New R41

I use them occasionally because I have them. I like to try 'to keep my hand in'. I wouldn't use them regularly as I don'y feel really comfortable with them. I suppose the 2011 version left a lasting impression. The only other razor I have which causes the same fear/respect is the Ikon Tech!
Yes the 2011 R41 is liable to leave an impression on anyone who uses it, it is certainly a razor you use with up-most care and attention but I found the 2013 version of the R41 a far more usable razor, a different beast altogether.
However, as with all things shaving and indeed all things, YMMV. :)
Thank you for your reply.

Paul.

You have nudged me toward retrying them. They were bought in my early days of DE shaving and a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then. They may not be so daunting now!
I would be most interested in your findings Brian, it's true for most of us that a razor can leave a positive or indeed a negative imprint on our minds when we first start out on our shaving journey's which can change years later, this can happen with blades also :)

Paul.

In celebration of the tenth anniversary of the Muhle R41 ......the R41GS, a razor I've been waiting to come into being for a long time!
Because of this momentous occasion I have done some nocturnal shopping (all my best shopping is nocturnal) and I will soon have what I've been waiting for, a stainless steel R41!!! Come to daddy! :cool:

Paul.

Looking forward to your review!

In celebration of the tenth anniversary of the Muhle R41 ......the R41GS, a razor I've been waiting to come into being for a long time!
Because of this momentous occasion I have done some nocturnal shopping (all my best shopping is nocturnal) and I will soon have what I've been waiting for, a stainless steel R41!!! Come to daddy! :cool:

Paul.
Yes, of course I will review or at least give you my opinions of the R41GS, there are some interesting thoughts on this razor over on B&B in the meantime. :)

Paul.
Well well...... well... it's about bloody time you've ordered the R41GS.

You have nudged me toward retrying them. They were bought in my early days of DE shaving and a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then. They may not be so daunting now!
I tried a R41 early days of wet shaving and binned it; a few years ago when in Berlin I purchased one from the Muhle shop and had great shaves - my improved awareness of wet shaving made all the difference.

For me the R41 shaves along the same lines as the Blackland Dart - needs respect and a higher degree of attention than most razors, but all in a good safe shave.

I tried a R41 early days of wet shaving and binned it; a few years ago when in Berlin I purchased one from the Muhle shop and had great shaves - my improved awareness of wet shaving made all the difference.

For me the R41 shaves along the same lines as the Blackland Dart - needs respect and a higher degree of attention than most razors, but all in a good safe shave.
Agreed about the Dart. I find that skimping on getting a good, thick and slick lather when using one of the more "aggressive" razors is a quick route to problems. Time spent in lathering properly, and then paying attention to shaving pays off for me.

Well, I've just had my first shave with my R41GS, I agree with everything that's been said regards getting your lather spot on and paying attention throughout the shave, I got away with a close shave leaving me with a few weapers that an alum block sorted out afterwards.
My lather could have been better to be honest but you live and learn!
A wonderfully smooth face stroking finish that I'm very happy with.
I'm sure next time with my lather spot on all will be perfect. :cool:

Paul.

Agreed about the Dart. I find that skimping on getting a good, thick and slick lather when using one of the more "aggressive" razors is a quick route to problems. Time spent in lathering properly, and then paying attention to shaving pays off for me.
I agree - for me extra prep and slow down with the Dart; I asked Shane at Blackland about the preferred angle - his feedback was to go steep - which for me worked a treat, made a huge difference - safer, smoother shave, as opposed to riding the cap.

All the best,

Chris

Good service from Muhle UK-ordered yesterday, delivered this morning in time for a late session at the washbasin.

The razor comes in a decent, sleeve-type Muhle logo cardboard box which, along with the razor, contains a card for Muhle's London shop in Soho, a Muhle blade and an instruction booklet, which is quite comprehensive and recommends a 30 degree angle (the same as the Dart, I think). The package also contained the 10th edition of Muhle's magazine, which is handsome, profusely-illustrated coloured production in English and German.

