OS

Has anyone changed from XP to 7? If so what are your thoughts. I bought a laptop just after Vista came out and I absolutely bloody hated that (Vista that is), sold the laptop on for half of what I paid for it. When I have enough dosh to spare I'm going to get a mac next.

I use 7,I find it fast and reliable.I also hate vista.
I also use mac osx xp and a couple of different flavours
of Linux.windows 7 compares well to all of these.

I've switched all 3 of the XP PCs here over to Windows 7 (not cheap), having previously switched the one Vista PC back to XP.

Windows 7 has not crashed once so far here - and it was first installed as release candidate. It gets thrashed to death on my netbook (lots of progs installed, played with, removed). The only pain was my NAS which refused to accept an NTLMv2 authentication - took a while to force Windows 7 to try NTLMv1 as well as NTLMv2 (it's a registry setting, takes 10 seconds to apply it turns out). The biggest win is hibernation - it works properly (never did with any Windows up to XP for me) so shutdown is 10 seconds max, and on startup the longest wait is for the discs to spin up...

I use it for totally different things - but compared to Vista - poking yourself in the eye with a sharp stick is preferable...

All the applications I want to use work 99% perfectly (nothing is perfect) - they're all updated regularly and the update packages are generally small (they're mostly sent out as just the differences rather than a whole package again), quick to apply and rarely is a reboot forced.

Wireless can be a bit flaky if you move between SSIDs a lot, but it's not hard. Most support is only a google away and I've only once found an issue that wasn't solvable by following a walkthrough (you had to go find the walkthrough for the individual parts)

I had some minor problems with Ubuntu, so I'm using Mint which is another Debian / Ubuntu derivative which seems happier with my graphics set up. I've had precious few glitches with any applications and the system as a whole is solid and dependable.

I'm currently on the lookout for a lightweight distribution for my wife's netbook, preferably something which uses a fast window manager like Fluxbox or Enlightenment: any recommendations for what's best at the moment?

I have 2 laptops.
1 Macbook............very good, boots up fast easy to install and delete programs etc........but expensive
Dell running XP good stable OS no stupid questions every time you want to do things.
Used sisters laptop running Vista came close to throwing the thing out of the window, sh+te system asks too many questions, too clunky.
Used nephews new laptop at the weekend running Win 7, quite impressed not as slick as Leopard (mac) but very close and a lot cheaper.
Think in this day and age of credit crunch win 7 is a good choice.
Like XP for work tho as it is very stable and does what it say on the tin............. ;)
Any one upgraded to Snow Leopard yet if so is it worth the £30.00 upgrade?
Also anyone got an Android phone and a Mac, if so what program do you use to sync all your stuff, music,contacts,calendar etc as my new phone arrives saturday.......woo hoo new toy to play with !!!

I have snow leopard for 2 weeks now running on a netbook a wind u100 clone from Pc World , have'nt used the snowy very much yet.
Seems pretty decent in comparison to windows 7 and better than xp .
I'm hoping to do some iphone development on it at a later stage.
Have'nt even seen android yet , just bought a iphone last weekend (for development purposes :) )

Damian Murphy said:
I have snow leopard for 2 weeks now running on a netbook a wind u100 clone from Pc World , have'nt used the snowy very much yet.
Seems pretty decent in comparison to windows 7 and better than xp .
I'm hoping to do some iphone development on it at a later stage.
Have'nt even seen android yet , just bought a iphone last weekend (for development purposes :) )

Got a HTC Desire arriving on saturday, think I have found a program called "missing sync", but it's not cheap so on the lookout for a cheaper one.. :shock:

Back
Top Bottom