Active Pass Around: Fatboy

Good to see it on the move and a list of people up for trying it. Badger offered to return it to me but I bought my Slim off the back of borrowing this Fatboy and I tried them back to back so we figured best let someone else have a go. Its a great bit of kit and the perfect way to try vintage Gillette adjustables. I am grateful to the forum for giving me the opportunity to have a go with it.

SOTD

Prep, Flannel & Hot Water
Brush, Yaqi
Razor, Fatboy (5 for 3 grain pass)
Blade, Supermax Diamond Edge (1st use)
Soap, PAA Good Vibrations
Post, Zingari Man The Gatherer

I have a slim adjustable and a super adjustable. And usually use a higher setting but thought a 5 would be fine to start with. The soap was thick on application not particularly creamy, but i'll put this down to operator error and not enough water. I was also lathering direct from the soap not a bowl like i normally do.

I had a few issues in getting the angle right. Again, operator error most likely. Had similar with the super adjustable i used yesterday. A comfortable 3 pass shave, no irritation / nicks / cuts / weepers etc. I have to be honest and say it does not feel as clean and close as the super adjustable. That was on 6 throughout.

But i'm going to experiment with the Fatboy and see what happens. Thanks to the owner for the opportunity to have this experience though.

Best,

Evening all.

Pre, Hot water and flannel
Brush, Boti Blue
Razor, Gillette Fatboy (setting 6 for a 3 grain pass)
Blade, Personna (USA, 1st use and the very first time i've tried these blades)
Soap, PAA Terra Preta
Post, PAA Terra Pret
Music, Ellie Goulding

Back to the Fatboy!

The soap lathered up incredibly and was very thick on application. It provided a great surface to work on and i really like the scent, earthy / clay / clean. Definitely one of my most favourite soaps and splashes to date.

A very nice 3 grain pass, zero irritation / weepers / nicks / cuts etc. I'd say this setting works better for me than the previous one on 5. I'll try 7 next and see how i get on with that. But based on today's shave if i was in the market for a Fatboy then i'd be seriously considering one. But will see how i get on as i dial it up. It's always useful to know with an adjustable where you can go and where you can't or probably shouldn't.

Best,

Ben

Afternoon all,

Pre, Hot water and flannel
Brush, Boti Blue
Razor, Gillette Fatboy (setting 7 for a 3 grain pass)
Blade, Personna (USA, 2nd use)
Soap, Zingari Man (The Socialite)
Post, Zingari Man (The Socialite)
Music, Max Richter, Black Mirror Soundtack

The soap lathers well and goes on easily, no issues there. It provided a great surface to work on. The scent and feel may not be to everyones taste, very cold / tingly / lime / mentholesque. Put it this way, your face will know its experienced this for some time!

A very nice 3 grain pass, zero irritation / weepers / nicks / cuts etc. As per a lot of my shaves. Which is fine by me. As i say, i'd maybe not use this soap / splash in the winter months. But ideal for the summer if you want to feel fresh / clean / chilled, literally. I'm still enjoying the Fatboy, will dial up again tomorrow. And also try the Personna for its 3rd and final use.

Best,

Ben

At what point can I be added to list? What's the waiting time to try?
I've only just joined forum plus I need to practice not slicing face off as new to de shaving. Ha.
Just asking for interest.
Happy to wait my turn in time.

W

Morning / Afternoon all.

Pre, warm shower and Magno soap to the face
Brush, Boti Blue
Razor, Gillette Fatboy (setting 8 for a 3 grain pass)
Blade, Gilette Nacet (1st use)
Soap, Stirling Coniferous
Post, Noble Otter (Northern Elixir)
Music, Zach Bryan

The soap lathers well and goes on easily, no issues there. It provided a great surface to work on. The scent is great, pine / fresh / outdoorsy / not too overpowering.

A very nice 3 grain pass, zero irritation / weepers / nicks / cuts etc. As per a lot of my shaves. Which is fine by me. But i think 8 is likely to be my default setting so far. Very smooth and efficient and feels very close and clean.

I paired it with the Northern Elixir due to scent profile and what a great pairing. And feel!

Best,

Ben

Evening all,

Pre, hot water and flannel
Brush, Boti Blue
Razor, Gillette Fatboy (setting 9 for a 3 grain pass)
Blade, Gilette Nacet (2nd use)
Soap, TDS Menthol
Post, TDS Sea Breath
Music, Zach Bryan

The soap lathers easily, nice application, no issues there. It provided a great surface to work on. The scent is menthol, clean and fresh not too overpowering.

A very nice 3 grain pass, zero irritation / weepers / nicks / cuts etc. As per a lot of my shaves. Which is fine by me. I don't often dial up all the way on my Slim or Super Adjustable. But had no issues here. I did take my time and was aware of it being on 9. But i'd be comfortable doing it again. Very smooth and efficient and feels very close and clean.

I paired it with the TDS Breath. Scent is a little like Iodine, best way to explain it. I thought i had the matching scent but can't see it, so maybe i'm going mad.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the Fatboy. Now would i get one, a difficult one. Does it give me anything different to the Slim / Super Adjustable. I don't think so. If i saw one at a good price, yes i'd be tempted, but will cross that bridge when i come to it. If i didn't have the Slim / Super Adjustable then absolutely!

Best,

Ben

@hdb3326 Many thanks for the lovely run of reviews. I’m going to have to postpone my go with the fatboy as we’re imminently expecting a new addition to the family. I want to give the fatboy a good shot and doing that when sleep deprived may not be fair on the fatboy (or my face… )

Over to you @Wayners hope you enjoy it!

And good luck with the new arrival

Back
Top Bottom