Not getting the shave im after me or razor?

Hi gang, Have a Merkur hd at the moment using feather blades and the T&H sample pack of cream.Can get a nice shave without any nicks or cuts,but just cant seem to get that last bit of hair that would leave me bbs.Is it me or would i need to step up to a more agressive razor to get that last bit.Thanks in advance.

Depends on how long you have been shaving with a DE. If it's a week, just stick with it, technique will improve and that last bit will get scooped up eventually.

If more than a week or two, then you have a really good razor there, great cream, and the sharpest blade ever, so maybe you need to experiment. Not everyone gets on with feathers, so try a few different ones.

I'm not sure I'd dive into Mantic's advanced techniques just yet... well not unless you've been DE shaving for years. I'm certainly not trying those techniques myself, no need to.

Nothing wrong with the razor itself IMO.

I agree..stick with it!..one day your face will wanna str8 razor..then your wallet will give in!... :lol:
Mine did...I DE'd for 2 yrs before I got mine..now I use em all in rotation
B

CanucksTraveller said:
Depends on how long you have been shaving with a DE. If it's a week, just stick with it, technique will improve and that last bit will get scooped up eventually.

If more than a week or two, then you have a really good razor there, great cream, and the sharpest blade ever, so maybe you need to experiment. Not everyone gets on with feathers, so try a few different ones.

I'm not sure I'd dive into Mantic's advanced techniques just yet... well not unless you've been DE shaving for years. I'm certainly not trying those techniques myself, no need to.

Nothing wrong with the razor itself IMO.

without even realising it.... i actually use J hooking and blade buffing a little in my daily routine for some awkward spots i have on my neck. Its just become natural as i went through the process of learning how the hair on my face grows. Theres patches on my neck where the hair is almost growing in a circular arrangement, e.g. some grows upwards, some sideways and some downwards as you move around the neck. Ive found that J hooking is about the only way to deal with this patch as solid one direction passes tend to catch awkward hairs and give me weepers.

shrink said:
without even realising it.... i actually use J hooking and blade buffing a little in my daily routine for some awkward spots i have on my neck. Its just become natural as i went through the process of learning how the hair on my face grows. Theres patches on my neck where the hair is almost growing in a circular arrangement, e.g. some grows upwards, some sideways and some downwards as you move around the neck. Ive found that J hooking is about the only way to deal with this patch as solid one direction passes tend to catch awkward hairs and give me weepers.

+1 Shrink. I found I was not getting a close shave below my jawline and found the slide to be effective. Didn't realise at the time that it was an advanced tecnique. I now feel quite chuffed. :lol:

Thanks again gang,I have been de shaving for a while but struggle with the last bit of hair that would leave me bbs.Sure i have read somewhere the Merkur is quite a mild razor and thought i may have to get a more agggressive one :?:

georgeandpeppa said:
Thanks again gang,I have been de shaving for a while but struggle with the last bit of hair that would leave me bbs.Sure i have read somewhere the Merkur is quite a mild razor and thought i may have to get a more agggressive one :?:

I don't think that the aggression of a razor makes too much difference to whether BBS is achievable or not. I have a Schick Krona which to me feels very mild (in that I would actually find it quite hard to nick myself compared to my EJ89L) and I feel my technique is now good enough to get a really smooth shave without much effort. Considering the Merkur HD is one of the most popular razors (it certainly has many fans across the pond) I can't see why you shouldn't manage BBS with this particular razor. I know it is recommended as a razor for beginners and is presumably erring towards the mild side my point about the Krona should mean it will be fine. :D

In a nutshell, check out your technique! ;)

Thanks again, i agree its more me then the razor just wasnt sure if it was to mild for what i was after.Got a gilette slim adjustable on the way(think you lot call it RAD lol) will see how i get on with that and compare the two. :shave

Well it might be worth giving against the grain a go . Opinion is varied some people avoid it like the plague others like myself always use an atg pass

Have you actually mapped your beard ? typically wtg is shown as north to south , xtg is shown as (east to west or west to east) and atg as south to north. But that is not true , a north south pass could in fact include parts of all three wtg, xtg, atg.

Back
Top Bottom