noob questions about shaving sticks

D

Deleted member 12673

hello people im a noob when it comes to shaving sticks so i wanted to ask a few questions in regards to shaving sticks,
first of all i didnt realise you had to apply the shaving stick on the region you want to shave then apply a shaving brush with water to create the lather,
when i was shaving in my teens, i would literally just wet the shaving stick and work the lather by rubbing the shaving brush against the stick then apply it on my head to shave, obviously i was getting it all wrong lol :/

first of all why do people use say a shaving stick as oppose to a shaving soap? i mean isnt a soap better?

one of the main reasons i could think of someone wanting to use a stick instead of a soap is due to the cost maybe?
i assume sticks last a lot longer and are cheaper compared to soaps, just to clarify this is me just assuming this, feel free to correct me

anyways which are shaving sticks considered to be the good ones out there?
whats the going rate for say examply a palmolive shaving stick in the uk?
also which supermarkets or health and beauty shops sell them in the uk?

this is just to give me an idea hopefully

thanks saj

By using a shave stick you can see how much soap you are loading.

It's not better or worse than loading from a tub/puck but different.

Good shaving sticks which are easy to get hold include La Toja, Tabac, Speick and Arko.

All these are top quality from my experience.

cool ill check them out, many thanks :)

The few times iv actually used sticks i haven’t really enjoyed them, to much faffing around for me HOWEVER a good few months ago i bought 2 palmolive sticks which i grated down & in to a tub which for me is a far better way to use them
must be more convenient to use now that youve got them in a tub

I've always found the best time and use for sticks is when travelling, as they are designed to go into one of the two containers in a travelling case (the other is for a small brush). These containers are often found in Wardonia and some other shaving kits.

For interest, this is the case I carried about for many years. It belonged to my late mother-in-law's first husband in the RAF, whose Lancaster, on the disastrous 1942 Augsburg daylight raid to bomb the MAN U-boat diesel engine works there, was shot down over France with the loss of all the crew. They had been married for only a couple of months, and she was kind enough to give it to me when I married her daughter.

As to drying them off, a good towelling helps, but often doesn't really do the job, which I've tried to finish with air-drying. Not easy when I packed my gear and moved on to the next destination straight after an early breakfast.

Attachments

• Case.JPG
    Case.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 27
I've always found the best time and use for sticks is when travelling, as they are designed to go into one of the two containers in a travelling case (the other is for a small brush). These containers are often found in Wardonia and some other shaving kits.

For interest, this is the case I carried about for many years. It belonged to my late mother-in-law's first husband in the RAF, whose Lancaster, on the disastrous 1942 Augsburg daylight raid to bomb the MAN U-boat diesel engine works there, was shot down over France with the loss of all the crew. They had been married for only a couple of months, and she was kind enough to give it to me when I married her daughter.

As to drying them off, a good towelling helps, but often doesn't really do the job, which I've tried to finish with air-drying. Not easy when I packed my gear and moved on to the next destination straight after an early breakfast.
thats such a nice gesture of her :)

that actually reminds me of the vintage grooming sets you see for sale on ebay

how do you guys dry these shaving sticks off?
Shave sticks are just soap shaped like a small roll.

They don't last longer than any other shaving soap gram to gram, i.e. the same soap in the superior Tabac stick will last the same if it was in the awful Tabac bowl.
Saying that, it is a super convenient way of using shaving soap, and they take very little space without the faff of using a round soap puck.

How to dry a shaving stick in three simple steps:

1. Turn the stick with the exposed tip towards the sky or your ceiling (if you have one)
2. Place the plastic base or tube of said stick on your shelf (note, Arko* sticks don't come with a base or tube).
3. Wait for it to dry

* Ah Arko, that old chesnut. If you have Arko sticks, just smash them into a used dedorant tube or spend a couple of £ on a new one.

Can anyone recall the name of the brand(s) which came in a container where you twiddled the base to push the stick up and down, like a lip-salve tube? I seem to remember that it was a job to draw it back down the tube, and towards the end of it, you couldn't get to the last bit, as that was still within the top of the tube.

anyways which are shaving sticks considered to be the good ones out there?
whats the going rate for say examply a palmolive shaving stick in the uk?
also which supermarkets or health and beauty shops sell them in the uk?
Palmolive shave sticks seem to be discontinued in the UK, unless you're lucky and find some old stock still on a shelf somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom