New Shoes

So Im gonna get some new shoes for work. They will be plain black smart/formal shoes. Probably from Slaters in Glasgow or may get some Loakes if I can afford them.

My question is, should I save up a wee bit more and get 2 pairs seeing as they will being outed 5 days a week?

If you can afford it, yes.

Deffinitely.

I wear a 'disposable' wardrobe for work (Man at Matalan and Clark's shoes) but if I had anything like half a reason to wear nice clobber then I'd get two identical pairs of nice shoes.

if you need to wear smart black shoes every day, try not to make it the same pair.

shoes get very moist and supple with the sweat and heat from your foot, and this will eventually break down the leather and kill the shape of the shoe. Ideally you want to leave a pair of shoes at least one day between wears and preferably with shoe trees in them (cedar) to help them dry out, and maintain their shape.

Also for longevity, you'd be wise trying to find something with a goodyear welted leather sole. This will mean the sole can be replaced when it wears out, prolonging the life of the shoe and saving you money on new pairs. Non welted soles wear through very quickly and then the whole shoe has to be chucked.

try looking here:

http://herringshoes.co.uk/

theres a few black loakes in the sale section, with decent construction that should do you well.

Once you go to rotating shoes you'll be cross with yourself for not doing so sooner. Even with cheap shoes it's very worthwhile for quality of life - dry shoes mean happier feet.

Should you go for a reasonable quality shoe, Loake for example, they will still be wrecked in short order by wearing the same pair every day.

If your job, or commute, entails a lot of walking, you may well be looking for a repair, if the original quality/construction, allows it, or, new shoes, within a few months. If the weather is against you, not letting the shoes dry slowly before you can polish and wear them again, will see them deteriorate even quicker.

Either way, you will not be able to do without a second pair.

IMO two pairs are a must, three would be better.

I do understand that budget can be the main factor, but a couple of pairs of Loakes will come in under £200, and will save you money in the long run, if you look after them.

Steve

Absolutely Andy, if affordable. And maybe if the purse runs to it think about 2 pairs of shoe trees (not the throways which sometimes come with inexpensive shoes trying to pretend quality). Like 2 pairs of trousers with a decent suit it'll work out better in the long run.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Need to go back to my Army experience. 'Rotate your shoes or booths every day'. The white dot on the back of the heal on one of the two pairs! So you remembered which of the identical pairs you last wore. 40 plus yrs ago and I still try to do it. The reason given was not only to let the foot-ware dry out but to prevent foot problems.
One of the things about the experience that made sense.

the loakes on the TK maxx site are NOT welted soles however. And wont last long at all.

try not to get the cheap indian made loakes. If you're going down the loake avenue, try to get the english bench made examples with proper welted soles. comfier, longer lasting and easier to repair.

also check out for deals on Barker shoes.

just from the shape of the sole of the shoe. Simply doesnt look like a proper welted model. It'll be fake moulded welts built into the sole on the bottom. Jones bootmaker do the same thing on a lot of their cheaper lines.

The Indian loakes are fine for work Andy, they also wont set you back £200 +. If you are happy to pay the money then yes go for it. The herring website will tell you if it's UK or import. If you want UK made Loake then 1880 is the line and some of the Loake shoemakers line.

thankfully there are almost no loakes that get anywhere near £200+

i have a pair of loake chesters that i wear to work, they were only £185 and they are loakes top of the line 1880 with double leather sole.

The basic chelsea boots are also decently well made. They are Uk sourced and on ebay you can get the 290B for about £120. Good every day black boots.

also worth looking on www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk as they often have some reduced sale stock and i'm fairly sure that pediwear also have a few sale items left.

I would say £185 is pretty close to £200 and since it is suggested he buys two pairs....

Back
Top Bottom