noob questions about shaving sticks

I haven't tried one myself, but I understand that the Spanish La Toja sticks are quite good. I think Lea also do a stick, but my past experience with Lea soap, which I presume the stick to be the same as, hasn't impressed me.
Yea seen quite a few people mention la toja, didn't know it was a Spanish brand though

Can anyone recall the name of the brand(s) which came in a container where you twiddled the base to push the stick up and down, like a lip-salve tube? I seem to remember that it was a job to draw it back down the tube, and towards the end of it, you couldn't get to the last bit, as that was still within the top of the tube.
D R Harris makes a shaving stick like this.

I find DR Harris very expensive for the little bit that you get (and mine broke within two shaves also)

I have lots of shaving sticks but my favorite is Nivea Men Body Shaving Protect & Care
also very good and lots of choice is Mama Bears

I have a few sticks, but have them grated into tubs. Classics!

Palmolive
Wilkinson Sword < has the trifecta of tallow, glycerine & lanolin (as does Vie-Long)
Erasmic < three formulas (all discontinued now) ... tallow, veg formula 1 (crap) & veg formula 2 (good)
LEA < new (new, new) formula (red dot on front/coconut oil based) is good soap
Vie-Long < if you can find it (now discontinued), it's the old formula LEA with tallow
Arko < Pure classic!
Derby < similar to Arko, less toilet puck
Speick

If you're going to start somewhere, Palmolive, Wilkinson Sword or Arko is as good a place as any.

so you know how you can use a shaving stick, say for example an arko one and you can mould it to fit nicely at the bottom of a shaving bowl/mug etc, i was wondering whats the largest showing bowl/mug you lot have put it in?

ive got a bit of a bigger copper shaving bowl which has a diameter of 17cm

IMG_20210115_170501.jpgIMG_20210115_170449__01.jpg

Got around to using the boots shaving stick, actually quite good to be fair but I prefer Arko, this boots one doesn't have that strong of a scent, bit of a stronger scent and I would've enjoyed it more tbh

so used the blue lid cooling cremo shaving stick, it's nice, did a head lather and was easy to lather and has a nice cooling minty sensation, think the proraso pre shave probably helped too, all in all nice for a few quid, worth a try if you can grab one from your local tk max or homesense

anyone used the erasmic shaving soap in the bowl? Is it any good?

Grabbed some today

I use any hard soap (Mitchell's, Cyril Salter) as sticks, rub them on the wet face and then go with the wet brush.
For me it works great, better than lathering up in a bowl and probably I also waste less soap (which carries the downside of making difficult to justify to the Lady the arrival of new soaps)...

anyone used the erasmic shaving soap in the bowl? Is it any good?

Grabbed some today
Depends which ...

It used to tallow, but that was a while ago. Then, they put out one based on coconut oil and everyone hated it. Then, they put out another one based on coconut oil and that's pretty good! Then (or maybe in the middle), they put out one based on coconut oil but which also had lanolin ... and that one is nice. I have that one ... and a vintage tallow.

So, yes ... good (enough), assuming you don't have the old reformulation which is unlikely. That Erasmic scent is true to the vintage. Enjoy! Post up the ingredient list and I'll have a stab at guessing which formulation you have.

Back
Top Bottom