New to real shaving razors

Hello people of the Internet shaving world. I am new to this area of life (extreme shaving, not just shaving). Essentially, i'm 22 and really Googled this forum because i'm so fed up of my Gillete Fusion blades. They drag, are uncomfortable and give a really bad shave unless you use a new blade each time. So... the Internet seems to think they are a rip off (which I do to), but I couldn't seem to nail down what would be a good first time, proper razor for myself. I don't want to spend any more than 30GBP, is it possible to get anything for this? I see people suggesting Merkur razors, are these any good?

Thank for you for your help folks :)

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5931</a><!-- l -->

Ok, so i'm thinking of a Merkur and a nice shaving brush. At the minute I just use Sainsburys own brand shaving foam. It's OK... just as good as more expensive foam, but probably not the best...

+1 on that link..Merkurs are a heavier razor when compared to Gillette..Though you might wanna try a Gillette Tech which is a light n mild razor or a Gillette Superspeed..though thats just me if I were starting out

B

alex98uk said:
Ok, so i'm thinking of a Merkur and a nice shaving brush. At the minute I just use Sainsburys own brand shaving foam. It's OK... just as good as more expensive foam, but probably not the best...

No, definitely not ideal. Check out Antdad's link and Mantic's shave tutorials on YouTube (just type in Mantic Shaving in the search box and you'll find them). :D

alex98uk said:
I don't want to spend any more than 30GBP, is it possible to get anything for this? I see people suggesting Merkur razors, are these any good?

Thank for you for your help folks :)

Welcome :p

Enjoy the banter, and yes you can find a decent new or vintage razor for that price :D

Max

Just read your way through the forums - keeping an eye on the buy sell trade topic and you will find all the information you could possibly need, you may even find your self a good buy on a ravor, brush and soaps - I know I did :D

Welcome and enjoy :shave

Blades said:
+1 on that link..Merkurs are a heavier razor when compared to Gillette..Though you might wanna try a Gillette Tech which is a light n mild razor or a Gillette Superspeed..though thats just me if I were starting out

B

Now as a new DE shaver I totally agree here with Blades.

Blades very kindly sent me a PIF of a Gillette Tech and I am getting on really well with it.

I know I should stick with one blade at first but I have tried a Gillette Yellow in it, an Astra Platinum and also a Gillette Super Thin, of the lot the Yellow seems the best for me. The world of different blades is fascinating ! As far as nicks go I have only given myself one very small one.

As everyone on here also says and it's very true its all in the prep, a good lather is essential and you will feel the difference when you have a good lather as you shave.

Thank you for all the input. Thinking back, I do actually remember having some OK experiences with the Gilletes, but it when I wasn't rushing to do something, so maybe you guys are right in that preparation is the real success factor. I still want to get rid of my Fusion if only for the eye watering cost of blades. I think i'll invest in a brush and some lather as well as a razer. So, from what you folks have said, I see the Gillette Tech is recommended more over the Merkur for a first time user. Because i'm new to this area, could someone post some links to Gilette Techs for sale? I googled them but there seem to be many different types.

I'm after a razer, spare blades, lather and a brush. I trust you guys, so if someone could post what I should get, i'll buy it. I've got up to 50GBP total really, so around that figure would be amazing :)

Thanks chaps :D

alex98uk said:
Thank you for all the input. Thinking back, I do actually remember having some OK experiences with the Gilletes, but it when I wasn't rushing to do something, so maybe you guys are right in that preparation is the real success factor. I still want to get rid of my Fusion if only for the eye watering cost of blades. I think i'll invest in a brush and some lather as well as a razer. So, from what you folks have said, I see the Gillette Tech is recommended more over the Merkur for a first time user. Because i'm new to this area, could someone post some links to Gilette Techs for sale? I googled them but there seem to be many different types.

I'm after a razer, spare blades, lather and a brush. I trust you guys, so if someone could post what I should get, i'll buy it. I've got up to 50GBP total really, so around that figure would be amazing :)

Thanks chaps :D

PM sent!

Max

Woops, not sure how I missed that. I'll have a look through it now. I know I may seem lazy not doing research, but I work from 7am to 7.30pm every day, so I try to stay off my PC when I am at home.

I think I have replied to you? My response via PM is in the outbox, but not "sent items", so i'm not sure quite what's happening there!

Exciting times. FrenchBlade has sorted out a nice beginner package for me including a Gilette Tech, some blades and soaps. I just need a brush now. Looking forward to getting it soon :D

Anyone got any tips of shaving around a mole? I have one on my cheek that sticks out a small bit. It's usually OK with my Fusion unless i'm in a rush and blast over it, that sometimes nicks it and makes it bleed (a lot (moles never, ever stop bleeding I swear :p))

Back
Top Bottom