It's a very good-looking razor, polished to within an inch of its life, and it fits together perfectly, with no blade alignment problems. At a listed 113g, it's a lot heavier than the zamak versions. The handle is a nominal 100mm (actually about 99mm) long with a main diameter of 15mm, compared to the 2013 at 87mm x 12mm (approximately). In the "mighty" stakes, it's now more in the league of my hefty Timeless razors.

Soap of choice was Signature Manucium, which I ladled on as thick as I could get it. Yesterday's razor was my Pils, so I was already tuned-in to careful angle-finding, and got round, without bloodshed, in one pass and a touch-up or two. That's one smooth shaver, and I think (based on folk memory, as I haven't used it recently) better all around than my 2013.

Some redness of the chops, and a slight sting from the Floid Mentolado Vigoroso were as expected, but otherwise no other effects.

This is a very good razor (yet another), but like its zamak brothers, it needs very careful attention. In the words of the ad, "a featherlight touch gives a perfect shave". Given the extra weight of the stainless model, even more care is needed in lathering and achieving the right angle. I try not to use razors that can bite me so easily when I'm rushing, and this is one that needs time taken, to shave at a leisurely pace. Unless one has a Desperate Dan profusion of beard, it isn't a razor I'd use to shave with daily. However, in pandemic times when daily shaving isn't always required, it's ideal for whipping off a couple of days' growth.

It's what is known as an "heirloom" razor, and I can't see it wearing out in a hurry. I paid an extra £1.50 for DPD delivery, which arrived bang on the start of the one hour time slot emailed to me, which makes the all-up cost to be £116.50. That's not cheap, and somewhat dearer than some stainless North American razors in the £80-£100 range, but I think that I've got my money's worth.

Good service from Muhle UK-ordered yesterday, delivered this morning in time for a late session at the washbasin.

The razor comes in a decent, sleeve-type Muhle logo cardboard box which, along with the razor, contains a card for Muhle's London shop in Soho, a Muhle blade and an instruction booklet, which is quite comprehensive and recommends a 30 degree angle (the same as the Dart, I think). The package also contained the 10th edition of Muhle's magazine, which is handsome, profusely-illustrated coloured production in English and German.

It's a very good-looking razor, polished to within an inch of its life, and it fits together perfectly, with no blade alignment problems. At a listed 113g, it's a lot heavier than the zamak versions. The handle is a nominal 100mm (actually about 99mm) long with a main diameter of 15mm, compared to the 2013 at 87mm x 12mm (approximately). In the "mighty" stakes, it's now more in the league of my hefty Timeless razors.

Soap of choice was Signature Manucium, which I ladled on as thick as I could get it. Yesterday's razor was my Pils, so I was already tuned-in to careful angle-finding, and got round, without bloodshed, in one pass and a touch-up or two. That's one smooth shaver, and I think (based on folk memory, as I haven't used it recently) better all around than my 2013.

Some redness of the chops, and a slight sting from the Floid Mentolado Vigoroso were as expected, but otherwise no other effects.

This is a very good razor (yet another), but like its zamak brothers, it needs very careful attention. In the words of the ad, "a featherlight touch gives a perfect shave". Given the extra weight of the stainless model, even more care is needed in lathering and achieving the right angle. I try not to use razors that can bite me so easily when I'm rushing, and this is one that needs time taken, to shave at a leisurely pace. Unless one has a Desperate Dan profusion of beard, it isn't a razor I'd use to shave with daily. However, in pandemic times when daily shaving isn't always required, it's ideal for whipping off a couple of days' growth.

It's what is known as an "heirloom" razor, and I can't see it wearing out in a hurry. I paid an extra £1.50 for DPD delivery, which arrived bang on the start of the one hour time slot emailed to me, which makes the all-up cost to be £116.50. That's not cheap, and somewhat dearer than some stainless North American razors in the £80-£100 range, but I think that I've got my money's worth.
I'm pleased you had a great first shave with the new R41, may I ask what blade you used? Thanks.

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom