Pass Around: Merkur Slant (enchanted)

OK, so I've been using the slant for the whole of this week. On Monday, I popped in a nice fresh Gillette Yellow and the razor cut effortlessly through three days growth and gave me a lovely smooth shave. Tuesday, I had another great shave..

On Wednesday however, I had a fairly rough shave. So, on Thursday, I popped in a fresh Astra platinum, but didn't get a great shave from that either. Same again today. My technique seems to have degraded :/

Anyway, in the meantime I managed to pick up a slant at a decent price and as I know it's possible to have a great shave with one, I'll persevere for a while with my own.

As such, this pass around has been cleaned and barbicided and is ready for Duffers, who has been pm'd for his address. I'll have a look at what blades I've got to spare and pop some in with it.

Once again, thanks for the loan of the razor Dodgy, much appreciated!

Hax said:
OK, so I've been using the slant for the whole of this week.

Anyway, in the meantime I managed to pick up a slant at a decent price and as I know it's possible to have a great shave with one, I'll persevere for a while with my own.

As such, this pass around has been cleaned and barbicided and is ready for Duffers, who has been pm'd for his address. I'll have a look at what blades I've got to spare and pop some in with it.

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your post........updating the list now. Heh, one less monkey for you to deal with.

Martin

Exactly what I found. I don't think it's your technique. The slant seems to like only fresh, sharp blades. Even with a feather, the shave got rough after 3 shaves.

Hax said:
OK, so I've been using the slant for the whole of this week. On Monday, I popped in a nice fresh Gillette Yellow and the razor cut effortlessly through three days growth and gave me a lovely smooth shave. Tuesday, I had another great shave..

On Wednesday however, I had a fairly rough shave. So, on Thursday, I popped in a fresh Astra platinum, but didn't get a great shave from that either. Same again today. My technique seems to have degraded :/

Received the Slant with thanks.

I had a good three days growth(do I get my TSR epaulettes torn off for this?) so I lathered up with Ingrams,
popped in an Astra SP supplied by Hax and put razor to face.

For such a diminutive razor it easily mowed down the growth. It gave a really good shave,
I'm impressed. Will report further...

The second shave didn't feel as smooth, with some redness. I agree, it's really sensitive to blades/prep.

I think it's the sort of razor for that special occasion, then stick a fresh blade in it.

I have asked for Helveticum's details to pass-on.

Thanks for the loan dodgy.

Owen

Hi gents,

first of all - Martin, again thanks a lot for this pass around! I participated in a similar B&B incentive and at the time found a slant to be too aggressive for me. But now thinking back I blame not only technique (that has most certainly improved since) but blades - I was a fan of Feathers back then for some strange reason, and prep - now I'm exclusively cold shaving and it had a significant positive effect on my shaves.
So back to the subject - just returned from the bathroom, having shaved off a week-old stubble (don't ask..). Gosh was that efficient! Could've easily gone to work after the first pass - well, maybe after a couple of touch ups on the chin. Blade just glided through the whiskers, and surprisingly even easier than my NEW, which I thought was an ultimate weapon of a mass stubble destruction. Almost no irritation this time (well, should've been more careful with the neck, but also nothing visible), all nice and smooth! Must only add that the razor was loaded with my favourite Sputniks, if someone's interested.

So, long story short - this is the second time I'm gonna have to start looking for a new razor after Martin's endorsement :)

Hiya,

Been an interesting read, and it seems like most peope enjoy the slant. Thanks to the members who posted their thoughts on this 'gotta try at least once' razor.

Martin

Hi Martin,

I'm the bastard holding the razor. Just can't make it to the post office on time, super busy week :( Will have it shipped in the next couple of days for sure though, one way or another.

Helveticum said:
Hi Martin,

I'm the bastard holding the razor. Just can't make it to the post office on time, super busy week :( Will have it shipped in the next couple of days for sure though, one way or another.

Hey what's doin, contrite bastard,

Thanks for the update...I was afraid it mighta taken someone over, Yeah, I'm fairly sure that razor's enchanted.

Martin

This razor is amazing!!!!! Silky smooth with a Derby (I was slighty afraid of it) and no irritation at all. Not totally BBS but then it should come with practise. Now the problem is my razor storage is full and I need to get one!

Back
Top Bottom