new razor

right i am pretty new to shaving the safty razor way and i purchased a 38c 3 weeks ago now thats the only razor i own :(

now if someone could give me any advice on a new razor or second hand one to compare
i have no budget so what do you guys reccomend as a second razor to buy

cheers

Pretty blank canvass there Jimmy ;) ! If you are looking for something 'new' the Muhle R89 & EJ DE89 are well reviewed and have the same head - I believe (bought the Muhle last week - but haven't used it as yet).

Personally though, if i was you, i would go vintage. Go for a 40s or 50s Superspeed - deffo my favourite razors or the one i am using at the moment, a Slim Adjustable. So start skulking on t'Bay and in the BST and find yourself a bargain :D :D

Hi JimmyM, I'm with MoodyM on thinking of an older razor in preference to a current one if you're looking to expand your experiences of wet shaving. How about checking out the injector razors on the market. I've got a Schick from the 1930s & the razor itself has a nice amber handle, gold effect finish & is in excellent condition. So you don't have to get landed with some miserable looking piece of olde tat just because it's a few decades old. The injector system negates you having to handle a blade (which are still very available & last lunger than a DE blade for me). And, owing to the manner ibn which the blade is clamped in its retainer and the angle at which it is applied to the skin nicks are much less likely. I've seen them online from suppliers such as the Dutch Shaving Shop from around the 20 euro mark. If you don't like it you can always sell it on.

I have and currently use a Muhle 89 and can only agree that they are a really nice razor. But still, for a second razor why not go for a wee bit of history and consider a single edge or injector ; who knows, it may change your entire shaving experience in a way that a razor similar in design to the one you already have wouldn't.

Whatever you decide on, take your time, have a shed load of fun looking & all the best.

JohnnyO.

used a slim last night with a NOS Jewell blade and nannys Cream/Soap, fantastic shave from a fantastic razor !

If you are looking for a slim, Send a message to Erwin in Holland (User: merwtje), he is always getting nice razors, good prices, and a really helpful nice guy. (i know he had about 100 gillette razors, last time i was looking !!!

You take a gamble with what you get on the bay, with Erwin, you know your not getting sold rubbish, and he will tell you of any faults or wear before you buy it...

Steve

thanks guys but iam still confused?

are there better razors that give a better shave than a 38c?
or am i just looking for something that not there?

jimmyman said:
thanks guys but iam still confused?

are there better razors that give a better shave than a 38c?
or am i just looking for something that not there?

If you have only been using that one for three weeks, are you comfortable using it ?
are your shaves o.k ?

my first razor was a Gillette Superspeed, i used it for 4 months before i got another razor, and the next razor
i got was a Gillette Adjustable "Fatboy" with that you can try different blades, different settings for whatever shave you want.

i would say stick with it for a while longer before you get another razor.....but the choice is yours :D

sunburyboy93 said:
my first razor was a Gillette Superspeed, i used it for 4 months before i got another razor, and the next razor
i got was a Gillette Adjustable "Fatboy" with that you can try different blades, different settings for whatever shave you want.

I've done exactly the same thing with razors ;)

jimmyman said:
ive had 1 excellent shave and the other have been ok

and i dont know why
did the same all the way through my routine

what is your routine for Shaving, what products are you using etc etc, may be that your routine/technique might need altering / improving, some of us on here might be able to make some suggestions to try and give you better shaves..... ?

i am only a puppy on here, but i do know that some of the oldies...... :shock: :oops: oops i mean some of the more experienced gentleman of a certain age that have been doing this far longer than i have could help you out....?

Some of us have been known to lend razors and sample blades and creams etc etc to try out.....

Steve

Get an old SuperSpeed, don't pay more than £10 and Bob's your uncle.

Unlike the SE's (single edge) these use the same (DE) blades as the Merkur.

Very good shavers and cheap as chips if you shop around.

Back
Top Bottom