New R41

Yes the 2011 R41 is liable to leave an impression on anyone who uses it, it is certainly a razor you use with up-most care and attention but I found the 2013 version of the R41 a far more usable razor, a different beast altogether.
However, as with all things shaving and indeed all things, YMMV.
Thank you for your reply.

Paul.

You have nudged me toward retrying them. They were bought in my early days of DE shaving and a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then. They may not be so daunting now!
I would be most interested in your findings Brian, it's true for most of us that a razor can leave a positive or indeed a negative imprint on our minds when we first start out on our shaving journey's which can change years later, this can happen with blades also

Paul.

Looking forward to your review!

Yes, of course I will review or at least give you my opinions of the R41GS, there are some interesting thoughts on this razor over on B&B in the meantime.

Paul.
Well well...... well... it's about bloody time you've ordered the R41GS.

You have nudged me toward retrying them. They were bought in my early days of DE shaving and a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then. They may not be so daunting now!
I tried a R41 early days of wet shaving and binned it; a few years ago when in Berlin I purchased one from the Muhle shop and had great shaves - my improved awareness of wet shaving made all the difference.

For me the R41 shaves along the same lines as the Blackland Dart - needs respect and a higher degree of attention than most razors, but all in a good safe shave.

Agreed about the Dart. I find that skimping on getting a good, thick and slick lather when using one of the more "aggressive" razors is a quick route to problems. Time spent in lathering properly, and then paying attention to shaving pays off for me.

Well, I've just had my first shave with my R41GS, I agree with everything that's been said regards getting your lather spot on and paying attention throughout the shave, I got away with a close shave leaving me with a few weapers that an alum block sorted out afterwards.
My lather could have been better to be honest but you live and learn!
A wonderfully smooth face stroking finish that I'm very happy with.
I'm sure next time with my lather spot on all will be perfect.

Paul.

I agree - for me extra prep and slow down with the Dart; I asked Shane at Blackland about the preferred angle - his feedback was to go steep - which for me worked a treat, made a huge difference - safer, smoother shave, as opposed to riding the cap.

All the best,

Chris

Good service from Muhle UK-ordered yesterday, delivered this morning in time for a late session at the washbasin.

The razor comes in a decent, sleeve-type Muhle logo cardboard box which, along with the razor, contains a card for Muhle's London shop in Soho, a Muhle blade and an instruction booklet, which is quite comprehensive and recommends a 30 degree angle (the same as the Dart, I think). The package also contained the 10th edition of Muhle's magazine, which is handsome, profusely-illustrated coloured production in English and German.

It's a very good-looking razor, polished to within an inch of its life, and it fits together perfectly, with no blade alignment problems. At a listed 113g, it's a lot heavier than the zamak versions. The handle is a nominal 100mm (actually about 99mm) long with a main diameter of 15mm, compared to the 2013 at 87mm x 12mm (approximately). In the "mighty" stakes, it's now more in the league of my hefty Timeless razors.

Soap of choice was Signature Manucium, which I ladled on as thick as I could get it. Yesterday's razor was my Pils, so I was already tuned-in to careful angle-finding, and got round, without bloodshed, in one pass and a touch-up or two. That's one smooth shaver, and I think (based on folk memory, as I haven't used it recently) better all around than my 2013.

Some redness of the chops, and a slight sting from the Floid Mentolado Vigoroso were as expected, but otherwise no other effects.

This is a very good razor (yet another), but like its zamak brothers, it needs very careful attention. In the words of the ad, "a featherlight touch gives a perfect shave". Given the extra weight of the stainless model, even more care is needed in lathering and achieving the right angle. I try not to use razors that can bite me so easily when I'm rushing, and this is one that needs time taken, to shave at a leisurely pace. Unless one has a Desperate Dan profusion of beard, it isn't a razor I'd use to shave with daily. However, in pandemic times when daily shaving isn't always required, it's ideal for whipping off a couple of days' growth.

It's what is known as an "heirloom" razor, and I can't see it wearing out in a hurry. I paid an extra £1.50 for DPD delivery, which arrived bang on the start of the one hour time slot emailed to me, which makes the all-up cost to be £116.50. That's not cheap, and somewhat dearer than some stainless North American razors in the £80-£100 range, but I think that I've got my money's worth.

I'm pleased you had a great first shave with the new R41, may I ask what blade you used? Thanks.

Paul.