Active Pass Around: Fatboy

Yeah.. Was me as you can see from me writing the shave room vs the shaving room.. Opps..
Get away with it... :rolleyes:
Really wanted black topped foam but I don't have any at the moment.
I'm going to start a thread on boxes and foam inserts if there isn't one already.
Easy to buy cheap or if your good at diy make yourself.
The foam is the magic bit that stores the kit nice. Simple to cut.
Thread to follow..

View attachment 94882

Arrived safely yesterday - as per any shaving related delivery it arrived just after I’d shaved…

Packaged beautifully in a bespoke box. Feels weighty in the hand - looking forward to giving this a run out tomorrow!

Thanks TSR for this lovely opportunity!
Cool.
I think the razor deserves a replate now for more than 11 years of service to TSR... :unsure:

67E6EE64-69F3-4EF9-B44C-91B8A15A5FEE.jpeg

Razor arrived from @Wayners on Thursday but had to wait until today after an unexpectedly busy weekend…

It was worth the wait!

Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented
Razor: TSR Fatboy (5,3,3)
Blade: Wizamet (1)
Brush: UKWSS Alpha Badger
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Standard
Soap: PAA Diver Down
Splash: PAA Diver Down

With nearly 4 days growth I jumped right in at setting 5. Smoothly and efficiently wiped away the stubble, dialled down to 3 for the XTG and ATG pass. Perhaps a little mild at 3. Minimal pickups after 3 passes and no irritation. The fatboy has a great weight and balance and took no time to find the correct angle. A pleasure to shave with.

I chose Diver down as I think it’s meant to be a homage to Seaforth Spice, so one of the more vintage scents in my den.

Planning to go again with the fatboy again in a couple of days, will dial up to 7,5,5…

Thanks TSR for this wonderful opportunity to try a classic razor.

image.jpg

Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented
Razor: TSR Fatboy (7,7,5)
Blade: Wizamet (2)
Brush: UKWSS Alpha Badger
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Standard
Soap: HoM Indigo
Splash: HoM Indigo

Noticeable step up to 7 - knocked off another 4 days of growth with ease. Felt nervous stepping up and not sure I’ll push the fatboy any higher, I usually prefer milder razors! Still smooth and a pleasure to use.

Indigo is a lovely scent, one of the few fruity scents to stay in the den.

Thanks again TSR for the Fatboy - if anyone is interested in having a shot get your name down!

image.jpg

Apologies for the radio silence. This is actually shave number 5 from this lovely razor for me. Decided to be brave and turned it up to 9 on 4 days growth. What a pleasure this razor is. I’m really grateful to TSR for this opportunity.

Razor: TSR Fatboy (9,5,5)
Blade: Wizamet (3)
Soap: B+M 42
Splash: B+M 42

Lovely evening shave, total relaxation. This soap smells like floral sherbert lemons to me (I don’t have the best nose for the more subtle elements)

I needn’t have worried going up to 9. It still felt smooth. 2 passes would have been enough for an excellent shave but the 3rd ATG pass gave a beautiful finish. Incredible to think of how old this razor is but how well it shaves.

I’m moving back to my modern equivalent the Tatara Muramasa and the Fatboy needs another home. Who’s next?

Hiya,

I blame myself for not more recently 'suggesting' this amazing razor to any newer members who don't understand how this thing shaves. To be on the conservative side, I would describe it as magical.

There's still a Fatboy in my rotation because it's fun and works real danged good. Not all of these shave the same so this one's a good starter.

They clean up amazingly well with a good polish like Maas or Simichrome (heh, what I usta use on my bike pipes to make em sparkle). Some mineral oil applied to moving parts and done deal.

So, as a favor to yourselves, see what's missing in your shaving life.

Glad to help, and don't forget the extra 1/4 turn lock,

Martin

Hiya,

I blame myself for not more recently 'suggesting' this amazing razor to any newer members who don't understand how this thing shaves. To be on the conservative side, I would describe it as magical.

There's still a Fatboy in my rotation because it's fun and works real danged good. Not all of these shave the same so this one's a good starter.

They clean up amazingly well with a good polish like Maas or Simichrome (heh, what I usta use on my bike pipes to make em sparkle). Some mineral oil applied to moving parts and done deal.

So, as a favor to yourselves, see what's missing in your shaving life.

Glad to help, and don't forget the extra 1/4 turn lock,

Martin
Very well put! I have it ready to go, I’ve restocked the box with a few goodies too.

Fabulous opportunity to try a classic - made me pick up a slim adjustable which for me is just as great.

Last edited:
I h

Very well put! I have it ready to go, I’ve restocked the box with a few goodies too.

Fabulous opportunity to try a classic - made me pick up a slim adjustable which for me is just as great.
Hiya doin,

First, I'm glad you enjoyed the razor and thanks for including the extra items for the next soon to be amazed member!!

The Slim's an excellent razor in it's own way and there's one in the arsenal that doesn't stay dry all that long. There was a poll many years ago and the Slim bested the Fatboy by a smidge.

Martin

Hiya,

As WC Fields would say: "Don't be a luddy duddy, don't be a jabbernowl, don't be a moon calf!".

Please become a short term Fatboy foster family to the poor thing. At least it won't pee behind the couch like my helper monkey would before finally setting him free. See, nothing to lose by trying.

You so called serious 'enthusiastic hobbyists' need to see what's up with this 64 year old shaving marvel!! Plus, the previous caretaker has included cookies in the package to be mailed.

Martin

I have tried most of the Gillette line of razors and the Fatboy is my go-to and favourite.
It's the only razor I have two of and it's the only one I've had replated.
I prefer the feel of the head design to the later Slim and future silo-doored models, and the width, length, weight and styling of the handle and the adjustment mechanism all just fits together so well.
It is probably a little on the mild side unless you crank it up past no. 7 but to me it's all the better for it.
If you are into double edge razors you are doing yourself a disservice if you never give it a go. It could be the best razor you never tried.

I have tried most of the Gillette line of razors and the Fatboy is my go-to and favourite.
If you are into double edge razors you are doing yourself a disservice if you never give it a go. It could be the best razor you never tried.
That's absolutely correct! Did I mention the razor was owned by Winston Churchill? You guys need to try this razor because of it's provenance if nothing else.

SHHHHEEEEEESSSSHHHHHH
She's still out in thew wild then lol.
I haven't been about for 12 years and returned today (No idea why I stopped hanging out - well thats a lie it was costing me toooooo much money) only to see this thread still active and people still getting to try this great bit of kit :)

Back
Top Bottom