Newbie to the forum, couple of questions :-)

I am cheap so will give honing a go but skip Naniwa et al and order some 3M lapping film.
Lapping Film Offers as Fine an Edge as Naniwa Super Stones..The Lapping Film Progression I Use & Highly Recommend is..15 Micron, 9, 5, 3, 1...I Use 15 Micron Diamond Film as the Bevel Hone..I Use Chromium Oxide Film for Progression..The Diamond Cuts Faster than Cro/Ox Film..I Wouldn't Recommend it for Progression as its Not as Cushioned or Smooth a Cutter as Cro/Ox Film..o_O

That Said..I had to get the Diamond from a Friend in the USA & 15 Micron Cro/Ox Film Does the Job Very Well for Setting Bevels..Lapping Film is Relatively Easy to Use but Does Take a High Level of Intelligence to Use Properly..I Don't Say that Lightly..There is No Bones about it..:D

Billy

Last edited:
if you've ever sharpened chisels or plane irons, you shouldn't have to much trouble putting an edge on a razor. once you have set the bevel all the rest of the progression is just polishing. the more aggressive the material you used to set the bevel, the more polishing you will need to do.
i set the bevel on wet n dry paper and the use lapping film to polish, it's pretty idiot proof and cheap too.

Back
Top Bottom