Ogallala Soap - BAD experience -do NOT melt it

I think Rod is right, the instructions should be clearer. I am glad I read this thread first. I melted mine on defrost for a minute at a time and let it stand between each zap. All went well and I ended up with the soap c/w scent in an old TOBS pot I had. But having tried to zap soap before in the micro and frazzled it I know how Rod feels. I would hope that the vendor tries to sort this out for him................now all I have to do is figure out what I am doing wrong in lathering the stuff, cannot get a stable lather just seems to come out with lots of bubbles and dries out very quickly. Any suggestions would be appreciated, please.

sunburyboy93 said:
I know when I make my soap that the unset mix cannot be hot otherwise any scent oils added just evaporate away with the steam so I guess if this gets hot in the micro the same thing happens

I cannot believe that heating in the MW for all of 50 seconds evaporated ALL scent from the molten soapk - diffusion of a volatile fragrance in a liquid isn't that fast. Sounds more like the scent wasn't distributed evenly over the soap in the first place; maybe the scent was concentrated in a 'small parcel' (intentionally or otherwise) to begin with?

Mikael said:
But if the 15A fuses are right and my info is right aswell (re thinner cables) it must be some serious fires every year, started due to just that (way more than over here)!?

Which is probably correct, from my limited experience ;-)

hunnymonster said:
But yes, they do get quite a lot of electrical fires - which is why many states forbid you from doing any wiring (including telephone and network).

Wish it were that easy and sensible, but a lot of those regulations are purely trade protectionist - and that in a country that prides itself on its libertarian profile...

hunnymonster said:
Microwaves don't have a temperature...

Oh, but they do. Most of the time, it's ambient...

D&R

Jason1wood said:
soapalchemist said:
Am I missing something....why is it necessary to melt the soap?

that's exactly what I've been thinking.

It's done to make it fit easily, it being a hard soap, in to things like ramekins. It makes it much easier to use and store. I have an two Ogallala soaps which I have done this with.

I must also add I haven't experienced this loss in scent on either.

Back
Top Bottom