Nikon d3100 starter help

Hi all,I'be just purchased a d3100 and love it.it came with a 18-55 lens which is a good all round lens I beloved!really new to Dale's so just wondering what kit you guys recommend.guess a bag is essential and would like a tripod,but am recommendations on these or other things I may have missed.what lens do you suggest I get in the future? Also do the macro conversion kits work well at all? Cheers Ed

The 50mm prime 1.8 is a great lens and now under 100 quid.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-50mm-F1-8D-Nikkor-Lens/dp/B00005LEN4/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318794476&sr=8-1-spell

It really depends what you want to photograph as to what you buy.

worth checking that 1.8 will autofocus on your body if you are thinking about buying.

The Lowepro bag range are excellent, also buy a wireless remote shutter for your Nikon allows you better control of your shot and also lets you move around the shot and alter the lighting slightly before you press the remote shutter, Velbon produce good quality tripods, a folding reflector always a good way of refecting light back into a close up or macro, the lense you have will cover 90% of the photography for you and most other people will come across.

Jamie.

The only issue with kit lenses is the amount of light you can get in. I am guessing it is 3.5 - 5.6 so if you do start to get 'into' it you will probably want to buy faster lenses. Like I said it really depends on what you want to photograph, tell us and we can give you some suggestions.

Really be using it for a bit of a mixture really.my other half will use it for her make up blog so lots of self portraits and close ups of make up,we have lots of pets so pics of the fish and cat ect and I'll use it for landscapes mainly.and shave of the day posts!

I myself use a 18-55 which is the equivilent of a 28-80 in 35mm I also use a Nikon with the DX-VR lens, as long as you use a tripod and a wireless remote that lens is good enough for most enthusiast photographers,. my perfect lens would be a 18-200 F3.5, but at £625 I think I will make do for the time being.

Jamie.

Tripod and remote release suggests long shutter speeds. Great for star trails, not ideal for pets. I would get a flash for your still life stuff, something you can bounce or fire off camera. I have the SB600. Depending on budget again! My best advice is go and take pictures, see what you enjoy and you will find where you would like to make improvements with kit.

I am a very keen Photographer have a wide interest in photography, landscapes, portraits, pets & wildlife, Still life, have exhibited my work won a few Canon an Nikon picture of the month awards, and have never used a flash in my life,
Tripods and remotes mean you can correctly compose the still life shots such as SOTD, macro shots, landscapes and portraits, in fact if you want to make photography more than just a point and shoot process, get a tripod and you actually start thinking more, a tripod and a remote release shutter will be the two most important accessories you will ever buy, I like to think i'm offering good advice I did a years foundation in fine Art and photography before applying for a Fine Art degree, I also have a A'level and O'level in photography, I like to think you will find those two items invaluable. On the other hand a expensive flash would be the very last item I would tell a newby photographer to buy.

Jamie.

Was looking at a flash as hoping a mate of mine can lend me his to try.I've got cs5 pro so software is sorted and got a UV filter on the way.think as said I will have a.play and see what I feel I need!

How do you light your portraiture Jamie?
Btw I am not saying you are wrong just coming from a different viewpoint based on what he wants to photograph.However I totally disagree with the remote and tripod being invaluable in helping composition. Get one if you want long shutter, otherwise handhold it.
I would like to have a look at your winning shots if you have them online?

Been looking and have to admit a 55-200 lens is very tempting to get for Xmas!!!!but think I shall hold off and get a very good bag and maybe spare battery and go from there!

the talkphotography forum is where I sell normally. Some good bargains and a feedback system so you can have a bit of confidence in what you buy.

Back
Top Bottom