Closed Pass around flair tip

fly3k said:
Thanks John & Flip details PM'd cant wait. I got out bid on a flare tip on ebay last night with about 20 seconds to go. At least I can see if its one for me before any other bids on ebay.

I hear that, enjoy the razors :)

arrived today thanks flip. any tips for settings on the slim, I havent used an adjustable before. Been using a 39c slant, how does that compare on the aggression scale against the slims settings?

Hi I'd start on no3 and go from there . I think if memory serves me I use them on about 4-5 with a feather blade, but I did start on no3 just to be on the safe side:icon_smile:

fly3k said:
arrived today thanks flip. any tips for settings on the slim, I havent used an adjustable before. Been using a 39c slant, how does that compare on the aggression scale against the slims settings?

Hiya,

Maybe start with the adjustable set on 3-4 as John suggests. I'm guessing the slant would be kinda similar to the #6 setting in your slant.

Make sure to give the TTO an extra 1/4 turn to lock the blade in place. Also, take a look to make sure both sides have an even blade gap.

dodgy said:
fly3k said:

Hiya,

Maybe start with the adjustable set on 3-4 as John suggests. I'm guessing the slant would be kinda similar to the #6 setting in your slant.

Make sure to give the TTO an extra 1/4 turn to lock the blade in place. Also, take a look to make sure both sides have an even blade gap.

I'd say that you are right,the slim would be around no6 with a similar vibe to a slant would be interesting to see how it compares to fly3k slant bar shaves, martins made a good point about the 1/4 turn, but you should unlock and give some slack before you adjust the numbers and then re lock with the 1/4 turn;-)

ok will give it a try on 3 or 4 first then maybe up a few notches. I thought I had read about setting it differently for different passes. Also noted dont change the numbers whilst it is locked down. Will report back about the slim vs slant shaves.

fly3k said:
ok will give it a try on 3 or 4 first then maybe up a few notches. I thought I had read about setting it differently for different passes. Also noted dont change the numbers whilst it is locked down. Will report back about the slim vs slant shaves.

Looking forward to it,have fun.

dodgy said:
fly3k said:

Hiya,

Oh no not another razor I have to make sure the blade is in straight! Thats the only problem with my slant, I get OCD on having the blade in straight and even!

fly3k said:
dodgy said:
fly3k said:

Hiya,

Oh no not another razor I have to make sure the blade is in straight! Thats the only problem with my slant, I get OCD on having the blade in straight and even!

I can't speak for Martin (Dodgy), but, as an owner of a Slim and a Slant, the Slim is nothing like as variable. I think Martin's advice was to give a cursory check the first time you use it, as, being vintage, it's been around longer and there's therefore a higher chance of it having been dropped or otherwise misshapen.

thanks for the comments on the slim settings will try at 3 first but am more tempted towards 5!

so onto the first razor I tried the flare tip. seemed very strange in the weight difference to the slant but wasnt as mild as I was expecting. overall the shave wasnt far off what I get with the slant dfs. obviously one the first try technique wasnt the best and did even get a bit of stinging with the aftershave but overall a very nice razor. the slim will get an outing tomorrow night.

Apologies for the delay in telling you about the Slim I went away at the weekend as it was my birthday, and have had a bug since so today's the first day I have felt human!

The Slim is a fantastic razor I set it on 5 for all three passes and felt that it gave me the best shave I have ever had. I had used it on 3 days worth of stubble which normally gives a smooth shave so will be able to confirm once I try it out again tonight.

Back
Top Bottom