New face, new razor, new blood

Hi Fellas!

Just wanted to say 'Hi'! I am new to shaving, although 30 and with a decent growth, I have always struggled with spots (especially in the 'goatee' area). However, lately I have been staying out in the sticks where I don't see anyone- so I figured I'd try and overcome this by using an electric razor and free myself from the confines of the beard trimmer.

First day, loved the smoothness. Second day, hello whiteheads. Did some reading and DE razors & soap recommended. Ordered a Edwin Jagger DE89BL from amazon, along with some Crabtree & Evelyn 'Nomad' soap and a Jagger badger brush. Using the Derby blades that came with and feel like I am engraving my face more than shaving it but I'll get there. Starting to understand the grain and work with it. Not sure if these blades are sharp enough for me, but then again it may just be a technique thing... Still getting the spots, but hoping by working with the grain more carefully and not stretching skin will help. Next stop will be some sort of pre-shave balm I guess. Currently using Crabtree & Evelyn 'post-shave relief' (The soap and this cream were gifts from a while back, never used until now!)

Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself and give a bit of background- I look forward to talking to you all as the calendar gets thinner :)

Hi Coda

Welcome to TSR

A good wash and rinse followed by your soap lather should really be enough. But like the rest of us, you will enjoy trying a lot of different things once you see the many suggestions and ideas here!

Hello Coda, and welcome to the forum.

There's plenty of advice on offer if you want it; mine is not to worry. Anyone who changes their shaving regimen is likely to have a bit of bother whilst their skin adjusts. Take it easy!

Hi, and welcome to TSR!

The whiteheads also come from time to time for me, typically if I have been a little to aggressive on the face.

The Derby's are sharp enough, but they are rough on some people. Personally they are not my favorites. A smoother blade like Red Personna or Gillette 7 o'clock yellow might be worth a try. Check out <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.connaught-shaving.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.connaught-shaving.com</a><!-- m -->, he has very good blade sampler packs as well.

If you are grating your face with the razor, you are applying to much pressure. Its easy to do in the beginning, because you are probably used to being able to apply more pressure with a cartridge razor, and the electric just needs some pressure to get to the bottom of the growth...

Be sure to wash your face thoroughly before shaving. A bit of shampoo from your shower will suffice.

Make sure you learn to make excellent lather, and do it fast! This is the most important thing to a successful shave.

/Max

I used to get the odd tiny whitehead even after I rinsed my face for ages.

The answer for me was to use alum post shave. Not had one since :)

mstrunck said:
If you are grating your face with the razor, you are applying to much pressure. Its easy to do in the beginning, because you are probably used to being able to apply more pressure with a cartridge razor, and the electric just needs some pressure to get to the bottom of the growth.

Totally agree!

Welcome Coda! Are you a musician?

Gently, gently. Now imagine the Gillette girl rubbing your chops in satisfaction and then give her slap and say NO!

"Gillette girl I am not made out of marble and if you want to stroke something go find your pussy"

Edit: shoddy spelling

antdad said:
Gently, gently. Now imagine the Gillette girl rubbing your chops in satisfaction and then give her slap and so NO!

Gillette girl I am not made out of marble and if you want to stroke something go find your pussy.

3..2..1.. and you're back in the room :?

Good morning and welcome :)

Advice? Just about all of the above, so give it time and if experimenting, just change one item at a time.

Wow! Thank you all for the lovely warm welcome! I will certainly check out those suggestions (and training videos). Oh, and antdad- you made me spit out my elevenses, so well done there ;)

Welcome.

As others have said little pressure, it's so easy to apply more pressure to think that you are getting a closer shave.The razor you have is a good one, I'd consider other blades as already mentioned.

Also with the washing your face pre shave, avoid normal soaps as they dry your skin. I use nivea face wash/cleanser.

Back
Top Bottom