on becoming a chap

Canuck said:
Sir Prize sounds like the guy for the job and no mistake. I wonder if he gives lessons.

He did give me a lesson on snuff taking when we met. But you're either SirPrize or you're not, there's no faking it.

Despite owning one or two of the accoutrements, I'm not a chap and don't want to be, I'm just a man. (A manly man mind you).

I'm not sure I like all this "trying" to be "chappy", there is a blog writer here that seems to go in for it in a big way... always seems a bit false and a tiny bit fey to me.
As for "The Chap" magazine, that is one massive toe curler of fake Terry Thomas / Doctors in Love mawkery.

Mawkery....such a good word :)

sjedwardz said:
How about a monocle? You will need to perfect the art of saying. "I say what a fine filly " whilst opening the eye with the monocle in and seeing if you can get it to drop in the said ladies cleavage.

Believe me it takes some practice but like riding a bike you don't forget once you've got it.

monocle added to list

SirPrize said:
Gentlemen... gentlemen - you make me blush! :icon_redface:

From what I can gather the definition of a Chap according to the magazine of that name is one who is devoted to tweed, pipes, brogues, open razors and cravats.
I do not wear Tweed - it is hairy and uncomfortable, doubles in weight and smells of urine when wet, and of course is never worn in Town.
I'm more of a corduroy and fleece sort of chap - I mean person.
I do smoke a pipe and I do wear brogues - although I prefer a deep rich glow rather than a high gloss parade shine (in both pipes and brogues!)
I do not use an open razor - too much to learn and too much concentration required (attention span of a goldfish).
I utterly abhor cravats - if you wish to cover your Adam's apple what is wrong with a tie? - and if you wish to go open necked then just do so.

So I'm afraid that I am the last person to consult on how to be a Chap.

Thank you for sharing some truths regarding 'chaps'. It is always better to gain insight 'from the horse's mouth' as it were. Well, I am resigned to drift towards/away from becoming a chap as fate see's fit. I agree with posters who said things along the lines of 'if you try, you never will be'. Toodles.

pugh-the-special-one said:
the pefect role model for any aspiring chap would obviously be John Steed from the Avengers, he's surely the Daddy of all Chaps.

Jamie.

Spookily enough, the current Peter Christian "Tailoring & Couture Collection" (sic) has just arrived with me. & lo & behold it is dedicated to a "Tweed & Mrs. Peel Collection". Complete with photographic homage to the iconic chappie.
So here, at last, is one supplier's guide to all essentials for an aspiring chap.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

newageshaver said:
Gents, I have recently been giving thought to what accoutrement's one might need to qualify as being a chap. So Far I think the items that might be required would include:-
Decent Shaving gear(of course)
A walking cane(preferably with a sword or drink flask hidden inside)
A panama hat
an Arran or fairisle sweater/ cardigan( for indoor use only)
Tweed Jacket
Brogues
A smoking jacket
Pipes (even if one does not partake)
a gundog
a man 'who does things about the place'

anything else that should/could go on this list?

I have to admit to owning only 3 of these items so far.....so I am nowhere near being a 'chap' yet.

Don't forget about gout, most seious chaps suffer from gout.

Kevin

I am by no means an expert on savoir faire for chaps, but respectfully suggest the following accouterments:

- A collar stud
- A hip flask
- Sock suspenders

joe mcclaine said:
I know someone who fits that description. He's not what I'd call a chap though.

Don't really imagine you with that stereotypical languid air of, "can't really be ars.d" I always vaguely associate with the public school air of, "I'm not really trying, just naturally gifted" which a "chap" has in my mind Vinny.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom