on becoming a chap

Gents, I have recently been giving thought to what accoutrement's one might need to qualify as being a chap. So Far I think the items that might be required would include:-
Decent Shaving gear(of course)
A walking cane(preferably with a sword or drink flask hidden inside)
A panama hat
an Arran or fairisle sweater/ cardigan( for indoor use only)
Tweed Jacket
Brogues
A smoking jacket
Pipes (even if one does not partake)
a gundog
a man 'who does things about the place'

anything else that should/could go on this list?

I have to admit to owning only 3 of these items so far.....so I am nowhere near being a 'chap' yet.

Northam Saint said:
Red or yellow waist coat
Red cords
And red cheeks from the alcohol

There's a few like that around these parts

ok, added them to my list....thanks. Its looking like I never will be a 'chap'.

newageshaver said:
Northam Saint said:
Red or yellow waist coat
Red cords
And red cheeks from the alcohol

There's a few like that around these parts

ok, added them to my list....thanks. Its looking like I never will be a 'chap'.

though red alcohol cheeks should be manageable.

Where is SirPrize.

He IS Chap.

All I have is the moustache, snuff and pipe but my penchant for Pantalons De Nimes rules me out.

GOLDCREST said:
Oh Dear.....the only item's on your list I HAVEN'T got are a Butler and a smoking jacket.... I thought it was an age thing rather than being a Chap.....Ah well , never mind..

It could be an age thing....I seem to be slipping very gradually into chappish-ness :icon_rolleyes:

Johnus said:
Well gentlemen the one thing your missing for today is a Valentines Day Card!

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY ALL!!

I bought mine just now...well not mine, for the good lady. I din't have a butler yet to go and get one for me.

joe mcclaine said:
Where is SirPrize.

He IS Chap.

All I have is the moustache, snuff and pipe but my penchant for Pantalons De Nimes rules me out.

Sir Prize sounds like the guy for the job and no mistake. I wonder if he gives lessons.

Bechet45 said:
Surely one needs a modicum of cash suitably stashed, else one is in danger of being considered a cad and not a chap, at all, at all.

this is a good point....i might in fact be a cad then...this is an unpleasant development.

ebilpirate said:
Are we sure that being a chap isn't a state of mind?

could be.....In my mind I reckon I am about 50 % chap...but have just learned that I might actually be 50% cad instead. I need to meditate on this one.

Leather elbow & cuff protectors for the venerable tweed jacket plus access to a "little old lady who does for me" to hand stitch them on & carry out ongoing repairs to shirt collars.
I don't believe that Anthony could teach the arcane art of being a chap ............. he just is a kind of epitome of natural taste.

JohnnyO. \:blush:

Ken T M said:
Anyone who strives to be a Chap will never actually be one.

Ken, I don't really know whether I want to be one or not....I just seem to be drifting slowly in that direction.....willl need a lottery win in any case if I am to reach chaphood.

JohnnyO said:
Leather elbow & cuff protectors for the venerable tweed jacket plus access to a "little old lady who does for me" to hand stitch them on & carry out ongoing repairs to shirt collars.
I don't believe that Anthony could teach the arcane art of being a chap ............. he just is a kind of epitome of natural taste.

JohnnyO. \:blush:

natural taste......yes,I guess you either have it or you dont then........I dont :(

Leather elbow and cuff protectors maketh not a Chap, quite the reverse, in fact. Those items belong on the jackets of Duffers, a venerable breed, one has to say.

Times move on even for a Chap. My Lady-Wot-Does is a nineteen year old Pole and utterly gorgeous. Sometimes it's hard being a Chap.

Back
Top Bottom