OS

missingskin said:
Damian Murphy said:
I have snow leopard for 2 weeks now running on a netbook a wind u100 clone from Pc World , have'nt used the snowy very much yet.
Seems pretty decent in comparison to windows 7 and better than xp .
I'm hoping to do some iphone development on it at a later stage.
Have'nt even seen android yet , just bought a iphone last weekend (for development purposes :) )

Got a HTC Desire arriving on saturday, think I have found a program called "missing sync", but it's not cheap so on the lookout for a cheaper one.. :shock:

I definitely want to see some pics when it arrives !!!

Damian Murphy said:
missingskin said:
Damian Murphy said:
I have snow leopard for 2 weeks now running on a netbook a wind u100 clone from Pc World , have'nt used the snowy very much yet.
Have'nt even seen android yet , just bought a iphone last weekend (for development purposes :) )

Got a HTC Desire arriving on saturday, think I have found a program called "missing sync", but it's not cheap so on the lookout for a cheaper one.. :shock:

Just got a call from TMobile it now arrives on Thursday........ :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Damian Murphy said:

Damian, I'm a bit dim. Let me get this straight: you are running the latest Mac OS on a cheapie netbook?

Is that right? Can anyone do this or just you techie Celtic tigers? (Basically, could I get one for my wife?)

Rev-O said:
Damian Murphy said:

Damian, I'm a bit dim. Let me get this straight: you are running the latest Mac OS on a cheapie netbook?

Is that right? Can anyone do this or just you techie Celtic tigers? (Basically, could I get one for my wife?)

You can run windows on a macbook so don't see why OSX won't run on the wind u100 would probably have to run 3rd party software as well.............i.e. bootcamp for mac??
If you google the question there comes up loads of video tutorials........ ;) ;)
Remember macs use intel processors now same as a PC.

Rev-O said:
Damian Murphy said:

Anyone can do it , though there may be some legal issues , apparently there needs to be an official 'apple' sticker on the computer (not joking).

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.insanelywind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1801" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.insanelywind.com/forum/viewt ... =42&t=1801</a><!-- m --> . It was really easy to install . You have to burn a dvd of the snowywind osx distro. No other software needed.If you want to get fancy you can dual or even treble boot ...

I do advocate buying a licensed copy of the software , even though its not needed.
A really cheap way to get your hands on a 'hackintosh' and the wind is a great little machine.
Rev-O Let me know if I can offer any assistance.

Thanks DM. I'm very interested in that. I run a MacBook with Leopard and the Mrs has a Mini with Tiger. She works all over the place and could do with a portable but she has a morbid (and post Win-7 probably unfounded) fear of any other (non-Mac) OS. She knows Mac OSX and is very keen to stick with it.

Am I right in thinking that because PC's and Macs are now both Linux based and use Intel chips that OS software is transferable between them in a way that it never was 5 or 10 years ago?

Anyway, I'll have a chat to her. How much was the netbook? Does running Snowy invalidate its warranty?

Thanks.

I emailed this to my brother, who's just bought a netbook. He said:

"If I'd had more money to spend, I would have bought an "msi wind". Msi make all the components for mac, so essentially it is a mini mac book, running windows. You un-install windows and load up mac os and bang, you've got a mac netbook."

Thoughts, comments?

Damian Murphy said:
Rev-O said:
Damian Murphy said:

Anyone can do it , though there may be some legal issues , apparently there needs to be an official 'apple' sticker on the computer (not joking).

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.insanelywind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1801" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.insanelywind.com/forum/viewt ... =42&t=1801</a><!-- m --> . It was really easy to install . You have to burn a dvd of the snowywind osx distro. No other software needed.If you want to get fancy you can dual or even treble boot ...

I do advocate buying a licensed copy of the software , even though its not needed.
A really cheap way to get your hands on a 'hackintosh' and the wind is a great little machine.
Rev-O Let me know if I can offer any assistance.
I think I have a couple of Apple stickers that came with my macbook........... ;) ;) ............you could stick one of those on??
The reviews on the Wind note books are coming out good, the moan people have is battery life..............they should try my Dell it chews the battery in about 30 mins on a good day.............. :evil: :evil:

PC'c and Macs are both 'Intel' based . So they can handle Linux ,I can't actually remember seeing an apple running linux though .
The Wind hardware wise has a lot of the same stuff that apple are using in their laptops .The battery life is'nt great on the basic models (but not too horrendous) but you can get a bigger battery that extends the life out to 6+ hours ,I bought it off Aldi's german website. It might be worth noting that Aldi have an akoya netbook which is a wind u100 clone and is obviously cheap .The clones have differing specs, 1 or 2 gigs of ram , hard disk size varies , and the wireless card.You can also easily replace this stuff cheaply using the bay.
The wind u100 is just the right side of usable keyboard and screen wise , its fast enough for most people to use .
I can fit mine into the inside pocket of a fleece jacket or the pocket of a pair of combat trousers. Apple do actually include Apple stickers in the ipod/iphone packaging , now there is actually a use for it.

Sounds like I'm trying to sell these does'nt it.

Rev-O said:
I emailed this to my brother, who's just bought a netbook. He said:

"If I'd had more money to spend, I would have bought an "msi wind". Msi make all the components for mac, so essentially it is a mini mac book, running windows. You un-install windows and load up mac os and bang, you've got a mac netbook."

Thoughts, comments?

I have a mac OS running on an IBM thinkpad T40 so yes it can be done.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page</a><!-- m -->

hunnymonster said:
They ought to try my Samsung - about 5½ hours of HDMI output :D

Unfortunately the Dell is my work computer and I have no choice in what I get and they are as tight as a nun chuff, so they won't buy me a new one.......... :lol:

Damian Murphy said:
missingskin said:
Damian Murphy said:

Well it arrived this morning, I have spent about 4 hours setting up and playing with the phone, nice interface. Put a lock code in it and then forgot it :lol: ..so had to start again. Will post some pics when I can and give you a progress report as I use it more. Have to say the apps and internet are a lot faster than the iphone I had........... :twisted: :twisted: .
New toy = very happy man... :lol: :lol:

Found a free sync program for macs called Double Twist.............works well imported all my contacts and all my itunes inc playlists.

missingskin said:
Well it arrived this morning, I have spent about 4 hours setting up and playing with the phone, nice interface. Put a lock code in it and then forgot it :lol: ..so had to start again. Will post some pics when I can and give you a progress report as I use it more. Have to say the apps and internet are a lot faster than the iphone I had........... :twisted: :twisted: .
New toy = very happy man... :lol: :lol:

Found a free sync program for macs called Double Twist.............works well imported all my contacts and all my itunes inc playlists.

Nice!!

Back
Top Bottom