Opinions please - for and against ............

It’s a good idea and will help you get the most out of each blade and razor combo. I wipe down razor and blade after each use and occasionally carry over a blade to a different razor. Problem is, I can easily forget how many uses a particular blade has had.

I am consistently inconsistent, in the perfect scenario I would leave a blade in a razor until it's dead and never remove or clean or flip or change razors with a blade. But, I sometimes use carbon blades in my SE razors which I remove and pat dry, and sometimes switch razors with both SE and DE blades.

It’s a good idea and will help you get the most out of each blade and razor combo. I wipe down razor and blade after each use and occasionally carry over a blade to a different razor. Problem is, I can easily forget how many uses a particular blade has had.
I take it that you're not using any of those blades, usually Indian, as I recall, which carry the stern instruction "Do Not Wipe Blade"!

P.S. For counting times a blade is used, I use a miniature abacus or a hand tally-counter. For bathroom use, I've seen the use of a dice suggested; keep it safe in a tray, dish etc. and just turn it to the next number.

Last edited:
I leave blades in place until i want to change them. 3 shaves max then they are binned, as i have always felt a deterioration in performance by the third shave with any blade.

After a shave i loosen the head and slosh the razor round in very hot clean water, which always seems to clean them up satisfactorily.

If there is a lot of build-up, like when i have shaved off several days worth of growth, then i will take the blade out and very gently run thumb and first finger along the blade edge in a pinch slide away from the edge - but i don't really like doing that as i am worried about taking off the micro plating on the blade edge.

Same here, blades stay in place until they get changed. And that is after three or less uses for a DE blade. With SE more around ten to fifteen depending on the blade. Razors get properly cleaned on a Sunday. This seems to work for me just fine.

Blade stays in place until it's ready for the bin with a thorough rinse in hot water after each use. Razor and blade are then stored in warm dry place to prevent deterioration of the latter. I get 3/4 shaves from most modern blades and anything from 3 to 20 with NOS. Personally I avoid handling blades unnecessarily due to the risk of damaging the edge and cutting myself.

Same here, blades stay in place until they get changed. And that is after three or less uses for a DE blade. With SE more around ten to fifteen depending on the blade. Razors get properly cleaned on a Sunday. This seems to work for me just fine.

Same for me. Blades stay in razor until Sunday then razor cleaned and new blade for beginning of week
Funny enough that's when I wind my clocks up as well. I have a few mechanical clocks.

...Funny enough that's when I wind my clocks up as well. I have a few mechanical clocks.

KsGeKjr.jpg

With only a plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic and a Tech to swap DEs between, I basically leave the blade in the Tech until its time for a change. The Wilko is in my overnight bag. Both mild shavers so not much to be gained from blade flipping. However I do loosen the top cap as far as I can and rinse thoroughly and allow to dry without tension.
Is it the older Wilkinson sword black plastic one or the newer silver one?

You got any other razors or just the two?

The black plastic one, which GordyC kindly gave me. Brilliant for the wash bag as the end caps cover the blade tabs, blade exposure is minimal and it shaves very nicely on the mild side. One of those, plus my ball end Tech 1963 which is obviously my DE of choice. Most of my razors are straights tho mate. Got 5 of the little bleeders! They're my fun thing, the Tech is just a very pleasant and effective way to smarten up when there isn't time for the whole cutthroat ritual.

I never said I wasn't going to ever covet other DEs though...
tenor.gif

The plastic Wilkinson Sword classic is a better choice than the newer TTO in my opinion, having owned and used both. I think the plastic Wilko is an absolute gem of a bargain basement razor.

I often dig out the plastic one and it is my go to for a safe / mild razor to keep in a travel washbag - i much prefer it to my Feather Popular which i find a bit fiddly to use, with the exact angle it requires and the big plastic safety bar which gets in the way - the Wilkinson Sword plastic classic is very quick and forgiving to use i find.

The metal TTO Wilkinson Sword Classic is a nicely made razor for the price, and it shaves OK, but i just cant bond with it in any way.

The plastic Wilkinson Sword classic is a better choice than the newer TTO in my opinion, having owned and used both. I think the plastic Wilko is an absolute gem of a bargain basement razor.

I often dig out the plastic one and it is my go to for a safe / mild razor to keep in a travel washbag - i much prefer it to my Feather Popular which i find a bit fiddly to use, with the exact angle it requires and the big plastic safety bar which gets in the way - the Wilkinson Sword plastic classic is very quick and forgiving to use i find.

The metal TTO Wilkinson Sword Classic is a nicely made razor for the price, and it shaves OK, but i just cant bond with it in any way.
Yea I want to try out the new willison sword and the king c Gillette razor, think some YouTuber did a comparison vid, think watched a bit but not the whole thing

I think off the top of my head that black plastic Wilkinson sword de razor was my first de razor in 2016

You reminded me I've got a feather popular brand new which I still need to try out lol

I have both razors and in terms of the quality of the shave I don't find much between them, both are mild and easy to use. The black plastic Wilkinson was about £5, from memory, with a pack of blades and as long as you take care when attaching the head is going to be with you for a lifetime, we should be proud.

Another modern plastic/polymer DE that works good is this one:

Funny you should post this, just saw it on ebay the other day

Back
Top Bottom