Maybe I'll put my name down at a later date and in six months' time I'll get to try a few new things from it and get some of my stuff back

Hiya,

Here's a pic of some things to be included in the traveling box. There's a G type injector for an 'effective' shave....it's too much for me tho. One pack vintage and one pack current Chick injector blades.The DE 5 packs are USA made Personnas which I quite like. Gem blades are from who knows when, but NOS in any case.

Attachments

• 20230119_095047.jpg
    20230119_095047.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 25
Just a little update on this.
I've put together a few things which will go out but haven't finished yet (not least because I keep buying more stuff!).
@dodgy's blades are due to land imminently!
It will be going to my girlfriend's house so there may be a delay in me picking it up from there, adding my contributions, uploading a list and some photos, and getting it posted!
Hopefully it'll go out in a week or so from this date.

I'll be sending the parcel out to @ekeko because of his exceptional generosity.

Do people want to put their names down now or wait till they know what's in the parcel? Either way is good for me. Once it's gone to ekeko it's of no concern of mine who it goes to; I may never see it again anyway (sob, sob).

1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
4.@ekeko

[NOTE: post updated to reflect ekeko's lack of availability during February]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom