Palmolive soap stick - how best to use it.

I used to use the stick - smearing it across my chops & face lathering with the small, stiff Commodore X1. It really worked best with that and not the bigger, softer Kent BK4 I have.

Then I grated a few sticks into a glass ramekin and just started using that to lather up into a bowl.

There's still something very special about the smell of Palmolive to me, and I think I've figured out what it is. When I was small and stayed the odd night with my grandparents, my Grandad used to lather up with Palmolive (from a can) and shave over the kitchen sink. The smell has lodged in my brain as a happy, childhood memory. He's still going at 96, though being pretty much blind these days he uses an electric shaver (after mixing up his deodorant & shaving foam and foaming up his armpits).

I'm surprised there are people who "don't get on" with rubbing a shave stick directly on the face. It's convenient, and how can it _not_ work? I know YMMV and all that, but the stubble on your face guarantees a good spread of soap, and a decent wet brush will make a meal of it.

However, some people in this thread have sworn by the "grind it into a bowl" technique, and I have to say I'm tempted to give it a go...

Back
Top Bottom