Ogallala Soap - BAD experience -do NOT melt it

I dunno, if it says 800W on the micro and you plug that in in an outlet here, compared to there, the outcome would be different (either the micro burns here, if it's an american one or run very low if plugged in over there). I know their freezers (household) never can go as deep as ours, if you're not connecting it to/between two outlets, but then the engine would fry, if it was an american freezer.

You're correct re Watt is the same everywhere (W=U*I), but I don't think it's true that they've got double the current in the US, actually they use smaller distrubution cables there, so if they did, it would be a _lot_ of fires started by electricy over there. I've only read this though, so I don't know for a fact (re the distrubation cables, both in the net and in houses, being less thick than here).

Edited: It wouldn't be double the current, since they use 60 hertz instead of 50, like us, but roughly.

No, their household supplies are 110V and rated at 15A - so maximum supply possible is 1.65kW - in Europe 230V 16A is more common (13A in the UK) and capable of delivering 3.7kW (3.1kW in the UK).

If you were to plug a 110V microwave in a 230V supply - it would burn out. If you plug in a 230V microwave in to 110V it probably wouldn't work.

If you were to plug a 110V incandescent bulb in a 230V supply - it would burn exceedingly brightly for a very short time (a 1000 hour bulb would burn out in approximately 3 seconds, but would be about 10x as bright). If you plug in a 230V bulb in to 110V it might glow faintly but would generate heat quite well :)

As for larger appliances in the US they tend to have a 230V supply available now - to cope with the restriction imposed by 110V/15A.

As for freezers not going to as low temperatures - possibly a limitation of the starting surge current for the compressor - although I'd expect to get to as low a temperature, but take longer to get there (given the softer start that would imply). More likely given general American attitude to energy efficiency - they're just poorly performing.

hunnymonster said:
No, their household supplies are 110V and rated at 15A - so maximum supply possible is 1.65kW - in Europe 230V 16A is more common (13A in the UK) and capable of delivering 3.7kW (3.1kW in the UK).

If you were to plug a 110V microwave in a 230V supply - it would burn out. If you plug in a 230V microwave in to 110V it probably wouldn't work.

If you were to plug a 110V incandescent bulb in a 230V supply - it would burn exceedingly brightly for a very short time (a 1000 hour bulb would burn out in approximately 3 seconds, but would be about 10x as bright). If you plug in a 230V bulb in to 110V it might glow faintly but would generate heat quite well :)

As for larger appliances in the US they tend to have a 230V supply available now - to cope with the restriction imposed by 110V/15A.

As for freezers not going to as low temperatures - possibly a limitation of the starting surge current for the compressor - although I'd expect to get to as low a temperature, but take longer to get there (given the softer start that would imply). More likely given general American attitude to energy efficiency - they're just poorly performing.

When saying "household supply" do you mean the power coming into the house or the power going out inside the house? In our house we have 400V comming in on a 25A fuse and 230V going out on each phase, every section you build from there is then, most often, limitited to a 10A fuse, for one phase (certain stuff can use/have three phases).

I was involved in a disscussion years ago, re american freezers not being able to go under -20 degrees celcius and therefor not being able to kill off the tobaccoo bug that infestes cigars, sometimes (and can eat a whole collections :icon_sad:). It was a long thread, but it ended up in two comclutions: US freezers (household) can't be pushed under -20 and tobaccoo bugs can't be killed if not frozen to under -20 degrees.

You're prob right re US vs Europeen micros and ours not working over there, but that wasn't my point, even though I do understand your point now and that you're most likely right (if US micros has the same settings as ours and if they can pull 10A, or so, from one outlet ... I thought they only could take around 6-7A due to small diameter cables and the suply from the electric net :blush: :icon_cry2:)

When I say household supply I mean "outlet voltage" - where you have 400V, they have 200V :)

That's entirely design - for food preservation -18C is sufficient... so the need to take a domestic appliance below that is limited. Did they ever think of using something like a Calcium Chloride freezing mixture? That should allow anyone who wants to, to get down to about -35C reasonably easily & cheaply...

Anyway - their sockets are rated 15A (a dirty contact could make a nice heater if you pull the whole 15A though those weeny little prongs :) - certainly an excellent source of RF interference)

Different freezing methods where discussed, but with larg/er volumes there seemed to be no good solutions (the cigars needs to be frozen fr a certain period of time aswell, a couple of days to weeks, depending on temp).

But if the 15A fuses are right and my info is right aswell (re thinner cables) it must be some serious fires every year, started due to just that (way more than over here)!?

Ah, no 15A rating for the plugs & sockets - that's not necessarily the same thing as the fuse in the distribution board (which should be sized to protect the cable in the wall).

But yes, they do get quite a lot of electrical fires - which is why many states forbid you from doing any wiring (including telephone and network). Add to that that many houses are entirely wooden and it can be exciting :)

Tardisbasher said:
I'm sorry, you've lost me guys...Could you repeat that again?:icon_wink:

Don't follow the instructions on the label on the Ogalalla soap!

"Melt in a microwave and pour into a mug"

Even if you do not leave it in the microwave long enough to melt it all, any that can be poured has lost ALL of its scent.

Ogalolla manufacturers say it doesn't happen, and they have never heard of it.

It DOES happen. I did it with two pucks of soap.
If you do it as per the instructions, you will waste your money as I have.

I am miffed about it.
And that... is the last I am going to say on the matter until Jonathan responds with his findings.

Rod

I think they should have specified the temperature of the microwave on the label.
Rod, I suggest to send them back the soaps and ask for a refund.

Any scent will evaporate in heat; the more heat the more so. Am I missing something....why is it necessary to melt the soap? I would have thought if it is bigger than your chosen bowl, a better option would be to get a bigger bowl, as surely the bigger the surface area the better? Or are the bars square?
It could be that you overdid it Neep; but if you still had some solid soap in the middle, and the instructions say to pour it.......?
Still, from what I've read about this seller, I'm sure he'll make it right.:)
As for the watts and amps......all lost on me. No surprises there, then.

soapalchemist said:
It could be that you overdid it Neep; but if you still had some solid soap in the middle, and the instructions say to pour it.......?
Still, from what I've read about this seller, I'm sure he'll make it right.:)

There was solid soap left in the middle after I heated it. So I didn't over heat it.
My mistake was to follow the instructions and heat it at all.
The instructions on the soap did state "Melt in a microwave and pour into a mug"

The seller has gone totally quiet on the matter since his post in this thread on 12th October:
Thanks for your messages. I have been liaising with Rod and also John @ Ogallala. The feedback from Ogallala is as follows;
"First I have ever heard of that. We sell a LOT of soap to repeat customers. I'm sure if it were common I'd have heard it before."

From John's response and reading the experience of posters here, I would assume that the problem of loss of scent during the heating process, is down to the way the soap has been heated.. (Rod - this is not to say that you have 'done it wrongly' as I understand you have followed the instructions)

I will try various different heating times/powers this evening and post the results..

Regards
Jonathan

It seems he has forgotten.
I haven't.

Back
Top Bottom