Opinions please - for and against ............

............ moving the same DE blade between different razors until it's worn out?

I like to move between my different razors quite frequently but am never happy leaving a blade in any razor not in use. I also don't like to discard a blade that still has use in it.

I do it all the time, use it, clean it off after, dry it, wrap it back up and the next shave it'll be in a different razor (y)
I have started to put a dot from fine felt pen on blade to count number of uses. I also have a row of very small magnets on shelf edge which I stick other in use blades to for easy view.

I used to persevere with a DE blade until it gave up, but nowadays I use a blade and a razor for three days, and then junk the blade and switch to a new razor. Very occasionally, and usually if a new razor has arrived, I may take the blade out of the current razor to try the new one out.

I'm not so well organised that I can monitor blade usage without getting myself tied up in knots, but I certainly have to hand it to anyone who can do this successfully.

SE blades are a different matter. I have a couple of mechanical hand tally-counters, which I use to track usage of AC, injector and Gem-type blades, as they are more durable and I like to see how long they last in different razors. They also cost more, which does incentivise me to go for maximum usage life.

I swap blades around as well. I thoroughly clean and dry razor & blade after every shave.
Another thing I do these days with used blades is to run a drop of hand santizer down the edge of the blade when its in the razor a minute or two before shaving. I don't rub it in or anything like that, just let it drop on the blade and trickle along the edge.
At least in my own mind it helps eliminate any possible bacterial build up while the blade's been sitting around.
It might sound like overkill ( no pun intended ) but in the past I noticed I was getting more weepers and cuts with used blades than with new ones and it wasn't for lack of cleaning.
I've noticed a big difference since using the sanitizer on used blades.

I Only ever use a blade 3 times these days.
Don’t get me wrong i know i can get a lot more with certain blades but like everyone else on here i like to rotate.
Part of my shaving routine i enjoy is the cleaning up.
The blade always comes out, dried and sits on the window sill with the dried razor & brush.
Every shave for me was different but not necessarily any more.
i’ll use the same blade in three different razors

I swap blades around as well. I thoroughly clean and dry razor & blade after every shave.
Another thing I do these days with used blades is to run a drop of hand santizer down the edge of the blade when its in the razor a minute or two before shaving. I don't rub it in or anything like that, just let it drop on the blade and trickle along the edge.
At least in my own mind it helps eliminate any possible bacterial build up while the blade's been sitting around.
It might sound like overkill ( no pun intended ) but in the past I noticed I was getting more weepers and cuts with used blades than with new ones and it wasn't for lack of cleaning.
I've noticed a big difference since using the sanitizer on used blades.
Iv never used Sanitiser on used blades or felt the need.
but i guess it’s a precaution worth taking.

With only a plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic and a Tech to swap DEs between, I basically leave the blade in the Tech until its time for a change. The Wilko is in my overnight bag. Both mild shavers so not much to be gained from blade flipping. However I do loosen the top cap as far as I can and rinse thoroughly and allow to dry without tension.

Personally even when I swap the razors, I’ll carry over the blade. Every time I shave I rinse razor and blade with warm water, give it a gentle dry with microfibre and then leave it to rest on microfibre towel. Blade is laying on it too, ready for next shave whether with the same razor or different one!

if im going to swap to e.g ac , then I make sure I’ll get to the 3-4 shaves with the blade before swapping . Somehow I prefer it to be tidy if I know that for next number of shaves I won’t be using the razor or blade - personal ocd if you want to call it that haha (or lack of space by having only one room available )

Back
Top Bottom